• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Professional and Personal References Requirement on Application

Draekz

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey All,

I looked at all the topics on this thread and didnt see anything relevant to my question. Sorry if this is a repeat post.

My question is this. I've worked with the same employer for the last 9 years (roughly). It seems i need several professional and personal references. Sadly, my current supervisor doesnt like me (long story, but we were friends and recently had a falling out. WIthout getting into details, he would likely not even attempt to shine any good light on me). Because of this, my branch manager only gets the information my supervisor provides. Im concerned this could affect my application. I dont know any professional "references" outside of work. I rarely see the doctor, I dont have a lawyer i use for anything, i never go to the bank. All i have is my wife and 1.5 year old son. Her family, my mom and siblings and my friends family from years back.

I've basically become a bit of a hermit. I've been burned by poor judgement in friends so I just have a very select few and besides working and coming home to my house and wife and son, i dont get out much so i have NO idea what kind of references i can use.

I guess my question is - does anyone have any other suggestions as to who i can use for references? Or if not that, is there some kind of way to test my character as a person? Sounds ridiculous, i know but I'm honest about everything and have nothing to hide.. its just i dont know enough people to provide references.

OH and recently, someone left my current workplace and she asked for a reference and its against "my companies policy to provide references". Soo, even if i did want to - i couldnt. Im screwed i think  :P

Anyway, thanks much for any enlightenment in this situation. I've been reading up for a couple weeks now and finally was reading into the application process and realized.. damn... i dont know anyone.

This is one of the biggest choices i've ever had to make (applying for the military) and its been a long process even getting here. Discussions with my wife and all that stuff. I just want things to go as smoothly as possible and hope that as long as i pass everything else with flying colors that this wouldnt necessarily be an issue.

Again, thanks kindly and sorry for the long-windedness of this post.

Kindly,

Ken M.

Hello Draekz

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Armed Forces.

Here are some suggestions of people that you can your for references;
Lawyers
Family Doctor
Teachers
Team coaches, as long as they have known you for five years.
If you have volunteered or were in the cadet programs, supervisors there can be used a reference. There is also your past and present employer's. I hope this answers your question.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. 

Hey Robert,

Thanks for the reply! I thought maybe i had asked the question wrong but you answered, so thank you! I ended up asking an associate whose other half is in the military and they clarified the situation for me a little. The next question i have is, would a dentist count? I see my dentist a few times a year and have known her for several years. As well, just to refresh is it 3 professional references or 5 that i needed? I might be able to find 3 people but 5 is out of the question for me unfortunately. I'm 33 and have been out of school for years and havent been part of a team at all. Married with children and all that! lol Before my current job of 9 years, i only held the previous job for 2 years (because of my current job) and the one before that was 2 years as well (attempted school so worked at a grocery store and such).

Also, if family members have served or are currently serving, does that in any way substitute for a potential shortage in professional references? From what i understand, the references are mainly there to make sure i am who i say i am. (I may likely be wrong in that assumption but its what i might gather is a good reason for needing all the references).

Sorry for my ignorance but thank you kindly for any forthcoming information.

Draekz

You will require 3 professional references, and 5 in total.

Your dentist will be fine.

Just remember you are not too use family members as references.

Thanks again!!

Im aware of the family not being a reference! I'll see what I can do! Again, appreciate taking the time to answer these questions. Its much appreciated!

Draekz

Hi,

Sorry to just chime in but I have a quick question regarding the same topic and figured it'd be more efficient to use this thread.

I was just wondering how rigid the CF is about knowing the references for 5 years? I am positive I can pull together references that I have known for 5 years, but some will be people I haven't been in contact with for years. Unfortunately, my current University professors and coworkers, who know me best, do not fall within the 5 years, all of which are around 4 years.

Thank you for your help.

Jay,

hello peltch34

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Armed Forces.

When it comes to references, it is a person who has known you for 5 years or known you since the age of 16 which ever comes first.

In case anyone was following this thread, I thought i should clear up that I finally got contact from the Application Management Team on Nov 17th! It appears they were backlogged due to a glitch in the system or something of that nature, I received my "make an appointment" email on November 21, 2014 at 11:20am!

Excited and nervous and all the feelings in between. This means its really starting, its up to me now to make sure you guys actually want me in the force! I hope it works out!!!

Ken

Back