• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PHYSICISTS PROVE TIME TRAVEL IS ‘MATHEMATICALLY POSSIBLE’

shawn5o

Inactive
Reaction score
I have doubts about this but imagine the possibilities

PHYSICISTS PROVE TIME TRAVEL IS ‘MATHEMATICALLY POSSIBLE’
Australian scientists say they have ‘squared the numbers’ of the grandfather paradox

Anthony Cuthbertson@ADCuthbertson
4 days ago
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/time-travel-possible-grandfather-paradox-free-will-b713939.html

Scientists in Australia claim to have proved that time travel is theoretically possible after solving a logical paradox.

Physicists from the University of Queensland used mathematical modelling to reconcile Einstein’s theory of general relativity with classical dynamics. The clash between these two systems is behind a famous flaw with time travel, known as the grandfather paradox.

Einstein’s theory allows for the possibility of a person using a time loop to travel back in time in order to kill their grandfather. However, classical dynamics dictates that the sequence of events following the grandfather’s death would culminate in the time traveller not existing in the first place.

“As physicists, we want to understand the universe’s most basic, underlying laws and for years I’ve puzzled on how the science of dynamics can square with Einstein’s predictions,” said Germain Tobar, who led the research. “Is time travel mathematically possible?”

For their calculations, Mr Tobar and Dr Costa used the coronavirus pandemic as a model for working out whether the two theories could co-exist.

They imagined a time traveller attempting to go back and prevent patient zero from being infected with Covid-19.

Einstein’s theory allows for the possibility of time travel but the science of dynamics would mean that the fundamental sequence of events could not be interfered with.

This is because if the time traveller succeeded in preventing the virus from spreading, then it would eliminate their initial motivation for them to travel back in time.

“In the coronavirus patient zero example, you might try and stop patient zero from becoming infected, but in doing so you would catch the virus and become patient zero, or someone else would,” Mr Tobar said.

"No matter what you did, the salient events would just recalibrate around you. This would mean that - no matter your actions - the pandemic would occur, giving your younger self the motivation to go back and stop it. Try as you might to create a paradox, the events will always adjust themselves to avoid any inconsistency.

“The range of mathematical processes we discovered show that time travel with free will is logically possible in our universe without any paradox.”

University of Queensland physicist Dr Fabio Costa, who supervised the research, added: “The maths checks out - and the results are the stuff of science fiction."

A paper detailing the research was published in the journal Classical and Quantum Gravity

Some have theorized that UFO/UAP are actually humans/descendants of humans from the distant future conducting "time travel tourism".

Time travel is 100% possible.  I do it every day.

Mind you, I only go in one direction...

dapaterson said:

I’ve seen some badly dated and re-dated memos in a piss poor attempt at time manipulation.

dapaterson said:

Best way to get through a crappy exercise or deployment... couple hours in the time machine during the day.

Anyone who doesn’t believe in time travel has never been to Oromocto.

Target Up said:
Anyone who doesn’t believe in time travel has never been to Oromocto.

That isn’t time travel.  That’s reality alteration, multiverse sort of stuff.  Time just moves sideways.  On an angle.  Up hill.

Dimsum said:
Or Greenwood NS.

There’s a rumour floating around on my local BBS that a new internet provider might be coming to town, and they’ll offer 56k dial up.

28.8k blew me away!

56k? Bring on Napster!

Dolphin_Hunter said:
There’s a rumour floating around on my local BBS that a new internet provider might be coming to town, and they’ll offer 56k dial up.

Gonna play some L.O.R.D or Operation: Overkill on that bad boy?

Jarnhamar said:
Gonna play some L.O.R.D or Operation: Overkill on that bad boy?

I still have a 300 baud modem that plugged into a joystick port on my Atari 800xl...

Weirldy, I stumbled across reference to a time travel game system when reading comments on the article in a different forum. Of course, to learn to play "Continuum", you actually need time travel, since the company which published the game went out of business in the late 1990's or early 2000's (strangely, the date for that isn't really clear....).

Given the interest in Time Travel (see movies like "Back the the Future" or the "Terminator" franchise, or the multitude of books starting with H.G. Wells), I can see another wave of low budget time travel movies inspired by this article.

What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.sciencenatures.com/2020/10/researchers-at-large-hadron-collider.html

Researchers At Large Hadron Collider Are Confident To Make Contact With Parallel Universe In Days

the astoundingly complex LHC “atom smasher” at the CERN center in Geneva, Switzerland, are fired up to its maximum energy levels ever in an endeavor to identify - or perhaps generate - tiny black holes.

If successful a very new universe is going to be exposed – modifying completely not only the physics books but the philosophy books too.

It is even probable that gravity from our own universe may “transfer” into this parallel universe, researchers at the LHC say. The experiment is assured to accentuate alarmist critics of the LHC, many of whom initially warned the high energy particle collider would start the top of our universe with the making a part of its own. But up to now Geneva stays intact and securely outside the event horizon.

snip

“We predict that gravity can leak into extra dimensions, and if it does, then miniature black holes are produced at the LHC. Normally, when people consider the multiverse, they think about the many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics, where every possibility is actualized. This can not be tested so it's a philosophy and not science. this is often not what we mean by parallel universes. What we mean is real universes in extra dimensions. “As gravity can effuse of our universe into the additional dimensions, such a model may be tested by the detection of mini black holes at the LHC.”

“We have calculated the energy at which we expect to detect these mini black holes in ‘gravity's rainbow’ [a new scientific theory].”

“If we do detect mini black holes at this energy, then we are going to know that both gravity's rainbow and additional dimensions are correct."

Who had "Earth being consumed by artificial black holes" on their 2020 Bingo card?

Thucydides said:
What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.sciencenatures.com/2020/10/researchers-at-large-hadron-collider.html

Researchers At Large Hadron Collider Are Confident To Make Contact With Parallel Universe In Days

Who had "Earth being consumed by artificial black holes" on their 2020 Bingo card?

Below a certain threshold, blackholes just evaporate through Hawking Radiation...or so the theory goes.

I've always found that the show LOST had the best exclamation for the grandfather problem, and it fly's directly in the face of the way Back to the Future sees things. You can go back in time, but you can't change anything, because it already happened. So anything you go back and do already happened before you time traveled, because time is constant.  You could go back and try and kill Hitler before he comes to power, but you will fail, because if you had killed Hitler, before he came to power, he never would have come to power.

Clearly you have not watched enough Simpsons episodes and are in need of re-Nedification.

Back