• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

physical fitness in amour

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu

Inactive
Reaction score
I was curious about what kind of physical fitness training  armoured soldiers do once they are posted to their unit? Is there set physical training, or does everyone just get a lot of exercise from doing their job and then train on their own? What sort of training do you guys normaly do for physical training while posted to a unit and do you have access to gyms?
Thank you for your replies. :)

Each unit and squadron can be a little different.  One weekly routine might look like this (my last year at the Regt followed this):

a.  Mon 0730 to 0815 hrs - Troop 5 km run (time includes warmup, cool down and some pushups etc)

b.  Tues 0730 to 0830 - Troop circuit training (work through stations to include pushups, burpees, windsprints etc)

c.  Wed 0730 to 0900 - Squadron 8 km run (including pushups etc)

d.  Thurs 1300 to 1500 - Regt Sports afternoon (ball hockey, soccer, hockey et al)

e.  Friday 0730 to 0830 - Tp Rucksack march

The winter months might see some swimming thrown in as well as some workup periods run by the civilian PSP staff.

You will have access to a very good gym and pool, but when you are in a Sqn most of your gym time for weight training etc will be on your own time.  If you are good at a sport you might find yourself on a team (hockey, soccer etc) and you will have practices during PT time.

Cheers,

2B

What 2B posted looks very much like what I have done in the majority of the Sqn's I have been in (when we don't cancel PT for the Panic Du Jour  :mad: )

I'm not sure what the RCD or 12e RBC have in terms of "in house" (in unit lines) exercise equipment, but the last time I visited the Regt (Mtn Man in Sep) (the Regt being the LdSH in Edmonton) they had a very nice weight room set up in the HQ Sqn/Transport lines. Must have been some end year money to be spent, or a donation from one of our wealthy benefactor's. The Armour School has been building 2 good sized PT rooms (one in hangar lines, the other in J7), so one doesn't have to trudge all the way to the gym, maximizing PT time, and minimizing on waiting around for eqpt and travel time.

Al

Just took a lot at your profile, Xfire, to see what your "interest" would be in. I would guess that you mean as a student, so I can't really answer that definitively, as I am not in Depot. I have seen the soldier's going through DP1 out and about, running around the base, doing circuit training, combat PT, etc. Just to warn you, contrary to popular belief, most of the instructors there are quite fit, if not extremely fit, so don't expect a cakewalk.

Bzzlteyr is an instructor in Depot, so if you want an example of what a typical week's PT schedule is like, either wait for him to post, or PM him.

Al

Why yes I am.. A typical PT schedule on the last couple of courses involved PT first thing in the morning (05:30) and would sometimes be for only a half hour (run) or up to an hour (webbing march, circuit training).  I enjoyed being the first instructor to meet the students for PT as I would take them for a nice leisurely jog down to the cadet camp to run some "lines" on the cadet parade square.  That is, paired up two to a team, one behind the other and one guy runs to the first line while his buddy does as many pushups as possible, then switch and gradually add lines and situps, burpees, jumpingjacks, etc... 

Another favourite of mine is relay races just outside the shacks.. split up by crew I have the kids line up and then present them with five or so pieces of kit.  The first person runs to the first piece of kit and puts it on.  He then runs back to his crew and switches it up with the next guy who runs and gets another piece.. etc.  (this works great with helmet, webbing, rucksack, valise, coveralls, and 20L Jerrycan full of water).  I find it builds excellent team work and thinking as it can be done in several ways, some more efficient than others.

Worry not, you will get enough PT on your DP1 to keep you alive and in the summer we also get to play on the obstacle course.  Once you become a big boy at the unit then PT is provided but remember, if you feel you need to do more, do it for yourself after hours.

Bzz

(physical fitness in amour corp),This is a joke statement right?I know that some Strats could not jog 800m without starting to fall out all over the place.The most important thing in the LdSH is to be first in line for 2nds at the haybox meal and to clean the Canteen out of smokes and Chocolate bars within 15 minutes of opening time. Believe me I'm a witness to this everyday and it still makes me want to laugh with disgust. I want my Babyback BabybackBabyback RRRRIIIIBBBBBBBSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TowTripod

Wow, good to see quality postings like yours Tow.. you even took the time to show how intelligent it was by continuing to misspell the word ARMOUR even though there is a spell check right beside the "post" button!!  This kind of reply gives lots of valuable information and I am sure it helped everyone.. thanks for dropping by!!

Bzzliteyr said:
...continuing to misspell the word ARMOUR even though there is a spell check....

Maybe he meant lovers, in which case, his use of "amour" is correct. The spelling of "corp," however, is wrong; a body of troops is a "corps."

Nonethless, two points come to mind.
1) While debating the facts or logic presented is fair game, you're setting yourself up to be a VERY busy person if you're going to critique spelling/grammar on this site (or most blog-type sites). It's probably more important to understand what the person was saying.

2) As with so many people here, you've chosen to dismiss the poster, rather than address his post. The original query involved fitness within the armour corps. Tow Tripod offered up the observation, granted, not particularly eloquently, that perhaps there are several chunky monkeys within the Strats. Having been on tour with them, I agree. Mind you, I've seen both fit & fat within the infantry, armour....and clerks, wrench-turners, Privates and Generals. It may have been more useful to steer both Tow Tripod and malibu towards the numerous threads on fitness being a matter of personal pride and responsibility.

I certainly don't want to turn this into any sort of pissing contest.....it's just that the 'flame-content' sometimes gets higher than the passage of info utility, and I got to this thread during my first coffee. Take it for what it's worth.

Anyway, getting back to the original post, what about reserves during the year when you are not taking a course (due to school or something like that)?

polo said:
Anyway, getting back to the original post, what about reserves during the year when you are not taking a course (due to school or something like that)?

Class A Reservists do PT on their own time during the year, some units do PT during their parade night, but don't rely on that to stay in shape.

polo,

It has been eight years since I was in a reserve unit.  At the time, we had very infrequent PT on "Class A" time.  With one evening a week (three to four hours max) for training, PT usually got trumped by other training requirements.  It was up to the individual soldier to do PT on his own, which made since since he can't do weapons training on his own.  We did try to have PT periods for a while one years (one hour of running/circuit training/web march), but it still pretty much blew away the evening for other training and it was not continued.  Even when we were getting ready for the "Warrior" run, we used our Thursday nights to focus on weapons training instead.  All that being said, things may have changed!

All,

In my last year at the Regiment (regular force) we had monthly fitness evaluations (the US Army Personal Fitness Test) so that people could track their progress.  With the entire Regt being reconnaissance there has been an renewed emphasis on PT across the board.

Tow Tripod said:
(physical fitness in amour corp),This is a joke statement right?I know that some Strats could not jog 800m without starting to fall out all over the place.The most important thing in the LdSH is to be first in line for 2nds at the haybox meal and to clean the Canteen out of smokes and Chocolate bars within 15 minutes of opening time. Believe me I'm a witness to this everyday and it still makes me want to laugh with disgust. I want my Babyback BabybackBabyback RRRRIIIIBBBBBBBSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TowTripod

I think it is rather easy to dismiss a poster such as this, as I believe the term is "troll". He makes broad, general statements about a few (OK, more than a few) members of the LdSH(RC) which I am part of, so yes I take offence. I personally feel ashamed that there are people in the Regt that don't take the same level of pride in their fitness/appearance as I do, or many others that wear the Strat hatbadge do (I am presently employed at the School in Gagetown).

However, there IS a saying about throwing stones when one resides in a glass house. I distinctly remember driving past the 1PPCLI lines at the end of the day, and there were more than a few "land monsters" wearing the hat badge that I believe tow tripod wears (in his black beret...... how does that make you feel? Miss the green beanie yet??) trudging their way across the street. And I deployed twice to Bosnia with 2PPCLI, and it wasn't exactly Chippendale's models all around for that particular unit. From what I have seen of 3VP, they are in better shape (overall), but being non-mech will probably do that to a fella.

'Tow tripod' no doubt has a few insecurity issues that he needs to resolve, as he feels he must paint all Armour pers with the same lard-covered brush. Armour guy steal your girlfirend? Find a Strat sticker on the headboard? Get beaten in Mountain Man by a crewman?

Al

Journeyman said:
Maybe he meant lovers, in which case, his use of "amour" is correct.

I giggle every time this thread gets bumped, cause Dean Martin just has that effect on me.

"When the moon hit your eye like a big pizza pie..."

Yes this is true that I do not have a masters in the English language however I can say that I can walk, jog or even run 800m. If I came across to strong I do not apologize to anybody because for the next little while I'm just an outsider looking in the ARMOURED world. I do believe in calling a spade a spade and if Allen you are upset just go hug a donout to get into your comfort zone!!! Schoollie Trooper

P.S The Black Beret as not been a issue to me personally.To be honest the Unit has treated me very well!!!
Thanks

Tow Tripod

You can all cut the crap and name calling. It adds nothing to the thread. Don't like each other? Tough. Take it to PM's. The original question was about what kind of physical training is done in the Corps, then the School. Stick to that. This is the only warning.

Tow Tripod,

A word of advice, don't come into a thread trash talking and worse, slagging guys (guys that you probably don't even know)  This was turning into an informative board for young guys that are curious to know what Armoured PT consisted of.  You're new to this site, so I'll explain something to you - Slaggers and bad-mouthers comments don't carry much weight and they get you placed on the warning system FAST.  There's been times when I've said comments that weren't well received and nobody came at me in a hostile manner, but pointed out what I said wrong and advised me to change this or change that. (Except maybe KevinB, but I deserved that  ;))  Point is, many of the posters here are of rank and have knowledge and wisdom you and I don't and they pass it on in a helpful manner. 

Take it for what its worth...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back