• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PART-TIME SOLDIERS READY FOR DUTY: COMMANDER

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Shared IAW the Fair Dealings provisisons of the Copyright Act:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terror/2006/11/21/2432791-cp.html

Part-time soldiers ready for duty: commander

FREDERICTON (CP) - The man who will command Canada's next battle group in Afghanistan says he has no qualms about using reservists in combat roles.

Lt.-Col. Robert Walker says the reservists are essential to meet Canada's commitment and he's confident they have received the necessary training. Walker's comments come as soldiers return to Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in New Brunswick after a month of intensive training in Wainwright, Alta.

When more than 2,200 Canadian troops head to Afghanistan in February, 250 reservists will put their regular lives on hold to become full-time soldiers for the six-month deployment.

Sgt. Jeff Walsh, 34, of Miramichi, N.B., has put a computer degree at the University of New Brunswick on hold to serve in Afghanistan.

Walsh - a reservist for the last 17 years - says the training over the last few months has prepared him to the same level as members of the regular army.

Most of the reservists being deployed in February are from Atlantic Canada.

I don't quite understand what the big deal is. We have already had reservists die in combat and they are already being integrated.

If only there were better laws for employers to guarantee their jobs when they deploy, it would make life easier for a reservist to volunteer.

They must have needed something to write about.  I myself like the fact that the Comdr said what he did...but...if they have been training since April...full time...and will deploy in February..full time...when do they stop being part time soldiers????

::)

rick7475 said:
I don't quite understand what the big deal is. We have already had reservists die in combat and they are already being integrated.

If only there were better laws for employers to guarantee their jobs when they deploy, it would make life easier for a reservist to volunteer.

You know it, I know it... the public needs to hear it over and over.

Personally, I'll take stories like this everyday in the news than the
crap that comes from some up in Ottawa.

250 or 2200 troops are reserve = 11%
Some rotos go as high as 20%
Then again, this number (250) may not include PRT, NCE & other add on troops.

Back