• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

You really need to work on your cardio, doing 10 sprints a week isn't going to get you ready.

Look around these forums and online, lots of good information about what to expect physically during training, and work out programs/ideas, etc.

Interval training is a good way to improve your cardio (hence the sprint /walk) but you should do some running. Get your joints used to running for 20/30/40 minutes.
On your leg day, I would ditch the leg press. You're not training to be a linebacker, you need functional strength. Do some deadlifts  or cleans instead.
And from my understanding (after doing tons of reading), make sure you aim for 12 reps, and do some supersets or during your minute rest, do some other unrelated exercise, like pushups, air squats, crunches etc...

I would recommend lots of running and good shoes prior to basic. Talking like 5km runs.

Yeah I'll probably do more running in the morning or at night then.
Today I tried to do 2.4 KM(1.42 miles)  under 11:56 minutes and I was able to do it under 11 mins or so on the treadmill. I took like a 2 or 3 minute break by just lowering the speed down to a almost a walking speed and increased back to running(9.5), but I was able to do it.
A couple of months back it woulda taken me 15 mins just to get to 1.5 miles I guess my cardio day still helped me lol.

Don't trust the treadmill to be an accurate gauge of time to cover a distance.  Find a track, with a known distance (most outdoor ones are a 400m oval).

You need to start running more, running is a big part of the PT on BMQ and will be a factor in your follow on training.

Get off the treadmill and go outside. Running on a treadmill is a good way to get your cardio up but at this point you need to acclimate your body to the type of running you will be doing in BMQ. Running on pavement is different than running on a treadmill, start getting used to it now. Additionally, you need get used to running in the cold, you will want to be ready to run outside when you get to St Jean.

Welp so I guess this settles it.

I'll use the gym 3 days a week now(push/pull/legs) and allocate the other 2 to running outside in my neighbourhood, and another day will be during my RIC Training since I think that they make us run outside as well? This would give me 3 running days per week.

I just hope I just don't lose too much weight since it's extremely hard for me to keep it due to my fast metabolism. I'm about 6'1 and I fluctuate from 180 to 186.

Increase your caloric intake to make up for the added PT, you'll maintain your weight fine.

Bmq isn't the running nightmare these guys make it out to be. Most moderately fit individuals do fine in BMQ untrained,  your fitness will likely have you at the top. Definitely throw in a 5km once in a while, but your HIIT training is going to benefit you more. If you enjoy your current strength training, don't feel as though continuing it is going to hinder you.

So i was finally able to start it today.
I did 2.65km in 14:27.  :facepalm:
It was really my first time running outside in the snow and plus the ice  :eek:.
I definitely need to step it up and do it 3 times per week for sure.
The cold annoyed me even more than my breath tho I definitely need better gloves.
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I find it takes me 2 weeks until my body has adjusted to cold winter running. Really pay attention to your footing. I can't say how many I took a nice spill, when I was not paying attention.

I'm not mentioning them because of some kind of endorsement, but at the store/retailer I frequent ('Running Room') they helped me gear up for running comfortably in the cold.  If you haven't been there I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with their service everytime I've been in.  The stuff isn't free, but it's usually all good quality products. 

As a bonus - serving military members with ID get a 10% discount. 

Most of the stores have a free 'run club' Wednesday's around 6pm and Sunday's around 8am - no pressure, no performance expectations - just show up and have fun.  It's a nice change from running on your own.  They have different paced groups usually (everything from slow pokes to marathoners so there is a speed for anyone).  Wednesday's are normally shorter faster runs & or hills.
Sunday's are normally longer slower. 

Worth visiting to those who haven't been to the place. 

Good luck to all with your fitness goals. 

Troubleman24 said:
I did 2.65km in 14:27.  :facepalm:
It was really my first time running outside in the snow and plus the ice  :eek:.

Treadmills and cardio machines are fine for improving your cardio level but they are poor predictors of actual running performance.  The only way to get better at running is to run, and run properly. 

- Mix sprints/intervals into your running
- Keep doing long runs because these will help with your physical conditioning, getting your feet and muscles used to pounding the pavement
- Stretch your calves to fend off shin splints

If you're lifting weights regularly (assuming appropriate weights and correct technique), then your strength level is probably fine for BMQ.  You will do a bunch of push-ups when you get yelled at by your staff, you'll carry a bit of gear for your ruck marches, and you will probably have to carry jerry cans/stretchers/etc. as part of your small party tasks.  Also, the PSP tend to lead creative PTs sessions which require some strength.  Most of your PT will probably be running. 

So, to answer your question, yes, you should absolutely change your routine.  You should be doing more cardio.

One last question for the BMQ when you are timed when it comes to the running test do they expect you to run in the sludgy snow? cuz I did like 2.65 km in 14:56 mins at 5:38 min/km at 1 or zero degree weather while last sunday I was able to do it in 13:06 min at 4:58 min/km and it between -10 or -12 degrees and I got a lil fever afterwards and felt like crap.

My longest was caused cuz I couldn't really run as fast as I wanted cuz last thing I needed is to take a bad fall and break something before my BMQ whereas my fastest time happened cuz the streets were kinda clear had ice but it was really manageable.

Troubleman24 said:
One last question for the BMQ when you are timed when it comes to the running test do they expect you to run in the sludgy snow? Because cuz I did like 2.65 km in 14:56 mins at 5:38 min/km at 1 or zero degree weather while last sunday I was able to do it in 13:06 min at 4:58 min/km and it between -10 or -12 degrees and I got a little lil fever afterwards and felt like crap.

My longest was caused because cuz I couldn't really run as fast as I wanted because cuz last thing I needed is to take a bad fall and break something before my BMQ whereas my fastest time happened because cuz the streets were kind of kinda clear had ice but it was really manageable.

Please attempt to use English properly.  According to the guidelines: "You will not use excessive webspeak, or other shorthand styles of typing. Please use English or French to the best of your ability; this makes it easier for those who are not posting in their native language."

And I'm pretty sure you didn't get a fever because you ran in cold temperatures.....  ::)

I'm half way through BMQ, so here are my pointers. I'm just going to be general. Work on building up your endurance because you will need it. One thing some of our staff likes to do is (if someone fucks up) is have us all hold the push up position or plank or dead cockroach. Doesn't sound too hard, but when you're holding it for an extended period of time because someone can't straighten their back/legs. A few times after PT, if people were running late our staff made us hold our PT kit bags over our heads. Sounds simple but when you're holding it for a few mins, it's brutal.

here's a list of what in our PT bag:

short PT clothes
long PT clothes
running shoes
combats (pants, t-shirt, tunic, boots)
shower kit (towel, flip flops, shampoo, soap, deoderant)
socks & underwear

Sarah_H said:
I'm half way through BMQ, so here are my pointers. I'm just going to be general. Work on building up your endurance because you will need it. One thing some of our staff likes to do is (if someone ****s up) is have us all hold the push up position or plank or dead cockroach. Doesn't sound too hard, but when you're holding it for an extended period of time because someone can't straighten their back/legs. A few times after PT, if people were running late our staff made us hold our PT kit bags over our heads. Sounds simple but when you're holding it for a few mins, it's brutal.

here's a list of what in our PT bag:

short PT clothes
long PT clothes
running shoes
combats (pants, t-shirt, tunic, boots)
shower kit (towel, flip flops, shampoo, soap, deoderant)
socks & underwear
Yeah got all that ready.
Started recently.
One thing I know for sure.
IS that.... leg day. I'M NOT doing it for a longgggggggggggg time :)
I mean when I do leg day i feel it for the next 2-3 days and well my mobility is really really bad lol,but with BMQ on the weekends I'd would have to do it on a monday and I have to go to my unit on tuesdays, and well PT will surely happen there and I won't be able to perform like I would like too. I'ma lay off my legs and just keep on working in my push and pull day and well I guess do my legs during the BMQ with their PT.

Anyone done the FORCE test lately?
I understand scheduling difficulties; but Im wondering why its a 4 hour appointment for a relatively quick series of tests? Also Why they don't recommend eating for two+ hours prior to 'the test' as (based on my appointment) that would leave people without eating anything till mid afternoon.
And no coffee?? Really? I drink coffee before my 10k runs regularly... Or is that just to keep people from failing their blood pressure test?

Did it very recently. It's less than four hours, but there were less than 10 people taking the test.
Depending on where it's held (how small the gym is), you may only be able to do the tests only 2 or 3 at a time - as was our case.
The instructor takes the time to explain everything.
Also gives you some time to warm up.
You take your blood pressure before you do the tests, so they don't want it elevated to make sure it's a good reading, hence the no coffee.
My test was scheduled for 14:00, and we were gone by 16:00.
And if you're in anything considered decent shape, it's a joke. really. We competed to see how fast we could do some of the events, but you can take your sweet time except for the first one, you have 51 seconds to do so. No one was slower than 43 seconds.

There is talk of adding inccentives to the FORCE program, both individual and group.

What do you mean by incentives? Reward better scores?

Back