• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

Okay, what's all this stuff about counting to 10 with your boots on?  Shouldn't that be 20?  Or are you missing a finger (or more)?  ;)

Im heading out to BMQ in a couple weeks, my question is, do we have to tote all this stuff back home with us too?
Even us navy guys?

JamieR said:
Im heading out to BMQ in a couple weeks, my question is, do we have to tote all this stuff back home with us too?
Even us navy guys?

Why would that matter ?

IF you pass BMQ...the military moves you, its not like you are going "home" after.........its not summer camp ( reg F of course)

Everything in annex B for sure and part of annex C, remove all of the army and field kit and there you have, basically you're NCD's and service dress

PMedMoe said:
Okay, what's all this stuff about counting to 10 with your boots on?  Shouldn't that be 20?  Or are you missing a finger (or more)?  ;)

I was just sitting here wondering what I'll be saying someday.

I had to use the internet back in my day! Damn you blasted kids and your hypno crap!

CDN Aviator said:
Why would that matter ?

IF you pass BMQ...the military moves you, its not like you are going "home" after.........its not summer camp ( reg F of course)

Actually I am going home after, because that is where the next part of my training will be. thanks for the reply.

having just left st jean recently i can tell you .. buy a great pair of sneakers and bring about $300... canex will have everything u need.. i bought alot of stuff befor i got there and it was a huge waste. alot was useless and the rest i had to buy over just to be in symmetry with my platoon mates..

winks2872 said:
having just left st jean recently i can tell you .. buy a great pair of sneakers and bring about $300... canex will have everything u need.. i bought alot of stuff befor i got there and it was a huge waste. alot was useless and the rest i had to buy over just to be in symmetry with my platoon mates..

Don't they still give ya a cash advance (around 250) to buy stuff (you need/on the list) at cannex (in the first week)?

I was told you're given an advance but it's not even going to come remotely close to the amount of money you need to cover the things you need to buy.

If you just finished at St. Jean and had to dump alot of stuff for a new set at Canex, any tips on specifically what not to buy? I don't want to skip on buying these and come unprepared, but at the same time if a few key items could be safely avoided the savings in money spent would be really helpful. (I don't see why the army doesn't just email you or something a week or two ahead of time listing out the objects Canex is carrying so you can avoid buying everything twice.)

Thanks

sciar said:
I was told you're given an advance but it's not even going to come remotely close to the amount of money you need to cover the things you need to buy.

You know, 15 years ago they gave us an advance of $60...then we went to Canex.  The store was closed to the general base population for about an hour while we went through.  The instructors told us there were items placed on the floor and that we were to buy what was put on the floor.....no more, no less.  Wouldnt you know it, the total price for these items came to $59.99.....i kid you not.  Funny, how did they know to advance us $60.......i wonder....

I'm going to assume you understand what i am saying

unless things have realy changed of course

I have an idea folks read the joining instructions, they do not lie, when they say bring about 150 for incidentals when you get there, bring about 150 bucks (add 100 bucks if you're taking a cab from the airport) all this 300 here, 600 there, is complete garbage. as for stuff you can buy before hand, almost everything (i reccomend fluid items no longer permitted in carry on like spray starch and mouthwash la de dah be left for purchase in ST Jean, but the rest go for it) maybe some spending change for the vending machines. and yes they will give you a one time advance of about 150 or so if you just can't swing the cash.

Now we are starting to rehash what has already been covered several times in greater detail in other topics.  I guess I have to do some work for you all and use my initiative and time to SEARCH and MERGE.....and miss my timings with the .............WAIT!........What am I saying?........You guys look up the topics on what to and what not to take to St Jean for Basic.

I seriously have no idea why you guys get so offended when someone decides to take their time out of their day to retype some info. It's a discussion sometimes we re-use words and ideas, if we didn't conversations would run out far too quickly.

But I'm sure there's a reason

Yes there is,..........we like info to be short, concise, to the point and easy to find. The Mods spend a lot of time moving,merging and sometimes deleting info to make it just that.

We have chat and a section called Radio Chatter if you just want to "talk" for the sake of "talking".

Thanks.

ArtyNewbie said:
OK so I see someone is good with cut and paste right from the joining instructions read a little deeper specifically para 5a. (Equipment) where it says is that those walking in off the street bring the stuff from annex B (the stuff you pick-up at canex or wherever you choose to purchase them) and current serving mbrs (reservists, CFR's, SCP, etc) bring the stuff from annex B and annex C (issued from environmental clothing stores) Hope it provides some clarity. And in the future read the joining instructions a little more closely, they may just have a pre-course assignment in them (wink, wink)

??? There is a pre-course assignment?  Are you talking about the preparing to write a autobiography of yourself? or is there something I missed in the joining instruction?

AverageJoe said:
??? There is a pre-course assignment?  Are you talking about the preparing to write a autobiography of yourself? or is there something I missed in the joining instruction?

Yup.

6. Documents to bring /Arrival procedures:

h. Autobiography: All candidates must also write
their autobiography. We strongly recommend
that you do so before reporting to CFLRS (See Annex E).

ANNEX E

AUTOBIOGRAPHY WRITING GUIDE
1. When writing your autobiography, make sure
you follow those directives to the letter;
otherwise you will have to redo it.
a. Use blue ink, 8.5 x 14 inch lined paper
only;
b. Should be between 300 to 400 words;
c. SHALL be written neatly and clearly;
d. Use one side of the sheet only and
double space between lines; and
e. SHALL include a cover page with the
following information in the centre.
AUTOBIOGRAPHY
Rank, name, initials, service number, and platoon
number
a. The autobiography starts on the second
page at one inch (2.5 cm) from the top;
and
b. Write your name, service number and
sign your autobiography directly under
the last line on the right hand side of the
sheet.
2. Family history includes the following:
a. First and last name;
b. Date of birth, place;
c. Parents – father, mother (alive or deceased)
– their profession(s);
d.Children – how many in your family –
which order (oldest, youngest, etc.);
and
e. Family – your childhood and your life in
your family.
3. School: General summary of your education.
Last grade completed, college, university.
4. Previous work:
a. Employment history, part time, full time,
etc.; and
b. Have you ever had a summer job or
worked on weekends? (If so, how long?).
5. Have you ever been in the:
a. Cubs, Boy Scouts, Cadets or the Reserves
(Navy, Army, Air);
b. How long?;
e. Courses taken; and
f. Rank.
6. Sports – Leisure – Social Activities :
a. Sports: which sports did you play? Did you
participate in team sports? (If so, with
which team) and have you ever been a
team captain?
b. Leisure: what do you do for leisure?
(Reading, music, photography, etc.) and
c. Social activities: did you ever take part in
particular groups (students association,
theater troop, music, etc). Have you ever
filled a president’s position in those
organizations?
7. Reasons you enrolled: Why did you join the
Canadian Forces?
8. What are your three trades choices?
Note: We want a document of 1 to 1½ pages long
(400 words). Do not forget to sign your
biography.

AverageJoe said:
  Are you talking about the preparing to write a autobiography of yourself?

Who else would you write an autobiography on ?

you know, once we got there, we had to re-write our autobiograhies, took about 3 or 4 drafts for me, for the final one to be accepted

but thats not the point. This is the first "order" you are given, you have a tasking to complete, regardless of how many times you have to rewrite it, putting it off until you get there is a good indication of character or lack there of. Believe it or not this is a very simple assignment if done correctly the first time it rarely ever comes back. My reccomendation, type it first, run it through spelling and grammer check, print it off and then hand write what you have. Another hine is to draw (very lightly) in pencil your margins, then when you're done take a white eraser to it and bobs your uncle.

Back