• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)

Drallib said:
I've been searching for this answer for a while now and have asked many people with different answers.

Do you salute when you're not on base?

For example, you go out for lunch and in the parking lot of Tim Hortons or the grocery store, do you salute an officer? (both in uniform obviously)

Thanks.

Yes.

Drallib said:
I've been searching for this answer for a while now and have asked many people with different answers.

Do you salute when you're not on base?

For example, you go out for lunch and in the parking lot of Tim Hortons or the grocery store, do you salute an officer? (both in uniform obviously)

Thanks.
Easy to find, even using the wonderful DWAN search engine.

From Chapter 1 Section 2 of the Manual of Drill and Cerimonial:

INDIVIDUAL
9. Officers shall salute all officers of higher rank and shall return all compliments paid them. Senior officers
receiving compliments from marching troops on a ceremonial parade shall hold the salute as each individual
component passes directly by in review.
10. Non-commissioned members shall salute all commissioned officers.

<snip>

CIVILIAN DRESS
16. Appropriate compliments shall be paid when recognizing an officer dressed in civilian clothing.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/ins-201/dhh_manual_drill_cermonial.pdf

211RadOp said:
Easy to find, even using the wonderful DWAN search engine.

From Chapter 1 Section 2 of the Manual of Drill and Cerimonial:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/ins-201/dhh_manual_drill_cermonial.pdf

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't read anything about being out in the public. Public buildings, turn your head and offer a polite greeting. Edit: But outside in a public setting it doesn't say whether to offer just a polite greeting or to salute the officer.

Para 10. Non-commissioned members shall salute all commissioned officers.

There is no distinction on public/private/military property.

Drallib said:
Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't read anything about being out in the public. Public buildings, turn your head and offer a polite greeting. Edit: But outside in a public setting it doesn't say whether to offer just a polite greeting or to salute the officer.

You aren't missing it - the expectation does not change based on venue so it doesn't need to be stated. 

For someone who is very fond of being saluted, it's always good to have a large number of recruits walk by them individually as the officer is talking to his girlfriend and have the recruits salute him, forcing him to turn and return the salute, after about 30 times in a row he was getting tired of being saluted and retreated to an office. We noted that the glamour had faded from the idea after that. I saluted an Air Force officer at CFB Trenton who didn't bother to return the salute which he clearly saw. The General behind him did see it and stopped us both and schooled the Officer on the importance of returning the salute, making him practice it. The General thanked me for my time in the instruction. I don't think the Officer was as happy.

Walking to work when I was at 101, I saluted an Air Force Maj one day.  He was carrying a briefcase and talking on his cell phone.  It was funny watching him trying to juggle everything to return it.

Colin P said:
For someone who is very fond of being saluted, it's always good to have a large number of recruits walk by them individually as the officer is talking to his girlfriend and have the recruits salute him, forcing him to turn and return the salute, after about 30 times in a row he was getting tired of being saluted and retreated to an office. We noted that the glamour had faded from the idea after that. I saluted an Air Force officer at CFB Trenton who didn't bother to return the salute which he clearly saw. The General behind him did see it and stopped up both and schooled the Officer on the importance of returning the salute, making him practice it. The General thanked me for my time in the instruction. I don't think the Officer was as happy.

He pulled a 'Chesty Puller' :)

"Puller insisted upon good equipment and discipline; once he came upon a second lieutenant who had ordered an enlisted man to salute him 100 times for missing a salute. Puller told the lieutenant, "You were absolutely correct in making him salute you 100 times, Lieutenant, but you know that an officer must return every salute he receives. Now return them all, and I will keep count."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesty_Puller

Back