• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Probably a stupid question, but any answers would help.

snsca

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright so  just finished BMQ and was thinking about transferring from army to navy, my main concern is though that I can't swim.

So I was wondering if swimming is a big part of training in the navy, and if so would I be able to serve in the navy not being able to swim?
Thanks.

Think about it, you go out on a ship/boat and the nearest land is 1 mile away (straight down).... How long can you tread water?

Seriously though I know some sailers here on the wet coast that can't swim.... Remember that everybody still (I think) has to pass the military swim test......

Nah, being able to swim would be tempting fate.  ::)  ;)

Rodahn said:
Think about it, you go out on a ship/boat and the nearest land is 1 mile away (straight down).... How long can you tread water?

Seriously though I know some sailers here on the wet coast that can't swim.... Remember that everybody still (I think) has to pass the military swim test......

That is the way I have looked at it for the last 30 years.  If I fall over I don't want to swim until I get tired and then go down.  I plan to make it quick.

I am one that has never passed the military swim test.  In boot camp I spent 3 nights a week in the pool after supper trying to learn to swim.  I didn't pass then and have yet learned to swim.

So to answer the question  "no, you don't need to know how to swim" just keep your life jacket handy.

Harley Sailor said:
That is the way I have looked at it for the last 30 years.  If I fall over I don't want to swim until I get tired and then go down.  I plan to make it quick.

I am one that has never passed the military swim test.  In boot camp I spent 3 nights a week in the pool after supper trying to learn to swim.  I didn't pass then and have yet learned to swim.

So to answer the question  "no, you don't need to know how to swim" just keep your life jacket handy.

Thanks.

Just curious, what is the requirement for the navy swim test? I'm not completely unable to swim, but if it's in the least bit complicated I doubt I could pass it.

snsca said:
Thanks.

Just curious, what is the requirement for the navy swim test? I'm not completely unable to swim, but if it's in the least bit complicated I doubt I could pass it.

CF Swim test.........

SNSCA, not a stupid question. In the event we go down I know in all likelyhood I will be a casualty. Its something that  you should realize though, that you may fall overboard and should you not learn to swim, you might not be able to keep yourself alive long enough to be rescued.

Harley Sailor said:

Same situation here as well. We still get people in the Navy that have not the swim test portion of BMQ.

Then again you could always become a ship's diver..... And just live in your wet suit...... Though your mess mates might object after a while......

Even dry suits don't work all that well in some water..... And I am speaking from experience here, having been diving on the submarine pens in Kiel in the Baltic sea.....

Rodahn said:
Then again you could always become a ship's diver..... And just live in your wet suit...... Though your mess mates might object after a while......

Even dry suits don't work all that well in some water..... And I am speaking from experience here, having been diving on the submarine pens in Kiel in the Baltic sea.....

They would not let me be a ship's diver.  They said not knowing how to swim would make me a better diver because I had no bad habits.  Then they said the pre qual was to swim 3 lenghts of the pool without help.  Because I could not do the pre qual I could not take the course even though the instructors said not being a swimmer would not be a problem on the course.  Go figure.

And of course, depending on where you go overboard, being able to swim may not be much of an issue if you die of cold water immersion (exposure) first....

Harley Sailor said:
They would not let me be a ship's diver.  They said not knowing how to swim would make me a better diver because I had no bad habits.  Then they said the pre qual was to swim 3 lenghts of the pool without help.  Because I could not do the pre qual I could not take the course even though the instructors said not being a swimmer would not be a problem on the course.  Go figure.

negative, im a ships diver and my ass cannot swim very well.

mmike said:
negative, im a ships diver and my *** cannot swim very well.

There's a big difference between "cannot swim very well" and not being able to swim at all.  I couldn't make it to the side of a pool from four feet out.

Don't worry about it, lots of guys in the Navy don't know how to swim. We do a sea survival course every couple of years and we wear a floatation device.

Harley Sailor said:
There's a big difference between "cannot swim very well" and not being able to swim at all.  I couldn't make it to the side of a pool from four feet out.

It doesn't matter, if you make it through the course you will be able to do the task at hand.

Back