• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Potential to advance with limited years of service left

casing

Inactive
Reaction score
The thread about rising from Private to General got me wondering something.   pbi mentioned something about potential being linked to the number of years you have left to serve.

pbi said:
... behind the 8-ball in "Years Left To Serve" which can be a deciding factor since it is related to Potential.

Now, considering that when I commence my CF career next month I will only be able to serve 26 years until I reach age 60.   Will this directly limit my opportunities as far as being promoted beyond Captain?   I realize that this is subjective and is also based upon personal performance and available openings.   Being realistic and assuming some average and some above average PERS, would reaching, say, LCOL prior to having to retire be a realistic goal?   Or would I need to be a superstar to even get to Major?

I'm just curious on the possibilities really.   If I spend 23 years as a Captain, I'm sure I could live with it.   But then again, maybe not as I am somewhat ambitious and not the complacent type.   I am more interested in being a good officer and doing a good job than in gaining rank, but advanced rank also brings advanced responsibilities so it isn't something I shy away from.

Well, you said it yourself. It really depends on opening and performance and your ambitions. It somewhat depends on your MOC too. MOC's that are really short of personnel will obviously have to promote their junior officers faster than an MOC with the full complement of officers.

Although I should point out, rank isn't everything. If you asked me if I wanetd to be OC of a Company at the rank of Captain, or run a policy desk at some RHQ at the rank of Major... I would be taking that OC post.

Your career is really up to you. If you are really serious about gaining rank quickly, and doing the training, and getting the experience... It can be done. Just because you're a certain age (especially if you're under 40) won't really affect you.

Back