• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting Policy-Out of Canada (OUTCAN) [MERGED]

Thank you both. Pretty much what I thought, i.e. same policy for all OUTCAN postings. Nice to confirm though.

There is no entitlement to PLD when posted outside Canada, unless you go on IR and leave your dependents behind.  Instead, you will receive Foreign Service Premium and Salary Equalization Factor.  There is also Shelter Share/Allowance to help with the cost of accommodations (this is more complicated than I want to explain at the moment, but the gist of it is that you are not expected to pay more for accommodations than you would in Canada).  All of these things are tax free and usually quite lucrative.  The CF does not provide any benefits for purchasing homes outside Canada.  It's generally assumed that you will rent.  Depending on where you're going and the Status of Forces Agreement, you may be able to live in the other country's military quarters.  I lived in another country's married quarters and found it a very interesting experience.

Thanks Pusser, those were what I was referring to. I looked up the site index at Statcan which determines the max entitlement per location, so I know how complicated they are... Thank you for putting things into perspective. May I ask where you were in married quarters?

If I were a guessing man, I'd say that Pusser was probably in UK PMQs, and I have heard lots of nightmare stories about them.

Timbit - I'm on an Outcan in Europe right now, and can say that renting a home, as long as you can find one that meets your needs, is in no way a losing affair. The rent and utilities share are based on salary and family size regardless of location, and unless you are a very senior single officer, is much less than even a PMQ on most bases. For instance, my rent share is just under $700 Cdn per month. The actual cost of the home I'm renting is much, much more than that. And I don't have a palace or former castle like some guys on outcan, nor a all season inground pool with whirlpool attached like my buddy had in Panama City Florida when he was on outcan.

Yes, I was in a PMQ in the UK.  I think the biggest problem that folks have with British PMQs is that they expect things to be done the same way as in Canada.  The key is to adapt to the British way of thinking.  You don't necessarily have to agree with it and you will occasionally just shake your head and wonder why they seem so obtuse.  However, if you can take it in stride and remember that it's not permanant, you can get on with life and enjoy yourself.  Once we figured out the unwritten rules, we actually had a very good time and the horror stories I've heard of Canadian PMQs are far worse than any I experienced in the UK.  If I were to go back to the UK, I would happily go into a PMQ. 

captloadie said:
And I don't have a palace or former castle like some guys on outcan, nor a all season inground pool with whirlpool attached like my buddy had in Panama City Florida when he was on outcan.

Once again, the difference between a loadie and a pilot is vividly brought home  ;D

My daughter's family has an inground swimming pool and a tornado shelter!

Hello All,

Did a search and all I found were posts about Gen's and CFE.

Other than through EMA and the CM intranet site, is there anywhere else I can get a list of OutCan postings? I've heard there is some kind of "list" coming out in June timeframe?

Ninerdomestic and I have been doing some research (OutCan website is actually pretty good) but I'd like to hear more opinions. We are especially concerned about the schools as Little Wook has learning disabilities and we would have to ensure that sufficient resources are in place before I even apply for any positions.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wook

What trade are you Wook?

Your BPSO is the one that DAGs you green/red for dependant learning disabilities - they might be a good place to start.

I just started the screening process and agree with Zoomie's statement.  Part of the screening paperwork also deals with that, but I can check tomorrow.

Thanks for putting me on the right track. Talked to one of our BPSO's about the screening yesterday.

I'm Log  O now, there's a few positions coming open this year (or, I should say, there is supposed to be). 9D and I just want to make sure that the support we will need is there before I waste everyone's time (including our own) and DAG Red because of the education aspect.

Wook

Wook,
The Log Branch used to send us an e-mail message every year showing the Outcan postings coming open for the coming APS. I 'remember receiving one last year, but as I can't check my DWAN e-mail very often, I'm not sure the timeframe when it came out. Try contacting your base A1/G1 to find out when this year's message will come out.

As for the education question - check this link on the different locations to see what type of assistance is available.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dem-epcg/pd/pct-mmt/index-eng.asp

The down side is that unless you are looking at an English language country (or French I guess if your dependant can learn in that language), it will be difficult to find a school that provides the additional assistance required for children with learning disabilities. For instance, AFNORTH and Mons (the two main schools for GK and Casteau) don't offer this type of assistance.

Thanks for the link. I was looking at the DEMs site but did not go far enough into the weeds.

That's that for that then. Not going to put Lil Wook (and us) through years of frustration so I can get a notch on the resume.

Thanks for the links and info everyone.

Wook

There are some "outcan" positions in the USA; those might still be on the radar for you as it's more likely that you'd have access to the types of schools you require.

The following link on the DIN has all OutCan postings for all Log Offrs and dates when they are open:
http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgmc/engraph/APS_e.asp

dapaterson said:
There are some "outcan" positions in the USA;

LOL - some...  There are more OUTCAN positions in the USA than anywhere else.  Close to 700 CF personnel.

Dimsum said:
I just started the screening process and agree with Zoomie's statement. 

You are screening rather late Dim - did someone DAG Red?  Where are you trying to go?  I did all my screening for this APS back in Jan.

Does anyone know if there are OutCan posts for junior officers - I saw some senior officers/NCOs positions - lets say for a Signals Officer - Lt.

Cheers!

jpljpl said:
Does anyone know if there are OutCan posts for junior officers - I saw some senior officers/NCOs positions - lets say for a Signals Officer - Lt.

Cheers!

They would be pretty few and far between.  I can give you a more accurate answer tomorrow, but for example, CELE has only one Capt/Lt position OutCan - and that's in Maryland.  I wouldn't expect Signals (or any other officer occupation) to be much different.

jpljpl said:

Cheers!

Login to EMAA and check. Should be a listing of all possible postings for your trade, both within Canada and OutCan. It'll even give you dates and names of who you'd be replacing.

Back