• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary reserve to supplemental reserve

Chad.wiseman

Reaction score
I’m considering in the future to move to the supplemental reserve from primary reserve to take advantage of the vet education program. Curious if anyone has done so and moved back to primary reserve after? If so how hard is it to move between supplemental reserve and primary reserve ?

I have not done this, but several of my folks have. It's not very complex. You put in for your release, and indicate that you would like transfer to the supp res. When you're ready to come back, you get recruited in the normal manner. Just know that there may be qualification and seniority implications if you spend too much time on the outside.

It confounds me that those taking advantage of the Veterans Education Benefit are still ineligible for Class A service. It's as if the government is purposefully trying to prevent members with 6 years, or more, of military experience from being gainfully employed by the primary reserve... or from these members benefitting from reserve employment while attending school.

And there's a retention crisis, they say? I wonder where this "missing middle" is?

... perhaps it's time to write to our MPs.

Back