• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Québec St. Jean Batiste Society Files Complaint Against "English-Only" Web Site.

Chispa

Inactive
Reaction score
Well we're all aware post America's polarized election, that racism, etc., is alive and prospering in American. Same can be said about Québec, French Vs English as all ethnic groups in La belle Provence. In this Provence of Canada the English language as decedents constantly suffer the back lash from French Racist Nationalists. Every year for decades been bluntly, aggressively advised: Ici c'est le Québéc est on parle Français....Or:On parle Français, ici c’est le Québéc.

However not all "Canadien"..... then known as "Canadien-Français," and by Rene Leveque's time mainly Québécois now the Français fallows, while Le français québécois is the language......are, in fact very respectful, willing to speak English with no issue,... send their kinds too English privet schools, etc., which infuriates Hard-Liners and supporters.

ST. JEAN BAPTISTE SOCIETY FILES COMPLAINTS AGAINST ENGLISH-ONLY WEB SITES.

Members of Montreal's nationalist St. Jean Baptiste Society paid a visit to the Office Québécois de la Langue Française on Tuesday morning — to deliver hundreds of complaints.

With a little fanfare, and with the media on hand, they walked across Sherbrooke St. from their headquarters to the OQLF's headquarters with a box containing no less than 423 complaints — all dealing with the language of web sites.

A political scientist spent the last eight or nine months researching about 1,200 web sites belonging to companies working out of the Technoparc in St. Laurent, and found that of those 1,200 companies, about 70 per cent of their web sites were in English only.

Maxime Laporte, the group's president, says it's a question of respect.

"That means that francophone consumers have commercial information of lesser quality than anglophone consumers," Laporte told CTV News.

The OQLF will now conduct an investigation — though for the moment, it's not clear when, or if, any of those complaints will result in the offending companies receiving official notices from the language body.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/news/watch-st-jean-baptiste-society-files-complaints-against-english-only-web-sites-1.2190138

C.U.

Chispa said:
Well we're all aware post America's polarized election, that racism, etc., is alive and prospering in American.

Anyone who thinks racism in America (or Canada) is a result of the recent election hasn't logged into twitter facebook youtube or any other SM website int he last 10 years.

Jarnhamar said:
Anyone who thinks racism in America (or Canada) is a result of the recent election hasn't logged into twitter facebook youtube or any other SM website int he last 10 years.

Racism has been around for many moons around the world, although many believe in USA case, intensified by America's election...try Pre and Post WWW.....even growing up at the age of 7 went to a School, with 5 floors, owing too its size split with a separating inner wall in half. English and French kinds would constantly during recess fight in the school yard, etc., they added a fence, and that only worked until the snow came, hitting each other with frozen iced snow balls, a few got seriously hurt...  [lol:

Chispa:

I was going to write an extensive reply to your original post, but there is no point arguing with an a-hole that obviously has a burr up his a**.

I will only make one small point: you should learn at least one official languages of this country - I don't care which one - for your written English and French are just terrible, full of spelling and grammatical mistakes, and frankly unreadable without breaking in eaves.

I just took a look at the (a?) ST. JEAN BAPTISTE SOCIETY webpage. No English translation  ::)

Jarnhamar said:
I just took a look at the (a?) ST. JEAN BAPTISTE SOCIETY webpage. No English translation  ::)

>:D

The requirement to be bilingual only applies to anglophones........ >:D

Ottawa is basically a bilingual city, and will become more so every year as more and more children pass through the cities school system.  Some Quebecers and Ontario Francophones are demanding that the municipal government pass a by-law making it an "Officially Bilingual" city, with no such requirement being placed on the other half of the NCR, the City of Gatineau.

Most people don't give it much thought, until it is thrown in their face.  It is that sort of demand that sours the opinions of many who do not see a problem with the status quo, as the numbers of bilingual Canadians grow annually.  These radical policies of those few are a form of 'linguistic genocide' being perpetuated by a tiny, but vocal, group. 

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Chispa:

I was going to write an extensive reply to your original post, but there is no point arguing with an a-hole that obviously has a burr up his a**.

I will only make one small point: you should learn at least one official languages of this country - I don't care which one - for your written English and French are just terrible, full of spelling and grammatical mistakes, and frankly unreadable without breaking in eaves.

My apologies for all my American, Canadian and French spelling, not forgetting, all those incoherent grammar mistakes, seems obvious....

Let me know when your eyes start watering......Thank U for the small point; I'll try harder...... 

C.U.

Chispa said:
Racism has been around for many moons around the world, although many believe in USA case, intensified by America's election...try Pre and Post WWW.....even growing up at the age of 7 went to a School, with 5 floors, owing too its size split with a separating inner wall in half. English and French kinds would constantly during recess fight in the school yard, etc., they added a fence, and that only worked until the snow came, hitting each other with frozen iced snow balls, a few got seriously hurt...  [lol:

If you think the US is bad, go live in Malaysia, you will see institutionalized racism, discrimination and segregation based on religion ans ethnic group.

I didn't know linguistic disputes constituted some form of racism.... ::)

Different but similar ?

Developer vows to go ahead with Montreal-area Muslim housing project despite opposition

A tax accountant is still hoping to go ahead with a plan to build dozens of homes for Muslim families in the Montreal suburb of Brossard despite opposition from much of Quebec's political establishment, including the premier.

Nabil Warda, 68, says he feels "drained" by the criticism, adding that much of the concern stems from misunderstanding about the real estate development plan to build a community for about 100 Muslim families.

The main goal is to provide a way for Muslims to buy homes without taking on traditional mortgages, which are prohibited under certain interpretations of Islamic law, he said in a phone interview Wednesday.

But Warda, an Egyptian-born Christian who converted to Islam, stressed he has no interest in ensuring the people who live in the development adhere to a strict interpretation of Islam — or, in fact, are practising Muslims.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-brossard-muslim-development-nabil-warda-1.3853435

Back