• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pot-smoking Mountie can't smoke in uniform, RCMP says

Container said:
41. A member shall not publicly criticize, ridicule, petition or complain about the administration, operation, objectives or policies of the Force, unless authorized by law.

I doubt any employer would tolerate that.

I know mine wouldn't.

mariomike said:
I doubt any employer would tolerate that.

I know mine wouldn't.

Wonder what the legal opinion is on that, from a Charter Rights perspective. 

I've got a few friends who are RCMP who I've reached out to, so I'll wait to see what they have to say. 

Capt Obvious already told me that you don't have to be in uniform to be on duty, but thanks. 

Lets keep things civil and on track.

Eye In The Sky said:
Wonder what the legal opinion is on that, from a Charter Rights perspective. 

I don't know, but it reminds me of something I saw on a bulletin board a long time ago.

Get out, or Get in Line

If you work for a man, in heaven's name work for him. If he pays you wages which supply you bread and butter, work for him; speak well of him; stand by him, and stand by the institution he represents. If put to a pinch, an ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness. If you must vilify, condemn, and eternally disparage, resign your position, and when you are outside, damn to your heart's content, but as long as you are part of the institution do not condemn it. If you do that, you are loosening the tendrils that are holding you to the institution, and at the first high wind that comes along, you will be uprooted and blown away, and will probably never know the reason why.
Elbert Hubbard

I understood it to mean if they can't get you for that, they'll eventually find something else. Or, not give you a break when you really need one.

I just can't get over the image of a Police officer on drugs (any sort) making a drug related arrest.  The optics, as well as the legal implications, of this is just wrong.  Very hypocritical, don't you think?

George Wallace said:
I just can't get over the image of a Police officer on drugs (any sort) making a drug related arrest.  The optics, as well as the legal implications, of this is just wrong.  Very hypocritical, don't you think?

I would bet a box of donut holes as soon as they get prescriptions for certain drugs, they go on what are comparable to our MELs/or being 'grounded' in the aircrew world. 

I was blank-faced when I read .51 and .52 in the Regs.  I was baffled that they would be able to use something like weed at all.  But our laws are going that way, have to some extent I guess. 

I've been talking some with a buddy of mine who is RCMP and as he said earlier today "the times, they are a-changing".  Doesn't mean it is for the better though.

George Wallace said:

We do a disclosure for misconduct on every single court package we do for exactly reasons like that. Now, someone medically prescribed pot wouldn't be something disclosed (not illegal or wrong after all), however you can bet that would come up. In such an instance it oughtn't greatly affect the case. Moot, anyway- he's not employed operationally.

This man has not been denied employment based on discrimination against his medical limitation. His employment was simply limited in scope commensurate with the impact of his condition on his ability to do what can be a very difficult job where one must be clear headed. He then went on med leave. It's not like they've fired the guy because he smokes prescribed pot. Section 1 of the Charter quite clearly applies here in defense against any conceivable Charter claim he may have.

George Wallace said:

Okay. Nobody on drugs is making arrests- they are on light or admin duties. Nobody plans a raid on Oxys.

Edit- nevermind

Container said:
Okay. Nobody on drugs is making arrests- they are on light or admin duties. Nobody plans a raid on Oxys.

Edit- nevermind

Didn't say they did.  Just the optics of this bazar case.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I've been on a few raids that point to this.

Now I ve seen search plans where my initial question was whether or not the planner was on drugs.....I suppose now I will be even more suspicious  ;D

Pot-smoking Mountie Ron Francis charged with assault

A New Brunswick Mountie who made national headlines last month for publicly smoking medical marijuana while in uniform has been charged with assaulting a police officer.

Cpl. Ron Francis was arrested in Fredericton on Friday after police used a stun gun on him. He remains in custody after appearing in provincial court on Saturday, CBC News has confirmed.

The 21-year veteran of the RCMP has been ordered to undergo a 30-day psychiatric assessment at the Restigouche Hospital Center in Campbellton to determine if he can be held responsible for the charge against him.

He is scheduled to return to court on Jan. 6.

More at link

PMedMoe said:
Pot-smoking Mountie Ron Francis charged with assault

A New Brunswick Mountie who made national headlines last month for publicly smoking medical marijuana while in uniform has been charged with assaulting a police officer.

Cpl. Ron Francis was arrested in Fredericton on Friday after police used a stun gun on him. He remains in custody after appearing in provincial court on Saturday, CBC News has confirmed.

The 21-year veteran of the RCMP has been ordered to undergo a 30-day psychiatric assessment at the Restigouche Hospital Center in Campbellton to determine if he can be held responsible for the charge against him.

He is scheduled to return to court on Jan. 6.

More at link

:facepalm:

While this thread is 'in the spotlight again', I'll take a quick second to apologize for going off into the peckerbrush the night I read the policy I posted earlier;  and thanks to "those who know" for not piling it on.

I am about as anti-drug as they come and I think the core issue is weed as a *medicine*, not if the RCMP reg's are 'tight enough'.  If weed can't be 'perscribed' then there's no issue.  But we've become so "mkay" as a society (not all good, not all bad ways, this is one of the bad ways IMO) I seem to be a minority these days.

So, if no one minds I'll haul my foot out of my mouth and walk away quietly.... :geek:

Doesn't it seem a little weird that weed is illegal (right?) but an RCMP officer can be prescribed it for medical reasons?  I realize the fact that he is an RCMP officer has nothing to do with it other than a bit of irony but it still seems increasingly weird to keep it illegal if we're prescribing it.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Doesn't it seem a little weird that weed is illegal (right?) but an RCMP officer can be prescribed it for medical reasons?  I realize the fact that he is an RCMP officer has nothing to do with it other than a bit of irony but it still seems increasingly weird to keep it illegal if we're prescribing it.

Weed is not illegal if it's prescribed and solely in the possession of the person it's prescribed to.

ObedientiaZelum said:

No, it's consistent with other prescribing legislation. It's illegal to purchase and/or sell other Rx drugs without authority too.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/09/03/21915881.html

QMI Agency
Sep 3, 2014
, Last Updated:  1:18 PM ET

A pot-smoking Mountie pleaded guilty Wednesday to assaulting police officers when they went to check up on him after he was ordered to turn in his RCMP uniform.
The Daily Gleaner in Fredericton tweeted Cpl. Ron Francis will be sentenced Nov. 3.
Francis made headlines last fall for smoking pot while in his ceremonial red uniform. He said he had been prescribed the drug to help deal with symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.

Francis was ordered to hand over his uniform after the RCMP said it wouldn't condone a Mountie smoking marijuana, even if it was for a medical condition, while in uniform.
On Oct. 11, 2013, Francis was arrested for assault after officers with the Fredericton Police visited him.
"We were certainly concerned for his well-being and wanted to speak with him when the incident occurred," Const. Jullie Rogers-Marsh said at the time.

Back