• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilots followed procedure in Snowbirds crash

Scoobie Newbie

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Pilots followed procedure in Snowbirds crash
CTV.ca News Staff

An interim report from the probe into last December's deadly Snowbirds aircraft collision says the continuing investigation will focus on training and "human factors aspects."

The report suggests both pilots seemed to follow procedure in the milliseconds leading to the Dec. 10 mid-air collision.

Capt. Miles Selby, 31, of Tsawwassen, B.C., was killed instantly in the crash, 64 kilometres south of Moose Jaw, Sask.

Capt. Chuck Mallett, 35, of Delta, B.C., was thrown from his Tutor jet, the single-page report confirmed Thursday.

The two jets collided about 1,100 metres above ground level while travelling between 670 and 740 kilometres an hour during the practice of a complex manoeuvre called a co-loop.

"As the two aircraft neared the top of the loop, it became evident that there was potential for a collision," the report says.

"Accordingly, one aircraft maintained a predicted flight path (as briefed prior to the mission) so that the other pilot could manoeuvre his aircraft to make the miss.

"When it was evident that a collision was imminent, one pilot initiated an evasive manoeuvre to the inside of the loop, his briefed safe exit direction."

The report says the collision caused a fireball that engulfed the two jets.

Selby was killed instantly and Mallett was ejected from the aircraft without initiating the release himself.

"He realized he was outside of the aircraft and pulled the D-ring on his parachute but then realized he was still in the seat," the report said.

"He manually released his lap belt and pulled the D-ring again.

"Shortly thereafter his parachute blossomed. About five seconds later he landed on the ground having sustained minor injuries from travelling through the fireball."

Mallett called for help on his cellphone within minutes after the accident. He was treated for smoke inhalation.

Selby, a two-year veteran of the Snowbirds, was the sixth Snowbird pilot to die in the group's 35-year history.

The last pilot to die in a crash was Capt. Michael VandenBos, 29. His accident involved two planes colliding near Moose Jaw. It happened six years to the day of Selby's crash.

There have been five Snowbirds accidents in the past 10 years.

After mourning the loss of their fellow pilot, the Snowbirds resumed their training on Jan. 10, their website says.

With files from Canadian Press

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1107437681936_30?hub=topstories

Surviving Snowbird pilot describes his crash
CTV.ca News Staff

The survivor of December's mid-air crash between two Snowbirds told his miraculous story Thursday.

An interim report from the probe into the Dec. 10 deadly collision between two aerobatic Snowbirds aircraft says the continuing investigation will focus on training and "human factors aspects."

The report, released Thursday, suggests both pilots seemed to follow procedure in the milliseconds leading to the Dec. 10 mid-air collision.

Capt. Miles Selby, 31, of Tsawwassen, B.C., was killed instantly in the crash, 64 kilometres south of Moose Jaw, Sask.

Capt. Chuck Mallett, 35, of Delta, B.C., was thrown from his Tutor jet, the single-page report confirmed Thursday.

"It's just an endless series of amazing coincidences of luck that allowed me to survive," said Mallett.

The two jets collided about 1,100 metres above ground level while travelling between 670 and 740 kilometres an hour during the practice of a complex manoeuvre called a co-loop.

"As the two aircraft neared the top of the loop, it became evident that there was potential for a collision," the report says.

"Accordingly, one aircraft maintained a predicted flight path (as briefed prior to the mission) so that the other pilot could manoeuvre his aircraft to make the miss.

"When it was evident that a collision was imminent, one pilot initiated an evasive manoeuvre to the inside of the loop, his briefed safe exit direction."

"That's probably what saved (Mallett's) life -- it got him just enough out of the way of the impact to avoid a head-on," said Capt. Jim Hutcheson, who's part of the accident investigation team.

As for whether Selby tried to avoid the crash, Hutcheson says "That's still under investigation."

The report says the collision caused a fireball that engulfed the two jets.

Selby was killed instantly and Mallett was ejected from the aircraft without initiating the release himself.

"He realized he was outside of the aircraft and pulled the D-ring on his parachute but then realized he was still in the seat," the report said.

In Mallett's words: "I was spinning fast, end over end and the horizons were going by very fast, so I had no idea how high I was or how much time I had."

He manually released his lap belt and pulled the D-ring again.

"I was able to get the seat away from me. . .and I saw I now indeed did have a parachute that was opening."

He landed about five seconds later, sustaining minor injuries "from travelling through the fireball," said the report.

Mallett called for help on his cellphone within minutes after the accident. He was treated for smoke inhalation.

"It's a bit of a miracle he survived. He certainly beat the odds in surviving a crash in the way he did," said Hutcheson.

Selby, a two-year veteran of the Snowbirds, was the sixth Snowbird pilot to die in the group's 35-year history.

The last pilot to die in a crash was Capt. Michael VandenBos, 29. His accident involved two planes colliding near Moose Jaw. It happened six years to the day of Selby's crash.

There have been five Snowbirds accidents in the past 10 years.

After mourning the loss of their fellow pilot, the Snowbirds resumed their training on Jan. 10, their website says.

With files from CTV's Roger Smith and the Canadian Press

is it normal for pilots to bring thier cell phones with them when they fly? 

I take mine with me, but that's just because it's in my flight suit and I don't think to take it out before going flying.

Actually, read in another article that he called on his radio from his seat pack and then used a phone offered to him by a local to call base ops.

Wonder if he bought a lottery ticket after.  He's a lucky man.

I remember when they came down here to the pitt meadows airshow and one had to land on it's belly at the airport because of problems with the landing gear.  Goodshow, and Rip

Back