• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Personal Question regarding pistols (looking for input)

Colin P said:
Yep you use them soft metal wartime 1911's I bet.

I have one of those 1943 "soft metal" guns -- runs a whole lot better than a lot of the newer stuff.

Steve_Rogers said:
Get the CZ-75! You'll do fine with it, soldier!

Do you own one or are you basing your comments on your FPS experience?

Steve_Rogers said:
Get the CZ-75! You'll do fine with it, soldier!

One of the quickest ways to get bounced out of here is to babble about things of which you know absolutely nothing.

And stop addressing everybody as "soldier". This is not a low-budget bad Hollywood war movie.

Jonh Browning's designs, which include the BHP and the 1911A1, are good choices - the CZ 75 though not single action, is a grandchild of the Browning designs and some features are shared. 9mm ammo is for the most part less expensive than .45 acp.  I am, however, partial to the Beretta 92F and the Glock designs.  I like the model 22 in .40 S&W - it is easy to shoot, reliable and reasonably priced.  Someone already mentioned the Sig Sauer 226 and that is an excellent pistol, if a bit more expesnive than some of the others.

One point to consider is - what do you want to use it for?  Are you looking for a double action (pulling the trigger moves the hammer back and releases it), or a single action (the hammer is cocked back already and pressing the trigger merely drops the hammer).  Some pistols S & W model 39/59 series are double for the first shot and single after that, some are double action only (the Glocks) and others are single action such as the BHP (GP 35) and the 1911A1. 

My suggestion is to check out a local club, try a few different types and see what you like.  Most pistol shooters are happy to let you try their firearms. 

Cheers,

I own both Glock 17 and an an M&P in .40.  I love them both but I actually find myself enjoying the M&P more.  All it needs is Trijicon night sights like my Glock and I'd like it more.  I have a steady supply of cheap .40 so I use the M&P a lot more.

There's good deals to be had on both right now - Mil/LE pricing on Glocks is $637.00 plus tax and shipping for a 17 or 22 with Trijicons and two mags.  M&Ps are available for around $600 plus tax and shipping without night sights, but there's a $50USD rebate + two free mags available on an offer that Smith & Wesson keeps extending.  With interchangeable palm swells, I haven't heard of someone who doesn't like the feel of the M&P - unless they hate Tupperware guns in general.

Don't forget to pick up a Ruger MkIII or Buckmark or some other .22LR pistol to practice more with cheaply.  It costs a tenth of what either of those calibres cost to shoot.

You know, if you're interested in a Glock, I have a G17, with the Trijicons, five mags, and a holster, which I'm considering selling.  It's damned near brand new so I won't take too much less than the original sales price, but if you are interested, PM me.  (/plug)

Patrick: Have you looked at the Sig Sauer P220? It's one of the best made semi auto pistols around. They're making them now with a variety of trigger packages. This is a very versatile pistol and even my son enjoyed shooting it. I carried one on duty for quite a few years and found it to be as reliable as they come.

keep chargin', Mark

Redleaf: I intend to use the pistol for the usual target shooting, but I am also interested in eventually getting into IDPA or IPSC after having been bitten by the CFSAC bug last year. I could also excuse it away as a home defence weapon, but I honestly doubt i'd ever have to use it that way in my lifetime - although it would be comforting to have.

I like SA pistols, but that's probably because I've spent so much time with the BHP. I know there are merits and detractions to each type of action (SA, SA/DA, DAO, Safe Action), and also to the different safety features out there (manual safety vs decocker as an example). Although i'd have to try each one out to be sure, I like the idea of the CZ's SA/DA action and manual safety, since it's similar enough to the BHP. I don't think i'd spring for a DAO pistol since i do like the lighter SA trigger pull.

Red6: I have not fired the SigP220. I think i saw a brochure with a picture of the trigger mech, but I didn't follow up by reading more about it. Although I do like both the look and the feel of the Sig, I don't really like the placement of the slide lock. I like a beefier Browning or USP style lever since it's easier for my fairly large hands to use.

If you're looking at Glocks and IPSC/IDPA, depending on what class you want to be in a compensated model might not be what you want.  It sounds like you'll need to spend some time in a good gun shop trying out different pistols until you find what you want.  I loved Glocks - and they are great pistols, but I love my M&P more because I found with the small size palm swell it's perfect.  There's some things I don't like (like the magazine disconnect safety) but it's still a good piece of kit.

Redeye: I agree, I don't like the magazine safety on the M&P either. It's one of the things I don't like about the Browning as well. I'll be sure to try out both versions of Glocks before I render my decision. I've read good things about CZ pistols at IDPA and IPSC matches, so I think the pistol has good value for different applications. I'm moving to Vancouver shortly so I'll be sure to hit up some of the local vendors and ranges to try some different pistols.

FYI -- you can get the M&P's w/o the mag safety

and you can ditch the BHP mag safety.

I own a BHP and used to have a Sig226.  Though I have a lifetime supply of 9mm brass and reload in 9mm, I truly love the Sig 220 in 45.  I can't take a Sig 228 home from the US so my favourite Sig 9mm is now denied by my ever caring federal government.  I bought the BHP because I was hot to compete at CFSAC, naturally, I spent the next seven years competing in service rifle.  My biggest regret is not spending a little more and owning a Sig fleet.  I really liked the Glock 19 and to a lesser extent the 17 but, I recently put a few hundred rounds through a M&P and I am shocked to admit this Smith does it for me over the Glocks.  So much of it comes down to the way the grip fits your hand that you really need to try them yourself.  I love the Sig 228 and 220 because of the way my hand fits around them.  I fully admit that the Glock family, outside the 20 are great but, the Sigs are a better fit for me.  (I feel a little hard done by the fact that my palm has expensive tastes).  Don't worry too much about paying a few hundred bucks more for the right pistol.  You'll end up spending many hundreds on ammo anyway, even if the CF supplies some of it.  I reload lead cast bullets in free brass with bulk purchased powder and, ammo costs far out weigh the initial price of the gun.  Go for what you really want, and have no regrets.

Steve

PatrickO said:
Redeye: I agree, I don't like the magazine safety on the M&P either. It's one of the things I don't like about the Browning as well. I'll be sure to try out both versions of Glocks before I render my decision. I've read good things about CZ pistols at IDPA and IPSC matches, so I think the pistol has good value for different applications. I'm moving to Vancouver shortly so I'll be sure to hit up some of the local vendors and ranges to try some different pistols.

I removed the magazine disconnector from both of my M&P's in about 12 minutes (+/-) per pistol, and the same can be done with the Browning in a bit more time - mine took me about 20 minutes, only because I'm a bit fumble-fingered with small parts.

If you are come through Northern Ontario on your trip to British California stop by and you can try a vast variety of various hand-cannons at mi casa...

blake

I-6 - everywhere seems to have only the mag safety versions (and the silly internal lock too!) but I suppose you could get one special ordered.  I got mine from CanadaAmmo.com because the price was good and I thought the window was closing on the M&P rebate offer (which S&W has just extended again!) so I didn't bother with special ordering.  It's a small nuisance for competitive shoots, but not the end of the world.  Besides, with the M&P it fits my hand a little better so I can drop mags without having to rotate my wrist, with the Glock I had to sort of "reach" for the mag release and ended up sweeping a bit, not good in a match!  I was going to put a Lone Wolf extended mag release on it, but the M&P seems to have fixed the issue anyhow.

mudgunner49 said:
I removed the magazine disconnector from both of my M&P's in about 12 minutes (+/-) per pistol, and the same can be done with the Browning in a bit more time - mine took me about 20 minutes, only because I'm a bit fumble-fingered with small parts.

If you are come through Northern Ontario on your trip to British California stop by and you can try a vast variety of various hand-cannons at mi casa...

blake

How does one go about disengaging the mag safety?  and thanks for the offer, mudgunner  :salute:

- If you have disengaged anything that was designed into the firearm for safety, and your firearm is later associated with an injury or a fatality, your lawyers will have much more work to do. 

Back