• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public duties - RCAF

Remius said:
They look good.

Agreed - and a whole lot better than the shambles that turned out for Harry's wedding.

Blackadder1916 said:
Much like 2 PPCLI who provided the Guard one year ago, Canadians are again in London and Windsor protecting the Sovereign.  This time in Air Force blue.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/events/public-duties.page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rQ2DeW7aaY

That's awesome. Well done all!

I understand that it's also the 100th anniversary of the founding of the RAF. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force

Remius said:
They look good.

They do, but what would the forum be without picking out the flaws.

https://youtu.be/9rQ2DeW7aaY?t=51

Over the major's right shoulder, airmen along the wall, second man right of the tree, using his rifle's magazine as a footrest.

Blackadder1916 said:

Over the major's right shoulder, airmen along the wall, second man right of the tree, using his rifle's magazine as a footrest.
I've never seen that before.  :rofl:

Then there is the MARLANT poopshow for the GG  :facepalm:

https://www.facebook.com/GGJuliePayette/videos/2293665957325394/

FSTO said:

Gah...

Blackadder1916 said:

*Twitch twitch*

FSTO said:

When I was a Cpl on the guard in MARLANT we would do a single one hour practice before a task... When your job doesn't include drill of any kind on a regular basis there is bound to be skill fade, and one hour every few weeks or months isn't enough to keep you sharp. The RCAF team spent 6 weeks in Winnipeg practicing before heading over, and it shows in how sharp they look.

Furniture said:
When I was a Cpl on the guard in MARLANT we would do a single one hour practice before a task... When your job doesn't include drill of any kind on a regular basis there is bound to be skill fade, and one hour every few weeks or months isn't enough to keep you sharp. The RCAF team spent 6 weeks in Winnipeg practicing before heading over, and it shows in how sharp they look.

Well MARLANT is the "Operational Coast" after all. (sarcasm)

It's like they don't give a **** in Halifax anymore. They couldn't find a female LCdr to be guard Commander? Scabbard not hooked up, sword belt outside of the jacket, holding the sword wrong, WTF kind of salute was that during the Royal Salute?
If Rear Admiral Bains doesn't send a rocket down to Seamanship Div I sure as hell hope the Formation Chief does. That was a total embarrassment! 

Furniture said:

Does not excuse the fact that personal drill was terrible.  Belts were worn like gunslingers and the Parade Commander wore her belt on the outside of her tunic.

Furniture said:

I remember doing that duty a few times.

Remius said:
Does not excuse the fact that personal drill was terrible.  Belts were worn like gunslingers and the Parade Commander wore her belt on the outside of her tunic.

Troops can spend the work day practicing drill, or they can spend the day doing the jobs they are trained to do... If we want people to look good on parades then we need to have a unit that does that as a job. Taking clerks, maintainers, cooks, forecasters, etc. and expecting them to look as good as people doing nothing but drill and ceremony as a full time job is setting yourself up for failure.

If we want a sharp looking guard at all times then we should make it a tasking and have people rotate in/out every 3-4 months. That's long enough to become good at drill, and uniform maintenance, but not so long that job skill fade is a real concern. Otherwise we will continue to have guards thrown together on short notice that are filled with people that look like a mess.

Furniture said:
Troops can spend the work day practicing drill, or they can spend the day doing the jobs they are trained to do... If we want people to look good on parades then we need to have a unit that does that as a job. Taking clerks, maintainers, cooks, forecasters, etc. and expecting them to look as good as people doing nothing but drill and ceremony as a full time job is setting yourself up for failure.

If we want a sharp looking guard at all times then we should make it a tasking and have people rotate in/out every 3-4 months. That's long enough to become good at drill, and uniform maintenance, but not so long that job skill fade is a real concern. Otherwise we will continue to have guards thrown together on short notice that are filled with people that look like a mess.

Tightening a white belt and having a crisp salute or coming to attention doesn’t take a lot of time to master or maintain. Knowing how to wear a sword or finding out is incumbant on the individual. 

I can understand collective drill not being up to snuff.

If they look like a mess it’s a failure on the individuals and the leadership.

Remius said:
Tightening a white belt and having a crisp salute or coming to attention doesn’t take a lot of time to master or maintain. Knowing how to wear a sword or finding out is incumbant on the individual. 

The prominent beer guts will take a bit of work too :)

Remius said:

Keeping individual drill up to snuff still takes and individual's time away from their personal job. And really, it's not something that can reasonably be practiced on your own anyways.

I'm also firmly of the opinion that every hour spent on drill is an hour that could be spent doing pretty much anything more useful. What actual utility do we gain out of this? How does it contribute to operational capability? Not one whit.

Furniture said:

Drill and parades are part of the jobs of clerks, maintainers, cooks, forecasters, etc.  I wouldn't expect them to be as sharp as the USMC Drill Team, but that was pretty bad.  Every CAF member should be able to do basic foot and weapons drill, and know how to wear the uniforms they are issued.  Full stop.

I don't know about the world you live in, but my world, there aren't enough people to keep the line ops at 100%. 

So, with an RCAF bunch over there this year to coincide with Canada Day and an Army bunch (2 PPCLI) over there last year for the same Canada Day period, anyone want odds that someone in the RCN is already hatching plans to have a Navy bunch over there next year.

Back