• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Penelope Oleksiak - Greatest Canadian Olympian?

Oldgateboatdriver

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Can you believe this: A 16 year old out for her first ever Olympics, likely to "gain experience for the next one", wins medals in the first four events she participated in and becomes the most medaled Canadian Olympian in any single summer Olympics.

If she stays healthy throughout her swimming career, she could be Canada's "Michael Phelps".

I sure hope she is the flag bearer for closing ceremonies.

Bravo Zulu Penelope!

P.S.: Our women Olympians merit a statue in Ottawa ... could be made of bronze  ;D.

The best part is in true Canadian fashion she shares her gold medal with another athlete!

So far, 100% of Canadian medals have been won by women.  Maybe it's time for the men and men's teams to pick up their game...

The really impressive part (on her gold) was that she was in 7th place at the turn; she recovered and caught up to tie.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Can you believe this: A 16 year old out for her first ever Olympics, likely to "gain experience for the next one", wins medals in the first four events she participated in and becomes the most medaled Canadian Olympian in any single summer Olympics.

If she stays healthy throughout her swimming career, she could be Canada's "Michael Phelps".

I sure hope she is the flag bearer for closing ceremonies.

Bravo Zulu Penelope!

P.S.: Our women Olympians merit a statue in Ottawa ... could be made of bronze  ;D.

Not only that but she's the youngest gold medal winner we've ever had.

Oh there is talk about her being the Flag Bearer but...she's only sixteen and cannot be in the village unaccompanied and her parents are leaving soon.  The Canadian Contingent is trying to work something out apparently. LOL.

I'm also impressed with her poise in speaking with the media.  I know at 16 I would not have sounded anywhere near as professional and polished.  What a excellent role model this young lady could become to many.

MJP said:
The best part is in true Canadian fashion she shares her gold medal with another athlete!

The second Canadian "share" in swimming actually, since Kelly Masse shared her Bronze with the Chinese Fu  :nod:.  We are too kind.

And it's pretty amazing when you consider that they now measure time in hundredth of a second.

jollyjacktar said:
I'm also impressed with her poise in speaking with the media.  I know at 16 I would not have sounded anywhere near as professional and polished.  What a excellent role model this young lady could become to many.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Women's soccer team just beat France to advance to the semi-finals, where they will (again) face Germany.

So, Canada's Olympic men, feel free to pick it up any time...

Well, that's a good option on a medal: 75% chance. And with the US out of the picture and Norway in, there's one weak link in the last four, though you can never discount anyone in the Olympic tournament.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Well, that's a good option on a medal: 75% chance. And with the US out of the picture and Sweden in, there's one weak link in the last four, though you can never discount anyone in the Olympic tournament.
FTFY

Back