• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

dapaterson said:
There is talk of adding inccentives to the FORCE program, both individual and group.

I just started an incentive program within my platoon. We will test every 3 months, if you get 4/5 you get a week of PT on your own time, if you get 5/5 you get a day off (a short from the CO) and a week of PT on your own time. If you can maintain that standard, it ends up as 4 days off a year. The troops seem to be interested.

The standard is
5km run < 23m
Minimum 7 Chin-ups

1 RM max, measured by doing 5 reps
(so for 200 lbs you need to do 5 reps of 185 lbs, 300 lbs is 5 reps of 267, and 400 lbs is 5 reps of 355)
Bench press - 1x Bodyweight
Squat - 1.5x Bodyweight
Deadlift - 2x Bodyweight

It also had the added benefit of getting troops interested in doing compound lifts. We're trying to do a technique lass with the PSP every couple of weeks as most people aren't familiar with the lifts (which is a real shame considering we're an infantry platoon).

Thanks for the feedback! Just so Im clear; am I correct in understanding that there are no incentives to give it your best? Just a pass or fail? Even if it was scored it would give me something to compete against next year.

Urocyon Cinereoargenteus said:
Thanks for the feedback! Just so Im clear; am I correct in understanding that there are no incentives to give it your best? Just a pass or fail? Even if it was scored it would give me something to compete against next year.

Right now, there is no points to the test, just pass/fail. Your results/times are still recorded though, and a point/level system may be developed, it has been talked about for awhile at least. Something like an extra point on your PER if you score high, etc. I don't think there will be an exempt the following year like the Express test had - even with that,  you could score exempt and still be required to do it the next year, or on a course, etc.

cryco said:
We competed to see how fast we could do some of the events, but you can take your sweet time except for the first one, you have 51 seconds to do so. No one was slower than 43 seconds.

There is no standardized "first one". The test can start on any of the events(except sandbag drag), but it will always follow a certain order.

ballz said:
I just started an incentive program within my platoon. We will test every 3 months, if you get 4/5 you get a week of PT on your own time, if you get 5/5 you get a day off (a short from the CO) and a week of PT on your own time. If you can maintain that standard, it ends up as 4 days off a year. The troops seem to be interested.

The standard is
5km run < 23m
Minimum 7 Chin-ups

1 RM max, measured by doing 5 reps
(so for 200 lbs you need to do 5 reps of 185 lbs, 300 lbs is 5 reps of 267, and 400 lbs is 5 reps of 355)
Bench press - 1x Bodyweight
Squat - 1.5x Bodyweight
Deadlift - 2x Bodyweight

It also had the added benefit of getting troops interested in doing compound lifts. We're trying to do a technique lass with the PSP every couple of weeks as most people aren't familiar with the lifts (which is a real shame considering we're an infantry platoon).

hell, I'm not in and I'm motivated by that! That looks great! The only thing that would make me cringe is the 23m 5k run. And a 460lb 1 rep max deadlift is a little disconcerting.

The FORCE test went well; the hardest thing to contend with was the slipper floor and overstepping/sliding on the marker lines. Id agree with the comment that times are generous and even the moderately fit can pass.
Thanks for everyones input.

I'm scheming up a test where we complete the load bearing march, then do the FORCE Fit immediately afterwards, wearing body armour and helmets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should only take a maximum of 3 hours I'm thinking.

Together, that sounds like a good infantry/combat arms test. What do you think?

daftandbarmy said:
I'm scheming up a test where we complete the load bearing march, then do the FORCE Fit immediately afterwards, wearing body armour and helmets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should only take a maximum of 3 hours I'm thinking.

Together, that sounds like a good infantry/combat arms test. What do you think?

Not bad at all. Instead of the LBM I'd go with 60 lbs, 8km, at a pretty quick clip (one because its better PT and two so it doesn't take all day). Followed by the FORCE in full kit is a good add-on and good way to get something out of the FORCE.

Hey Ballz, I took a closer look at your incentive targets and realized, I'd have to do 5 deadlift reps at 400lbs and 300lb for the squat. That's pretty intense. Is this something your men and women frequently achieve? I like to think I'm pretty strong but squatting 3 plates and deadlifting 4 is something I've only done at my prime, when I used to hit the gym 5 days a week.

cryco said:
Hey Ballz, I took a closer look at your incentive targets and realized, I'd have to do 5 deadlift reps at 400lbs and 300lb for the squat. That's pretty intense. Is this something your men and women frequently achieve? I like to think I'm pretty strong but squatting 3 plates and deadlifting 4 is something I've only done at my prime, when I used to hit the gym 5 days a week.

Assuming you are 230 lbs from your previous post.... You'd have to bench for 205 for 5 reps, squat 305 for 5 reps, deadlift 410 for 5 reps. 7 Chin-ups, and a 5km run < 23min.

We haven't done any testing for it yet, the first test is scheduled for March 26th (this has been ongoing since Jan 5, first day back to work in the New Year), so no one has done it yet. Doing a straw pole, there was no one in the platoon that felt they could do it when we first started, but a few could do 4 out 5.

It is not unachievable. Even the PSP staff, who expressed some concerns with having guys do this, said the goals of 1, 1.5, and 2x bodyweight were pretty reasonable. When you start putting those numbers up, you at the begging of "intermediate" powerlifting. Same with the run, a sub-23 5km run is by no means unachievable for any human being. The combination of all 5 means you are someone who takes your training seriously and probably have been for a while.

Remember, this is a fitness incentive for my platoon meant to reward those who are very fit, the CO is personally giving a day off work for attaining this standard, it is not meant to be easy. I don't expect more than 2 people to attain 5/5 this March 26th, and I sure won't. But, the test will ran every 3 months, so if one can only achieve 4/5 this time around, he can probably get to 5/5 next time around (end of June). It definitely is a S.M.A.R.T. goal, depending on your current fitness level it may not be achievable in 3 months but for most in my platoon, if they put the effort in, I would bet they can achieve it in 6 - 9 months.

Personally the biggest problem I am having with it is trying to maintain my running while putting up the weights... I find when you start lifting heavy and doing 5 reps, etc, your legs start to seize up faster than usual when you run. Those focussing on running and trying to maintain their ability to put up the weight are having an easier time with it from what I can tell.

Ok, makes sense; you are rewarding that with a paid day off and one week of PT on your own time. It is challenging though. I could never come close to that time for the 5k when lifting weights in that range. I'm in the midst of a 5x5 lift program now to break some new highs, but my running is suffering (weighing 230 doesn't help my running)
Either way, I can appreciate the goals you set for them. Good stuff.

ballz said:
Not bad at all. Instead of the LBM I'd go with 60 lbs, 8km, at a pretty quick clip (one because its better PT and two so it doesn't take all day). Followed by the FORCE in full kit is a good add-on and good way to get something out of the FORCE.

I like the idea of chopping it to 8kms. We could easily do this in the course of a single parade night then.

RJG said:
Within the past month I have been jogging outside to get back in shape. I used to be able to run ten kilometers with no problem, but recently I noticed that after one kilometer my chest is killing me. I am extremely fit when it comes to weightlifting, so when I am done jogging my legs and arms are not hurting at all.
your chest soreness could just be a problem with frequency, I know that for me taking just three days off regular exercise makes my chest hurt as well.

After eleven years, RJG has likely found the cause of his problem and had it cured, or died from it.

We await your responses to posts from 2003 with unimaginable eagerness.

Please define "joning". I am unfamiliar with the term.

Loachman said:
...Please define "joning". I am unfamiliar with the term.

I think he/she meant to say "jonesing."

Urban Distionary does indeed offer some explanation.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Joning

Joning: "Making fun of a person to the point where they laugh uncontollably (or either feel like crying) <--- usually this one.
Usually just sayin' ridiculous shit that comes off the top of your head. The truest jones are the funniest ones.
The worst is group joning. Its halarious (sic - Urban Dictionary contributors should use real dictionaries to check their spelling) when you're high."

Hi everybody,

Im currently finishing up my 2nd year of university, and I  have my eye set on joining the forces; most likely going in as an NCM as I feel that I'd much rather become 'one of the boys' and at least at this point from the outside looking in, try and take some more advanced courses to fulfill my service to Canada.
I'm playing varsity level rugby for my university here in BC in the Premier division (for any of you rugby guys out there you know the ferocity of this league), and Ive always been an extremely  fit person. I can run 2.4 km (1.5 miles) in 9:35, 8 km in 37 minutes, do around 50 pushups before my arms start to quake (thats elbows lateral, not army pushups mind you), and a number of other numbers that probably really don't matter.
Assuming I can retain these levels of anaerobic capacity and get accepted into BMQ, will this level of fitness be diminished in any way? I don't want to sound like someone sitting on a high horse but I know how important it is to be extremely fit going into BMQ for infantry trade, so if possible I'd like to retain these levels once going to infantry school (assuming I make it through BMQ with no injuries). Any tips or tricks, questions or sheer slap-in-the-face answers are greatly appreciated!

Cheers  :salute:

Ahhh thanks,
I've pretty much got the nutrition and physical aspects on point due to my regular training with my sport team, but greatly appreciated!

Hey guys,

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this... I thought of making a thread on the "Recruits Only" but I figured making a thread somewhere else, where people with over 250 posts can reply to, would help me out better.

Anyways. I'll get to the point. I'd like to show my workout routine, as well as my studying stuff just to get some advice to see if I'm doing something wrong or if I could do something different, maybe better. I have recently changed it up, so some of these are relatively new to me, so I'm not exactly very good at them just yet. Allow me, then!

My daily routine consists of:
After wake up and before sleep. Hand grips.
Morning - Power Yoga. From 430am.
Afternoon - Chopping Wood 30min, then Skipping Rope 30min. From 4-5pm.
Evening - Weights/Bodyweight Exercises. From 9-10pm.

Allow me to explain these in detail!

Hand Grips. 55 Handgrips each side, each hand. After waking up, and before bed. Increasing by 5 every week until 75 or 100. (We'll see when we get there.)
1st – Both hands top
2nd – Both hands bot
3rd – Right Hand top then bot
4th – Left Hand top then bot
I've found a picture of what I use: https://www.google.ca/search?q=Hand+Grips&biw=1920&bih=955&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIovue8e-TxgIVgjGICh1ZEwP4#imgrc=88Nw-B6akUMN4M%253A%3ByX5_SdiuScImWM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.reflexpainmanagement.com%252Fimages%252Fcategories%252FFoam%252520Hand%252520grips.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.reflexpainmanagement.com%252Fexercise-and-strengthening-aids-c-66.html%3B650%3B650
Apologies for the massive link, but just in case people were wondering. Also, if you don't know what I mean by "top" and "bot". I just mean I flip it upside down (bot). I have no clue if it has any difference, but why not?

Morning. Power Yoga. Pretty self-explanatory. I usually do it for over an hour. Nothing else I can say, to be honest. It definitely sucks to do it but afterwards, I'm not even slightly sore, I love it.

Afternoon. This is something new that I added to my routine. It definitely helped me out a lot, in terms of grip and whatnot. Skipping Rope, I'm fairly new to it as well. I cannot yet do 30mins in ONE go, but whenever I mess up, I just restart and keep going until the 30 minutes is up.

Evening.
Monday/Wednesday/Friday - Weights at the gym. Adding 5lbs per week until I can't no more. My routine below:
Squats - 5x5
Bench Press - 5x5
Overhead Press - 5x5
Barbell Row - 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Now, you may notice I use the 5x5, and it seems some people say, "You shouldn't do all of those in the same day!" or "You shouldn't do that many deadlifts after!". Truthfully, it works for me, and I have been doing these for months. No sign of overtraining or anything bad.

Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday - Bodyweight exercises. It is quite simple but I've added some variety there. This is also a newly, improved routine. My routine below:
10 Reg Push Ups, 2nd Inverted, 3rd Diamond, 4th Inverted, 5th Explosive
10 Jumping Jacks
10 Burpees
10 Reg Squats, 2nd Lateral Lunges, 3rd Reg Squat, 4th Lateral Lunges, 5th Reg Squat
10 Crunches, 2nd Circles, 3rd Single Leg Lift, 4th Single Leg Circles, 5th Pulsators
30sec Reg Plank, 2nd Star Plank, 3rd Reg Plank, 4th Star Plank, 5th Reg Plank

That's one set. Complete 5 sets in total. Increasing by 1 rep each/5 sec every week until I see fit to stop.

Now you may notice I do not have any actual RUNNING. That's when advice would go well. I realize we'll be doing lots of running, but I can't help to notice I'm doing quite a hell of a lot of cardio which is not just stationary cardio, but rather moving the entire body, much like running. Also, I do not have any Pull Ups. That would be because I do not have a machine, nor is there a park around here with anything for me to hang on, and I'm just making up excuses. I hate pull ups. I will fix it. I will add them to my program.

Keep in mind, I've been doing these for some time now, and I am in no way exhausted by the end of the day. I mean, yes, I'm sore as should be expected, but I could keep going. I don't believe I am overtraining as there hasn't been any signs. Please let me know if this workout routine is good enough, and what should/could be changed, if necessary. I am also eating healthy every day, not to worry!

Now in terms of Studying...

I've applied to the military before, back in 2013, but I failed because I wasn't taking anything serious in my life. Nothing at all. I was told I failed by one point, which really sucks but I'm glad that it happened. Some time after that, I finally started to... "try again". So at the moment, I do the following:

I'm using study sheets that contains advanced english words with their meanings and uses in a sentence. (about 25 pages, I believe).
I'm also using study sheets for Math that I had printed from before, which contains a multiplication table, fractions and etc. Gotta remember the basics. Division is actually very difficult for me as it was extremely different in Brazil, so I'm trying to... learn to do it in my head, because it's actually quite confusing when writing it down.
I've been using websites like Math.com and Khanacademy.org for Math. I'd like to try and get 100% completion on all of the topics in KhanAcademy.org so that I can print that out and show it to them as I have to provide "proof" that I've been actually studying and whatnot in order to -TRY- and get a 2nd chance. (Which, by the way, they REALLY need to update their main website about that and other things)
I've been reading self-help books for some general knowledge of anything and everything (Why not?) as well as GED books to keep it fresh.

I'm hoping to reapply in maybe... I don't know, 2-3 months from doing all of this, without missing anything and whatnot, since I have modified it. By the way, forgot to mention. Infantry NCM is my chosen profession.

Please let me know what you think, any advice/tips would be great.

Thanks!

Al101 said:
I wasn't exactly sure where to put this...

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )
http://army.ca/forums/threads/23364.400

Al101 said:
Now in terms of Studying...

I've applied to the military before, back in 2013, but I failed because I wasn't taking anything serious in my life. Nothing at all. I was told I failed by one point, which really sucks but I'm glad that it happened.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) FAQ 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0

Al101 said:
I'm also using study sheets for Math that I had printed from before, which contains a multiplication table, fractions and etc. Gotta remember the basics.

?MATH?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/109763/post-1214925.html#msg1214925
Reply #8

Al101 said:
By the way, forgot to mention. Infantry NCM is my chosen profession.

CFAT infantry score 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/110464/post-1227847.html#msg1227847

Mariomike,

Thanks for your reply. I have already picked this entire website clean, I was looking for more of a personal opinion on how I'm going about things.

Thanks, either way.

Back