• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Playful dog defuses shooting spree plans

stukirkpatrick

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/24/canada/toronto_arsenal040624

Playful dog defuses shooting spree plans
Last Updated Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:33:16
TORONTO - A man from New Brunswick who called off a shooting spree after a chance encounter with a friendly dog appeared in court in Toronto on Thursday to face several weapons charges.

The man, who turned himself in to police on Wednesday afternoon, said he'd loaded his car with guns and ammunition in New Brunswick before setting out with plans of randomly shooting people in Toronto.

Some of the weapons seized by police
On arriving in east-end Toronto, the man reportedly went into a nearby park to load his weapons.

There, he told police, a playful dog approached him. That encounter apparently changed his mind.

He got back in his car and began looking for police. At about 5 p.m., he spotted a cruiser and turned himself in to the surprised officer.

Police said the man was carrying a loaded semi-automatic handgun when he approached the officer.

A search of the suspect's car turned up two rifles with scopes, a shotgun, a revolver, an air rifle, a machete, a hunting knife, a throwing knife, a camouflage mask and netting, and 6,296 rounds of ammunition.

The man reportedly told police that he planned the killing spree in order to get himself imprisoned for life.

James Stanson, 43, was charged Thursday with eight weapons-related offences, including carrying a concealed weapon, possession of ammunition for a dangerous purpose, careless storage of a firearm and unauthorized presence of a firearm in a motor vehicle.

Stanson was ordered to undergo further psychiatric evaluation before he returns to court on July 14. At that time the court will decide if he is fit to stand trial.

Written by CBC News Online staff

This was actually in my neighbourhood (The Beach), which is famous for its doggie culture.  A little too close to home...

I hope it was an off leash park or someone is going to get a ticket.

I heard about that on the radio.
Nearly peed myself, both because I was scared and it was funny.
Seeing as it was in Toronto - it hit a little too close to home.
But because this man stopped his threatened killing spree over a doggie - that's hilarious.

No doubt he has obvious mental problems.
Glad he was taken off the streets.

Lex

Back