• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Thread- Merged

csura2

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,
   My fiance and I have recently put in our request for our very first posting (exciting), and we decided Petawawa was the way to go.  We are both newly commissioned officers; he's a combat engineer and myself I'm an EME.  I have two questions about Pet.  I know that certain bases have reputations for being more relaxed or up-tempo or whichever it may be, in the case of Petawawa what is the working atmosphere like on base?  I have heard through the grape-vine that Petawawa is more regimented than say, Gagetown, but I guess that also depends on the unit perhaps?  Also, any treasures to be found in the Petawawa area?  Good restaurants, interesting landmarks, historical monuments or museums?  We're both fairly "outdoorsy" people, we love camping and snowboarding, hiking and swimming.  As far as I know it's an awesome area for hiking and camping.

Much appreciated.

Petawawa is great for the 'Outdoors Type'.  Algonquin park and all its' splendor is right on the edge of the Base.  The Ottawa River provides great boating in the summer.  There is Black Bear Beach and Camp ground right on Base.  A Yacht Club.  A Golf Course.  Ottawa is only 1.5 hr away.  Good Skiing in the winter, both cross country and alpine.  Hunting, Fishing, snowmobiling.....

The Bde is more 'Regimented' than Gagetown and the OP Tempo is fairly high. 

At the sounds of it you will both enjoy it there.

Cheap housing in Deep River and Chalk River to the West and Pembroke to the East.  People even commute from Renfrew and Arnprior.  Petawawa is a very nice Town to live in, with lots of amenities, but with the new Regt moving in Real Estate will probably sky rocket.

Well Petawawa is what u make of it  been in Pet 89-93 and now since 96 and love it. Alot to door for the outdoors minded camping fishing boating camping hiking u name it. Yes Algonquin Park close by. Work wise also its what u make of it just new to the military but spent alot of time here as a spouse Great base to raise a family my kids 16 and 14 and into alot of sports and other activities. So all the advice i can give ya is its what u make of it
:cdn:

My family and I were posted to Pet from '85 to '89.  Although that was a while ago, I can't believe it's changed that much.

We had a grand time there - although I was away much of the time, my young family loved it.  All the attraction of the great outdoors, and all the amenities of a small town.  When I was home, I recall taking my little sons (all grown now) fishing every night after supper.  It was only a five minute walk to the river.

I'm not sure I'd want to raise teenagers there - but I may be wrong, all my experience in Pet was with pre-school kids - we loved it.

As others have pointed out, the operational pace is somewhat breathtaking, but that holds true in any Army formation.

Good luck to you.

The Ottawa valley is basically the mecca of whitewater kayaking in Canada... Petawawa is 40 minutes away from some of the best whitewater paddling in the world, and within 2 hours of more awesome whitewater than you'd believe! The Ottawa area has tonnes of outdoor activities, adventure racing, ice climbing, skiing - as mentioned, camping in Algonquin, lots of backcountry on the Quebec side...

Working in Petawawa is alright too! I was there from '98 to '04 and had a blast! My wife thinks we should get a cottage there so I don't have to live in the shacks when (not if) I go back on IR!  ;)

Hi EMEgirl,

I am the PSP Manager in Petawawa and have been here for twenty years.  If you like the outdoors, you will love Petawawa as everything for the outdoors type person is at your doorstep.  As for facilities, we have the best in Canada with great gyms, double rinks, pool, field house, golf, marina, campground and much more.  As far as housing, recommend you buy a nice little house in the Town of Petawawa.  The market is going up every year and this would be a great investment for you.

As for the local area, there is lots to do with new restaurants opening each year.  The local communities are very nice and there are lots of events to participate in .  Shopping is improving with big box stores opening in Pembroke with Home Depot opening shortly and a COSTCO in the next six months.  

As for the operational tempo, Petawawa goes flat out.  You will be very busy with deployments and training.  Petawawa has always been very regimental...but hey, that's why you joined the army.  

You can get more information about Petawawa from the PSP website at www.psppetawawa.com
You can email me at home at bigbee@webhart.net or on the DIN at Gagnon.ew@forces.gc.ca

Petawawa is great!!

Ed Gagnon
PSP Manager
CFB Petawawa :cdn:

I think all the posting above have hit all the highlights.

Ed and his PSP crew, and the MFRC crew keep everyone busy as best they can as well.

It is my experience that Petawawa area is absolutely fantastic family area to live. If you have elementry school children there is almost too many activites, too many sports and too many clubs for them to participate in. If you or your family is into something, chances are its already here. If it isn't talk to one of Ed's crew and they will help you set up a group with your intrests.

Saying that, if you are a young single male, not overly athletic or outdoorsy...Petawawa may not be too exciting for you.

Armymedic,
I don't know about that,......this aging sex god sure had many good years there..... :warstory:

Bruce,

And it has only just gotten much better over the last ten years!!

Ed

Me or Pet?. :rofl:..............alright I'll stop now. :-[

so i've been reading all the posts about pet, and how much the pmq's suck there...and considering me and my commonlaw pte. are supposed to be moving there this summer i am somewhat concerned...

BUT...

someone in his platoon told him recently that alot of the apt's were redone and are brand spankin new (in better shape than the houses) ...can anyone confirm this or should we just save ourselves the trouble and find a civvy place?

jesses_girl said:
someone in his platoon told him recently that alot of the apt's were redone and are brand spankin new (in better shape than the houses) ...can anyone confirm this or should we just save ourselves the trouble and find a civvy place?
you can slap all kinds of paint on a building, but if the structure is 50 years old, and crumbling, it's still a dump.

They are unsafe, unhealthy, and fiscally unsound. Do yourself a big favour, and buy a house. It's an investment that will pay off, unlike living in buildings that were condemned some years ago and paying rent on them.

para...I wasn't aware that any pmq's had been condemned. Any idea who condemned them, and when?? If they were condemned, then I'm sure there is paperwork to support that? Should they be condemned? From what I've seen, and lived in, yes, IMHO, then they should condemn the whole 1700 units.

I have been talking with some personnel that are posted to Pet, and have applied for a pmq...and apparently, there is already a waiting list. Which is hard to believe, given that a drive around the south side looking into a bunch of windows...there are tons of empty units...on the scale of about 15-20% I would say.

But what with the influx of personnel coming in this year...maybe they are all full?

I would recommend buying a house. The market has increased steadily over the past 5 years, at the rate of about 10% per year.

If you are posted to Petawawa, and are looking to buy, or if you're already in Petawawa, and are looking to buy, PM me or email me, I'll refer you to the best real estate team in Pet.

xrme said:
para...I wasn't aware that any pmq's had been condemned. Any idea who condemned them, and when?? If they were condemned, then I'm sure there is paperwork to support that?
RUMINT from various contractors working for Housing, and 'confirmed' by the lady who did our march-out, but I have no hard dates or names. Shouldn't be that difficult to confirm or deny, I would think, if anyone wanted to put forth the effort.

I would think that the hundreds of folk, knowingly living in condemned housing, would then have very little...no, wait...NOTHING to complain about!....who in their right mind goes into condemned housing, willing to pay upwards of $600 a month, and then complain about the building or the cost. Heck, if CFHA is already getting away with renting condemned housing to members of the CF, what makes one think they are going to listen to, or even seriously address any complaints?

Back to the actual topic of pmq's in pet...I was speaking with a contractor, who was unaware of any condemnations (he didn't actually deny the possibility of their existence), but did mention, that there were 400 vacant units of the 1700 at CFB Petawawa! And a waiting list???? Ouch!

I think if anyone bothered to look into it they would realize that on every base there is vacant PMQ's.  This is due to the fact that maintenance has to be carried out and it is easier to do on a vacant Q rather than an occupied one.
From living in PMQ's most of my life I cannot complain about them, at least as a renter you do not pay foe repairs as homeowners do.

I think before all these so called experts give their opinion they find out why the PMQ's are vacant and I highly doubt that anybody is living in a condemned house

Urban Myth?

I'm being posted to Pet (3 RCR) At the beginning of July, Being new i was wondering if you can rent PMQ's with a buddy right away or do you have to live in the shacks first?

riggermade said:
Urban Myth?
could very well be. Of course, when I was told the story, we still had asbestos and lead paint in them. We found out when they came around to remove it. As I understood it at the time, it was those items that made them unsafe for human habitation. Never did much at the time for the mold problems, though. Hopefully, that was addressed, as well.

Anywho, I still say the young couple are much better off buying a house. Why rent, when you can make an investment? I wish I had listened (or had been able to get the Better Half to listen) to my NCOs who recommended it a decade ago. I'd be much further ahead.

Well ppl here is my 2 cents think i could shed alot of light on the topic since i have been living in Q`s in Petawawa since 1996 and i have no complaints my rent is only 413.00/month and my Q is far from being a piece of crap or unliveable...new windows thru the entired Q, new kitchen floor and a remodled bathroom since we have been here not to mention new carpet on my stairs leading upstairs...No paint peeling off the walls and very nice...Each Q is different i guess but a few personal touches and some extra paint and wallpaper and its home...Yes a house would be nice but purchasing all the toys first...boat new truck u name it...But also saving money living in Q`s for purchasing our house in the future...And i look out my window right now and on my little street there is about 15 empty Q`s...so cant understand reason behind a waiting list. As i drive home from work down Ypres or Paardeburg or Moreilwood there are numerous Q`s getting gutted and redone, New windows New siding and even adding on additions to the Master Bedrooms all new improvements to many Q`s on base...So unless u have actually lived in one or have seen them least here on the North Side dont call my Q a shit pit....yes no island in the kitchen no hot tub in the basement but a decent place to raise kids and live life.....Some Q`s might need to be condemmed if you ever had been in one that has had a march out when dirty ppl lived there seen a few trust me. But living in Q`s is what u make of it no matter what Base u live in...We have no rats, no bugs no mold no lead paints we have happy memories and fun times......

Back