• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

P Res Wpns shop entitlements

gunfxr

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day
    I'm currently A W Tech L at a reserve Svc Bn and All I have for tools are those in the individual tool box. Is there a Check list or entitlement for a shop. IE all the common tools like taps, dies, larger drill bits, grinders, riveters, ect. Although I haven't fixed many guns yet (yes they're guns look up the definition of gun), I can see the day coming when I will need a Chisel slightly narrower than the one I have and filing a chisel to size is really a s**ty way to spend an evening. any help would be great. 

gunfxr said:
(yes they're guns look up the definition of gun),

Thanks for assuming we're stupid.

Since you posted this twice, thanks for assumimng we were too stupid to understand the first time.

the gun comment is an inside joke as the army defines gun as a large caliber direct fire cannon, where the rest of the industry defines gun as a firearm with a one piece barrel and chamber. I didn't intend to imply stupidity onto anybody.  And for the second post I assumed my explanation at the bottom of the second post was explanatory. I apologize for offending anybody.

gunfxr said:
the gun comment is an inside joke as the army defines gun as a large caliber direct fire cannon,

Yeah thanks for the lesson. Gee i must have wasted the last 17 years.

Good luck getting the tools you need. i know it sucks having to improvise all the time.

If the need is there for common tooling,the DA holder can put a request through supply or through your tool crib. Keep in mind there is an entitlement scale for your shop(and every shop,for that matter) that supply will check before ordering tooling for you. Common hand tools shouldn't be a problem,but anything specialty or "shiny" might end up in the shredder. Hope this helps.

I think you're only entitled to the tools if you're qualified. I think Reserve W Techs need to take the reg force course and given the length, not many do, if they can get the course. The other option to qualification, I believe, is a full time OJT at a Reg unit. Again, not an option for a Reservist with a job. These were the problems encountered by the Res gun plumber we had here.

gun plumber - it's the entitlements that supply checks against, that I need to find, If i can get it through the system then I don't need to get funding from the unit.

Checklists exist for MRTs is there one for a shop?

Mate,

We all want a dream armourer's den/wksp, but we must be practical in a 1st line repair shop, which will limit the requirements.

1st Line regardless of Militia or Regular forces. Although Militia may be limited in the scope of their repairs, the equipment required should be similar or mirror any 1st line wksp.

What I do beleive is the norm is (of course in secure caged area preferred too):

Hope this can give you some good ideas, and this should be in scope.

For specialty tools for work but 'personal' use, we have the tool guys (Snap On etc)come by on a regular basis. Our RAEME lads buy stuff they need to compliment their issue tool boxes, and write it off on tax. Example: I wanted a digital verniers, so I bought one, and I use it often.

- floor mounted drill press w/acc's,
- cordless drill w/acc's,
- dremel tool w/acc's,
- hand engraver,
- floor mounted grinder/wire wheel/buffer,
- good lighting, also portable fluro light w/magnifying glass (fixes to workbench),
- quality workbench(es)
- parts washer/bath w/exhaust-ventilation fan (there is some good ones out which use non flammable/non toxic liquids),
- standard armourer's tool box(es),
- appropiate PPE (gloves, eye/ear protection etc),
- inspection gauges for wpns held/auth to repair etc,
- selection of locktites, paints, CLP/lubes etc w/appropiate safe storage locker,
- a 'healthy' qty of repair parts for wpns, stoves, lanterns etc - all for your level of repair,
- a current library of wpns and related EMEI/EMER/CFTOs and other printed manuals for quick reference,
- computer w/printer, hooked up to your CF system and MIMS (or whatever you use there),
- generic workshop expendible stores/materiels (wet/dry sand paper etc),
- an abundance of servicibility tags  :nod: ; and
- PP&S as required

If not an entitlement, as long as one can justify a genuine need for equipment, it should not be too difficult using the chain of command to have this stuff LPO'd thru the CQ/RQ route.

As a Tp SGT and A/ASM, I often countersigned paperwork to action these requests, andn rarely things got knocked back at the TQ/RQ level, but as usual things did take an outagous amount of time to get, and this was with my time in the ARA.

Modern weapons when repaired are component changed only these days, so the need for old fashioned 'fair dinkum' armourer's workshops are now gone.

In larger wksps say for FTR action or 3rd Line heavy repair, phosphating equipment, degreasing tanks etc are the norm, as are paint booths, grit blasters, ovens for powder coating etc.

You can use oxy/acet, TIG and arc welding gear thru your GE and other EME wksp areas. Also other related eqpt which they hold which might come in handy.

I dont think there is a reason for tap and dies etc at this level, but you might find those in a veh section in which you could borrow if needed.

Although I have been out of the CF loop officially almost 15 yrs, could you please advise me why RCMP is used in your CSS Unit, along with the unique rank/grade after MCPL. Maybe I've been out too long to remember.

Regards, and of course Arte et Marte,

OWDU
RAEME Cousin

Overwatch
    Yep that's a good list of tools, now I just need the CFTO or check list number that says that I can have those at CF expense rather than LPO. Local funds are limited and if I take $10k to buy tools that could be ordered through the system that's money not available for other projects that don't have supply support. As for borrowing tools, we have a Reg F MSS veh shop with 5 V techs but they are mostly 8 to 4 Mon to Fri, and typically their shop is closed on parade nights and weekends. When they do open the shop for the res V techs they don't appreciate me coming out and borrowing tools distracting them from their own trade training, nor would those tools be available for ranges or exercises.

Now on to the RCMP/ TCE thing I'm employed by the RCMP as an armourer understudy, and do the reserve Wpns Tech thing when I can, TCE stands for Term Contract Employee, a stepping stone until I become a permanent civilian member of the RCMP.

Well, you lucked on on an excellent job w/the Mounties.

Say hello to Tony P for me. I have not seen him since 2000 when I visited him out in the (at the time) newly upgraded Armourer's facility in Regina.

The RCMP has one great facility, and I would simply call it a world class armourer's Aladin's cave of both eqpt and 'working library'. I can remember putting a mag or two thru the MP40 on the 25m test range, but that was 1983, and Tony P was there then too, ha!

Regina Armouries used to have an excellent weapons repair shop there, until the storage facility expanded and the room was lost sometime after 1997. It was the best in the province (even better than CFB MJ had, although they had a pentograph for making name tags), and it was called the Bat Cave.

Regards,

Wes A

I am going on old data here, so please correct me if the policies have been updated.
Here goes

Reserve EME workshops, whilst employed in a garrison setting are (were) not allowed to perform maintenance on equipment. The responsibility for such duties falls upon that particular units closest support entity such as an ASU. (Chilliwack, Calgary, London, etc). This is, or was based on a few key issues.
1. How current the technicians are on the equipment and their training level. A QL3, and on OJT technician can not work indepentently for liability reasons. Wpns investigations normally have to be done by a 6a, or at least signed off by one.
2. Availability of parts (especially accountable parts), special tooling and standardization of repair; and
3. The expectations placed upon the reserve EME Tech to complete their job in a timely manner, during parade nights and field deployments. There is just not enough alloted time and money alloted to fund the standing up of workshops and a full time repair crew. If the unit had a reg force or full time maintenance NCO this could be different. It all revolved around the maintenance policy of the Brigabe and Area in which you are employed.

When deployed to the field I am unsure of the level of repair that is allowed, but I do recall that only minor 1st line jobs and operator maintenance as well as basic recovery can be done, if the equipment is available.

I hate to be the bearer of any potential bad news, but I do understand it to be that the only time a reserve tech, of any trade will do any indepth repair work is when it is employed with a regular force unit and proper supervision is available.
Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.
I'll do some digging and see what I can find WRT to reserve EME workshops.

GF,

Your EME chain of command will have a PRS, so check out and find some info in this writing on your PRS (Permissive Repair Schedule), that will be your bible in what you are allowed to repair weapons wise (IAW as per individual quals) in a Militia EME weapons shop, this will reflect 1st line. This PRS already might be posted on the wll of your shop. If you are ex regular 421, I am sure you'll be up to current standards at the time of release (WRT C6/C7/C9 FOWs etc). The only thing that changes is ammendments to CFTOs and safety sigs etc.

The PRS is either set by your parent repair authority, or support unit/base. It used to be anyways.

If you are out of Regina, the shop was moved out to another room, but there should still be a lot of the old wksp eqpt (or there was in 04 when I passed thru for a visit) still in use in that new area.

Good luck, and percivere, and do let us know on your success.

OwDu
    There is no local PRS and the onlyCFTO copy that I can find is from the 80's and has the 106mm and FNC1 in it, so no real help there. 
    I have found a bunch of checklist for stuff like "tool kit, general mechanic's" & "shop equipment, automotive repair", but I haven't found the one titled "shop equipment, small arms repair" or the like.
  As for the equipment that was in the shop What do you remember being in there?  I have the drill press and the buffer, but I can't use them until they are mounted to the floor, but I'm not allowed to drill in to the floor to place the anchors. ( I have a solution in the works). any other equipmet is lost, broken, missing or stolen. I had to take a work bench from the auto shop and all other furnature is stuff that was left in there from the store room.

Tony is the shop IC at the RCMP right now and he's really stressed these days as we don't have a NCO IC and probably won't have one until Christmas or later. but yes it is a world class facility, so you can understand my frustration when i show up on a tuesday night and can't even fix the rear sight on a C6, or even repair the brownings sitting in the vault.

Combatbuddha- what policies are these? if you have the time could you PM me with references (as this could end my search very quickly).  I haven't ever seen anything like this, the closest i can think of is directive stating that the support unit is responsible for supporting the reserve shops. indecently the nearest wpns shop is in in Dundurn staffed by a reservist, with no indication of a Reg F tech until the 2010/11 APS at the earliest.  I am a 5B qualified tech, I have a very small inventory of equipment to repair, less that I've had in a long time. My Chain of Comd Has NEVER stated that I'm not to perform repairs, and I have 2 other W techs that i have to train one for QL3 the other needs to get his 4's done. so even if I can't fix a gun I can still teach these guys how to operate a drill, sharpen a drill bit, or install a heli-coil, if i have the tools.
  I will get the tools and I will be repairing guns it's just a question of who pays for it. 

gunfxr said:
OwDu
    yes it is a world class facility, so you can understand my frustration when i show up on a tuesday night and can't even fix the rear sight on a C6, or even repair the brownings sitting in the vault.

Its like going from a new top of the line Rolls-Royce to an old rusty Lada  :nod:

The room was a few doors down from an RRR Q store in and around RRR lines.

As for stuff, I can remember a nice wooden topped work bench which was new w/vice, the standard red 'White' complete tool box, a buffer/grinder, and a decent drill press. How a few years of neglect can change things. The old 'bat cave' was well set up. Too bad they had to reclaim the floor space. That cave also had a good compressor too

Regards,

OWDU

yup that where the shop is now, the bench was gone, the drill press and buffer were covered in rust ( still some deep pits on the machine table). I now have 2 large ultrasonic cleaners (a cast off from another federal dept) but I need to get CE down to put in a 220v 15 A recepticle. so stuff is happened in the past week but I'm still far from where I want to be.

Gunfxr, I have a Rforce brother who is 5b qualed and says to contact the LCMM for your checklist. Hope this helps. Cheers.

gun runner said:
Gunfxr, I have a Rforce brother who is 5b qualed and says to contact the LCMM for your checklist. Hope this helps. Cheers.

The OP hasn't been here since August 18, 2009, 19:26:51. It's not likely he'll  be seeing this.

Back