• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRes to CIC for Medical Reasons

Scarth306

Reaction score
I have been tested and likely will get an official diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes in the near future. I have been reading on here that this will likely be the end of my career. I understand that if I am diagnosed, I would not be able to be deployed or go to the field. I get the military would not want to take that risk. What I want to know is if anyone knows if I could still be a CIC officer after the diagnosis? I have worked with the cadet program before and quite enjoyed my time with them. Would this even be a possibility for me? I am trying to see what options I will have left if this diagnosis goes through.

The three links below lay out the regulations around Cadet Organizations Administration and Training Service (COATS) (No longer CIC) enrolment.
There is still a requirement to meet, but it is much lower. As I'm not a Dr., nor do I play one on the Internet :sneaky:, You best bet is to read the info throughrougly, and talk to your recruiters about a possible change to COATS. That will likely trigger a new/additional medical review based on your new "trade" selection.

Another option you can consider if you really want to serve your community, is civilian instructor with Cadets, your local search and rescue organization, the RCMP Auxiliary Program for example. https://rcmp.ca/en/careers/auxiliary-program

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Haven't done this in awhile, however I seem to recall that CIC/COATS really needed a pulse, respiratory effort, able to see if kids got into trouble and hear them if they yelled...whether they could reach them if something happened of course is a different story, given the shapes, sizes and fitness levels I've seen in CIC/COATS over the years. But I've been out 7 years now...

Back