• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've emailed the folks from the website, no answer yet, definitely need a copy by Friday for when I'm gone on TD to do a PER. Can anyone provide me with the password? I know this is an older thread, but it would be great if someone could help me out!

murrdawg said:
I've emailed the folks from the website, no answer yet, definitely need a copy by Friday for when I'm gone on TD to do a PER. Can anyone provide me with the password? I know this is an older thread, but it would be great if someone could help me out!

Check you pm's.

Could someone please PM me the password .. reaching the 819 phone number in Quebec is almost impossible (Voice mail) ;D

Does anyone know why units hold PER boards in Early Jan or Feb? Are those scores written in stone?  If the reporting period is always from 31 Mar to 1 Apr. Apparently, according to CSM, the scores are set. Just sounds so wrong to me, Also according to him, only the CO can change a PER Score. I hope he is joking!

You will want to have a look at paragraph 5b of CANFORGEN 010/17.

Mediman14 said:
Does anyone know why units hold PER boards in Early Jan or Feb? Are those scores written in stone?  If the reporting period is always from 31 Mar to 1 Apr. Apparently, according to CSM, the scores are set. Just sounds so wrong to me, Also according to him, only the CO can change a PER Score. I hope he is joking!

The ranking boards are NOT used to determine PER scores. Supervisors are to assess their personnel as honestly as they can, with obvious room for adjustment pending input from higher supervisors. The ranking boards are only to determine a members section 6 ranking, which is more overall and more general assessment of how the member compares against all other members of their rank in the unit.

In theory,  you could have the "number 2" corporal at the unit having a higher PER score than the "number 1" corporal if everyone thinks he's superior but number 2's boss/chain of command tend to be more generous with their hard right bullets .

Ideally supervisors go to the ranking board with draft scores and a 'brag sheet' to justify the scores, but they aren't fixed.  If you do them inside the reporting periods (due to opsched etc) it should be with the understanding that the scores/ranking can be adjusted if someone does something above and beyond or gets up to shenanigans, gets promoted, etc.  Some units do actually wait until end March to do the rankings; it really all depends on what's going on, and tends to roll down from higher direction for when things are getting submitted for review for higher authority (if required) or the formation level rankings.

Normally that's run through the PER monitoring organization who also does all the reviewing etc who are typically the POC for all things PERs including changes to scoring and ranking before it goes to the CO.

That CANFORGEN was given full distribution but the local pecking orders are still happening. I've already seen it and raised the flag. Old habits die very hard.

AirDet said:
That CANFORGEN was given full distribution but the local pecking orders are still happening. I've already seen it and raised the flag. Old habits die very hard.

What my fear is this; we have different departments with different supervisors who have different opinions on how to score PERS.

So, we do the ranking board, and we determine Cpl A is the top Cpl at the unit, and Cpl B is the second best at the unit. That will go in the Section 6.

However, Cpls A and B are from different departments. Cpl A's supervisors give a completely honest assessment of him, and as a result, he has a hard right, but not fully right, PER. Cpl B's department, on the other hand, has supervisors who give you a fully right PER just because they know you are good shit, without really looking at the word pictures and assessing each factor on its merits.

As a result, while the unit determined and agreed as a whole that Cpl A was the "superior" of the two Cpl, his PER is actually lower than the PER of Cpl B.

Lumber said:
What my fear is this; we have different departments with different supervisors who have different opinions on how to score PERS.

So, we do the ranking board, and we determine Cpl A is the top Cpl at the unit, and Cpl B is the second best at the unit. That will go in the Section 6.

However, Cpls A and B are from different departments. Cpl A's supervisors give a completely honest assessment of him, and as a result, he has a hard right, but not fully right, PER. Cpl B's department, on the other hand, has supervisors who give you a fully right PER just because they know you are good crap, without really looking at the word pictures and assessing each factor on its merits.

As a result, while the unit determined and agreed as a whole that Cpl A was the "superior" of the two Cpl, his PER is actually lower than the PER of Cpl B.

Sometimes that is justified though, particularly if they are different trades with different scores required to merit nationally.  The question to ask is do this Cpl's deserve to be promoted?  If the answer is yes then the next question is what score is required to do that in there trade?  For example a MSE Op Cpl might only need a 14/2 5/1 and that will do the job.  But for an EO Tech he needs at least two years of 16/6 just to get in the top 5 of his trade....knowledge of national trends is required to situate the estimate.  But that EO Tech Cpl may still only be the #2 Cpl in the the unit and the MSE Op is #1....

Jon

Old EO Tech said:
Sometimes that is justified though, particularly if they are different trades with different scores required to merit nationally.  The question to ask is do this Cpl's deserve to be promoted?  If the answer is yes then the next question is what score is required to do that in there trade?  For example a MSE Op Cpl might only need a 14/2 5/1 and that will do the job.  But for an EO Tech he needs at least two years of 16/6 just to get in the top 5 of his trade....knowledge of national trends is required to situate the estimate.  But that EO Tech Cpl may still only be the #2 Cpl in the the unit and the MSE Op is #1....

Jon

And that's what the problem is with the whole system. You should ever ask yourself "what scores does he need to get promoted", you should be reading over PDRs, divisional notes and anything else you have on the member, then reading the word pictures, the determining whether his performance more closely matches "Outstanding" or "Above Average".

If all we did was first determine "should they get promoted" and then determine "what score do they need to get promoted", and simply put that on their PER, then the entire CFPAS process and the PER have been made superfluous.

Which it has...

Which is why when you have an "honest" boss it kind of sucks.

Okay, I've PM-ed the password to the last 6 people who requested the password here, as there is no indication whether the info is still required or not.

As I previously noted deeper in this thread, anyone is free to PM me directly to get the password. 

Cheers,

AK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back