• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Police shoot, kill armed man outside Scarborough elementary school

Small town SWAT, probably part time, probably a mix of officers who work patrol and who work special units and gear up and go when a call comes.

They have a Facebook page.

Apparently they opened the door with a key.

Attachments

• uvalde.jpg
    uvalde.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 10
4) With how tight lipped they are being with it so far it likely isn’t a good look for police as if it was a good look they would likely be sharing a lot more info.
In Ontario, when the Special Investigation Unit invokes its mandate, it becomes their investigation. The control and dissemination of all information is at the sole discretion of the Director or designee. The actual wording of the relevant section of the Act is; "[The Director] shall preserve secrecy in respect of all information obtained by him or her in the course of exercising a power or performing a duty under this Act." A later section empowers the Director to issue public statements at their discretion, which they seldom seem to want to exercise.

I realize that the primary role of a school resource officer isn’t to protect the school from a mass shooting. But 🤯🤬😡
I haven't read whether the school in Texas had an SRO. In relation to the shooting near the Toronto school, resource officers have been eradicated from the landscape in Toronto and many other Ontario jurisdictions. Parent groups and school boards didn't like the concept, felt the uniforms were intimidating, police scared the children, or some such thing.

There is a lot of fail in this incident.

Right now talking to a few folks who where in situ, the BBC time lines are correct.

If you have seen the map and time line, you need to wonder WTF was going on.
At least 7 serious errors in the LE response. Admittedly ai stopped counting at that point and just shook my head.
Eventually BORTAC ignored the Incident Commander and entered with the janitors key and serviced the target.

1) Very few LE ERT/TAC/SRT/SWAT teams have an explosive entry program.
2) Most LE do have ballistic breaching capabilities with shotgun
3) I can’t think of any LE who don’t have mechanical breaching capability.
4) Most LEO now have a carbine and plate carrier and IFAK with them
5) Shields, some teams use them, personally I’m not a fan as they don’t do much for rifle rifle, I prefer to use speed and violence of action, as opposed to slow and marginal protection with a shield.

I’m just livid at the first responders and the incident commander.
The incident with the parents outside the school is just so fucking revolting, that I honestly can’t get into it at this point.

I haven't read whether the school in Texas had an SRO. In relation to the shooting near the Toronto school, resource officers have been eradicated from the landscape in Toronto and many other Ontario jurisdictions. Parent groups and school boards didn't like the concept, felt the uniforms were intimidating, police scared the children, or some such thing.
That is literally the dumbest thing I’ve heard all week…

(Absolutely no disrespect to you personally - my comment is directed at the parent groups and school boards.)

We had the police come by our school when I was in elementary, and later had an SRO that was there once a week.

They were great. Great with the kids, great with the parents, and I think we all grew up with a very pro-police mindset because of it.

What’s the point in raising your kids in such a way that they are intimidated by the very people we ask to protect them? How do they realistically thrive in a world where they are kept at a distance from the very instruments of our society?

I wish someone in those jurisdictions had the balls and brains to tell the parents ‘No. we raise your kids during daytime hours, Monday to Friday. They’ll grow up knowing right from wrong, not being scared of the police, and able to write legibly. The end.’

Just because they are parents doesn’t mean they aren’t well disguised batshit crazy and/or muppets.

<rant off>

That is literally the dumbest thing I’ve heard all week…

What’s the point in raising your kids in such a way that they are intimidated by the very people we ask to protect them? How do they realistically thrive in a world where they are kept at a distance from the very instruments of our society?

I wish someone in those jurisdictions had the balls and brains to tell the parents ‘No. we raise your kids during daytime hours, Monday to Friday. They’ll grow up knowing right from wrong, not being scared of the police, and able to write legibly.
There are still parents out there - and I`ve seen them in person - who tell their misbehaving children that "the police will come and take them away" if they don`t behave. I want kids to run towards the police, not away.

I want kids to run towards the police, not away.

Anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero.

My childhood memory of the police was when they marched us out the flag pole in front of our elementary school. A Metro officer lowered the Elmer flag - indicating a child had been struck. His chrome-yellow police car had a long whip aerial with a black flag.

"The Black Flags are Flying! This is not a tribute to the dead, but a warning to the living!!".

It was a very somber occassion.

( I like the counterman with the cigarette in the Rockwell art. :) )

Attachments

• rockwell.jpg
    rockwell.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 6
There are still parents out there - and I`ve seen them in person - who tell their misbehaving children that "the police will come and take them away" if they don`t behave. I want kids to run towards the police, not away.
That's me as a parent. However I gave up the last time I tried that threat on my daughter and she told me to pull out my cell phone and call the police.

Anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero.

My childhood memory of the police was when they marched us out the flag pole in front of our elementary school. A Metro officer lowered the Elmer flag - indicating a child had been struck. His chrome-yellow police car had a long whip aerial with a black flag.

"The Black Flags are Flying! This is not a tribute to the dead, but a warning to the living!!".

It was a very somber occassion.

( I like the counterman with the cigarette in the Rockwell art. :) )
Cool clip. I have no recollection of that. I suppose that means we had no incidents at our school; but I don't remember the radio announcements either. So dramatic! The serious voice over Fanfare for the Common Man.

I was taught as a child that Mr Policeman was my friend. My grandchildren have been taught to avoid them. Sad, but there we are.
Depends a lot on your upbringing and socio-economic class.

I was brought up in a culture where Omerta was something you followed. Snitches end up in ditches. Cops weren't to be trusted. If you had a problem, you dealt with it or talked to people in the community and it got resolved.

I shit you not, this was 1990s Toronto. I know other ethnic communities that have similar distrust of police based on police from the home country. And honestly, mass media and events throughout North America of police brutality have reinforced the 1312 belief in various communities.

Personally, I have taught my teens to treat cops the same way as you would a K9 Dog : Be polite, Yes Sir/No Sir, "Am I being detained, Sir?" But also....sadly...no sudden movements, keep your hands visible, and if they put hands on you, go limp. As we have seen with George Floyd, and countless other situations.... if things get tense, dog is going to bite.

I understand "Not all cops..." but I view it the same way as weapons safety: Treat every gun as its loaded because it's the time you're complacent that bad things happen.

Depends a lot on your upbringing and socio-economic class.

I was brought up in a culture where Omerta was something you followed. Snitches end up in ditches. Cops weren't to be trusted. If you had a problem, you dealt with it or talked to people in the community and it got resolved.

I shit you not, this was 1990s Toronto. I know other ethnic communities that have similar distrust of police based on police from the home country. And honestly, mass media and events throughout North America of police brutality have reinforced the 1312 belief in various communities.

Personally, I have taught my teens to treat cops the same way as you would a K9 Dog : Be polite, Yes Sir/No Sir, "Am I being detained, Sir?" But also....sadly...no sudden movements, keep your hands visible, and if they put hands on you, go limp. As we have seen with George Floyd, and countless other situations.... if things get tense, dog is going to bite.

I understand "Not all cops..." but I view it the same way as weapons safety: Treat every gun as its loaded because it's the time you're complacent that bad things happen.
I generally treat the police the same way. I have had several poor interactions with them (in Canada and abroad)- so I default to polite with clear hands. So no one is nervous. I don’t think much about this though- if they are honest and calm and I am honest and calm we have no issues.

I generally treat the police the same way. I have had several poor interactions with them (in Canada and abroad)- so I default to polite with clear hands. So no one is nervous. I don’t think much about this though- if they are honest and calm and I am honest and calm we have no issues.
Two rules of thumb when dealing with police officers, Border Services Officer, Game Wardens etc. are:

- be polite as you are following in the footsteps of the last asshole they dealt with; and

- never deliberately piss off someone who can ruin your day.

Back