• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public service employment has grown by 31 per cent

The Min/Max settings aren't turned off. They were working on FRE. Unless something has changed since '20. Or you mean something is shut off at the LCMM level, which wouldn't surprise me.

But we routinely had our warehouse levels restocked by the min/max settings.
Yeah, at the national level it was turned off. It still generates a notice, but the supply manager has to manually pull it up and start a buy. Usually they end up with a big pile of items and we manually triage them to pull some things forward (which usually happens when an HPR comes up and there are outstanding demands).

A lot of the demands are legacy ones or duplicates as well so there is a lot of noise in the system. But there isn't anything to predict what materials PM will use, so the only data we get is retroactive. So if maintenance isn't getting done because parts aren't available, equipment is broken, or there isn't time, the usage rates become kind of garbage.

Which is unfortunate because if the PMs had a bill of material could use it for handy things like generating a suggested resupply forecast for deployed ships as a starting point, instead of the ship having to pull that together themselves. We tried to get that added on when we update PM routines but there was more interest in doing dashboards or something for the BGHs (based on bad data anyway).

But using a ship building examples, all jobs include a BOM as standard, and if you know rough delivery time you can have things like drop dead dates for procurement to meet the schedule automatically to help prioritize things. The problem we run into is some things are 2 year lead times, but when shelves run dry there is only about a six month (at best) early call up, so unless we have a two year supply as the min usually run out before we get new stuff in. At least with DWPs we start that way earlier and build a list manually, but have nothing for in service AFAIK.

The related issue is years ago we also got pushed to cut down on stock levels to reduce warehousing costs, but never came with any kind of increased resources or funding to actually be able to get down to 6-12 months of stock with continuous resupply. We're slowly on our end going back to a 2-3 year minimum level for common items, and for things at end of life, starting to buy enough for multiple ships when we see things like the same valves and gauges starting to fail because they are 25-30 years old.

We are in the process of trying to get a giant ISSC to basically just buy stuff and find replacements for obsolete components to get the CPFs out to end of life but it's grinding through very slowly and stuck in the SCBA process. It's a bit like being told you have to cross a bureaucratic bridge to go somewhere, when it's still a napkin sketch, and slowly starting to make your way across as it's being built (and hoping it doesn't collapse). Not hugely efficient, with a few people working on the process full time, but will be a 9 figure contract (if the CPFs don't self retire before it gets in place). Won't be sexy work but without boring things like valves, sensors, gauges etc the multi-billion dollar combat kit is just top weight on a steel box.

Meanwhile, at Amazon....

Amazon to open robotics-backed fulfilment centre in Ontario​

The centre, known as YXU1, will see employees work alongside robotics technology

Amazon Canada. says it will open a new robotics-backed fulfilment centre south of London, Ont. later this year.

The e-commerce giant says the new fulfilment centre is expected to open in Southwold on Oct. 1.

The centre, known as YXU1, will see employees work alongside robotics technology to pick, pack and ship up to 750,000 items a day.

Yeah, at the national level it was turned off. It still generates a notice, but the supply manager has to manually pull it up and start a buy. Usually they end up with a big pile of items and we manually triage them to pull some things forward (which usually happens when an HPR comes up and there are outstanding demands).

We are in the process of trying to get a giant ISSC to basically just buy stuff and find replacements for obsolete components to get the CPFs out to end of life but it's grinding through very slowly and stuck in the SCBA process. It's a bit like being told you have to cross a bureaucratic bridge to go somewhere, when it's still a napkin sketch, and slowly starting to make your way across as it's being built (and hoping it doesn't collapse). Not hugely efficient, with a few people working on the process full time, but will be a 9 figure contract (if the CPFs don't self retire before it gets in place). Won't be sexy work but without boring things like valves, sensors, gauges etc the multi-billion dollar combat kit is just top weight on a steel box.
There are some limited ways around that but they also involve lots of upfront work (ISSC) to set up and are contrary to our 1960s system of the buck stopping at the LCMM/SM who then decide how much to procure and either do it or have a PA do it. Lots of teams make it easier with SOAs so it is just a call up but as you point out lots of work regardless.

A lot of the demands are legacy ones or duplicates as well so there is a lot of noise in the system. But there isn't anything to predict what materials PM will use, so the only data we get is retroactive. So if maintenance isn't getting done because parts aren't available, equipment is broken, or there isn't time, the usage rates become kind of garbage.
Yea it is painful. We have never taught anybody to how to monitor their demands very well in the system (nor was it easy) or even how the system logic worked so there is as you said lots of noise. Lots of blame to go around as everyone just kinda let it go.

That is one of the files I work at the 3rd line level and it is crazy how many dated demands or duplicate demands are in the system (or could be filled if the depot was changed from one to the other). They stay in the system because folks don't know they have pending demands (or they deleted it at the 1st line but not 2nd line) and that no one is really empowered to delete demands that don't belong to them (although an SM can do so for the material they control).

There is no one owner of the DSC and it shows as most folks only care about their piece of the pie as a general rule. We did a big push a few years ago to get all levels to reduce their outstanding receipts as folks were getting material but not doing the requisite transactions to indicate it in the system. We need to do the same for demands but more importantly just get better at monitoring the system overall.

There's a difficult-to-reconcile tension between the desire of those who want to shorten work weeks and obtain more work-life balance, and those who want Canadians to toil in fear that someone willing to work long hours and shorter breaks will take their jobs.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the fence .... and skills training won't make a shred of difference when government shows how much it hates entrepreneurs on a regular basis - like the tax regime etc ...

Canada has fewer entrepreneurs today than it did 20 years ago — and that's a big problem for everyone​

With 100,000 fewer entrepreneurs than in 2000, BDC recommends skills training​

Too expensive to be a entrepreneur. I considered it for a simple maintenance contracting operation (i.e. basically just myself being contracted to work at companies). So much red tape, it just is not worth it. The only way it becomes somewhat viable is if you take over a business from someone else who has done the work already.

Business is booming, if you're business isn't business ;)

The one big growth industry of the Trudeau years—the bureaucracy​

View attachment 79217

I was there for the dips under Chretien and Harper. Harper hit was deeper, but poorly done, with some more thought and work, it would have worked better and be more sustainable. Instead we ended up quickly replacing the people lost when regulatory cuts did not provide the workload benefits they thought it would.

I was there for the dips under Chretien and Harper. Harper hit was deeper, but poorly done, with some more thought and work, it would have worked better and be more sustainable. Instead we ended up quickly replacing the people lost when regulatory cuts did not provide the workload benefits they thought it would.
If you are talking about the DRAP it was absolutely poorly done. It was done for political expediency and made a mess that in some areas are still being felt.

It won’t matter who is in power, the PS will see reductions and program cuts. I’m not sure I trust either party to do it right but I certainly don’t trust the CPC to get it right as I suspect they’ll just pull out the last play book they used.

If you are talking about the DRAP it was absolutely poorly done. It was done for political expediency and made a mess that in some areas are still being felt.

It won’t matter who is in power, the PS will see reductions and program cuts. I’m not sure I trust either party to do it right but I certainly don’t trust the CPC to get it right as I suspect they’ll just pull out the last play book they used.
Work Force Adjustment, a 40% labour force cut to my program.

Back