• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Opportunity to update the CC-150 fleet?

I completely agree. C17 lands with two LAVs inside of it. The company that will use them with all their gear get off the A330 one plane over.
That scenario would have the majority of the Company walking. Is it time for Canada to ask our American friends to sell us some Fiscal year 2010-2015 slightly used C-17's to supplement our Fleet? I will take three at least please.

Would the Yanks be open to that suggestion?

Minister Anand I would think needs a Win. Transports with the big Canada on the side are easy for Liberal voters to understand

Anyone taking bets the VVIP suite is put in first? And that is the reason we are getting the used one first to standup fast as they can. (I have heard the current PM is not too happy with the current suite.)
F - him. Let him fly Air Canada.

This is likely the driving factor for the purchase, the other airframes are just icing on the cake for him.
@Colin Parkinson - more like top cover to hide the purchase amongst a legitimate one.

:mad:

I have limited understanding of strategic airlift requirements but add these to the pool with the Hercs, C-17's seem to me to create options and more capacity. Given the expeditionary nature (even within our own country) of the CAF having more aircraft that can just move "stuff" while liberating the C17's to move just "big stuff" is good.
Personally, I think this is a great move for the Army.

Assuming all aircraft are serviceable and we have the requisite pilots, we would have the capacity to move the personnel of an entire brigade group in one lift.

5 x C-17 @ 134 = 670;
17 x C-130J @ 128 = 2,176; and
6 x A330-200 @ 380 = 2,280
Total 5,126

A forward deployed brigade group would probably have some of its people permanently stationed forward so the numbers needing flyover would also be less.

It's doubtful we would ever have all aircraft on line but at that capacity we could easily move the personnel of a brigade group in just two lifts.

Long story short, our ability to forward deploy forces and rapidly reinforce them and subsequently sustain them is being dramatically improved.

🍻

Let him fly Air Canada.
The current suite was garbage in 2010 when I took a flight on one of those aircraft back from Cyprus and got a tour from the stewards. It was a 1990's cubicle conference room. I was embarrassed to look at it. Part of being a mature country is spending the money to ensure that our leaders have appropriate facilities. And cheeping out doesn't stop with the military. The diplomatic corps is even more screwed than we are half the time.

That scenario would have the majority of the Company walking
Until the next C-17 arrives, and the next one etc... Point is you don't need to have a C-17 carry the troops in and also take a separate trip for the vehicles. They would act as a light company until the rest of their gear arrives. You could essentially double the speed of the deployment.

The current suite was garbage in 2010 when I took a flight on one of those aircraft back from Cyprus and got a tour from the stewards. It was a 1990's cubicle conference room. I was embarrassed to look at it. Part of being a mature country is spending the money to ensure that our leaders have appropriate facilities. And cheeping out doesn't stop with the military. The diplomatic corps is even more screwed than we are half the time.

Until the next C-17 arrives, and the next one etc... Point is you don't need to have a C-17 carry the troops in and also take a separate trip for the vehicles. They would act as a light company until the rest of their gear arrives. You could essentially double the speed of the deployment.
I understand your lack of faith - which I don't find disturbing so no Force Choke - to the fact that every time Canada buys a new (insert name of equipment) some journalists raises a hue and cry about wasteful government spending on "baubles" for the elite.

When Adrienne Clarkson was the GG people were in a tizzy over her budget and thought the GG position should be eliminated,...

I understand your lack of faith - which I don't find disturbing so no Force Choke - to the fact that every time Canada buys a new (insert name of equipment) some journalists raises a hue and cry about wasteful government spending on "baubles" for the elite.

When Adrienne Clarkson was the GG people were in a tizzy over her budget and thought the GG position should be eliminated,...
Clarkson took entitlement to a new level as did her husband who insisted on being called his excellency. Despite his writing record. I remember the Tour Ms Clarkson took of the Arctic Countries . With about 150 of her closest friends that happened to all reside in Toronto.

Yeah - but when you have a Chevy military, having a Cadillac VIP aircraft just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I feel the same way about NDHQ. We couldn't afford to buy the weapons or the people for most of the combat support systems in the Army but we can afford to fill cubicles in a billion dollar new headquarters in Ottawa. I know we had people scattered in rented buildings all over Ottawa, but my take-away from that was we had too many people not too few consolidated buildings.

#pointyendfirst

🍻

are we using C-17's to move people right now? If so new CC-330's should help with that. The CC-150's have been limping along for quite a while now and I heard first hand account of how bad the VIP bird was over 10 yrs ago and it was not good. Do we think one will be dedicated VIP and the rest being able to transition from fuel/cargo/people or all three. Or will all 6 be able to be the VIP as well

are we using C-17's to move people right now? If so new CC-330's should help with that. The CC-150's have been limping along for quite a while now and I heard first hand account of how bad the VIP bird was over 10 yrs ago and it was not good. Do we think one will be dedicated VIP and the rest being able to transition from fuel/cargo/people or all three. Or will all 6 be able to be the VIP as well
Yes, I personally have been moved in a C17. There is a pallet seating arrangement that can be loaded. I think I read in one of the A330 articles that this same pallet works for that aircraft for a quick transition between formats.

Would a Reserve squadron or separate flights adjacent to major commercial bases such as Calgary or Vancouver make more sense? More flight crew and maintainers, closer to Cold Lake and Comox.
Isn't that how it uses to be before we closed a lot of bases? Most other countries have mixed civilian and military airports, why not us?

Isn't that how it uses to be before we closed a lot of bases? Most other countries have mixed civilian and military airports, why not us?
I believe that was already discussed in this thread/forum somewhere. Comox is fine as it is, but relocating Cold Lake to Edmonton or Saskatoon would mean longer transit times to the CLAWR.

I believe that was already discussed in this thread/forum somewhere. Comox is fine as it is, but relocating Cold Lake to Edmonton or Saskatoon would mean longer transit times to the CLAWR.
I meant for reserve elements, we used to have air auxiliary squadrons that were training, transport, and helicopter squadrons in major cities. Much of that was dine away with in the 80s and 90s

Because politicians listen to constituents when they complain about the military, but the airlines flip the government off when locals even think about complaining of commercial air travel.

Winnipeg is the only major Canadian commercial airport with notable dual-use, and Victoria does at least have 443 Sqn. Saint-Hubert also has 438e ETAH, but it’s primarily a GA and trg airport.

Because politicians listen to constituents when they complain about the military, but the airlines flip the government off when locals even think about complaining of commercial air travel.

Winnipeg is the only major Canadian commercial airport with notable dual-use, and Victoria does at least have 443 Sqn. Saint-Hubert also has 438e ETAH, but it’s primarily a GA and trg airport.
Don’t forget Yellowknife!

Back