• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OPP Officer Shot and Killed Near Ohsweken- Dec 27th/2022

Reviving this as the most recent relevant thread covering bail reform in the context of firearms offences:

Last Friday, a shooting in Toronto left a 44 year old mother of two dead, an uninvolved innocent murdered by a stray bullet. Toronto police today announced the arrest of Damian Hudson, charged with second degree murder.

Hudson is already out on two release orders and subject to three firearms prohibitions. He was already before the court on outstanding charges of assault causing bodily harm, and breach of probation. He was previously convicted of aggravated assault and weapons possession in 2018.

Usually we see these revolving door offenders killing other members of criminal organizations and the street gang ecosystem. This time they killed a no-shit innocent bystander; a mom just going about her day. I think we can expect this to pick up some traction.

Reviving this as the most recent relevant thread covering bail reform in the context of firearms offences:

Last Friday, a shooting in Toronto left a 44 year old mother of two dead, an uninvolved innocent murdered by a stray bullet. Toronto police today announced the arrest of Damian Hudson, charged with second degree murder.

Hudson is already out on two release orders and subject to three firearms prohibitions. He was already before the court on outstanding charges of assault causing bodily harm, and breach of probation. He was previously convicted of aggravated assault and weapons possession in 2018.

Usually we see these revolving door offenders killing other members of criminal organizations and the street gang ecosystem. This time they killed a no-shit innocent bystander; a mom just going about her day. I think we can expect this to pick up some traction.

Bloody hell

A sad state of affairs...

Hudson is already out on two release orders and subject to three firearms prohibitions.
I recall recently seeing a number on the low side of 500,000 for persons under a prohibition order. My guess would be the firearm used was probably smuggled, but I haven't seen anything about the alleged murder weapon being recovered or identified other than it was a handgun.

This time they killed a no-shit innocent bystander; a mom just going about her day. I think we can expect this to pick up some traction.

Sadly, you’re expecting more than the Government is willing to acknowledge. As SKT noted, there are more pressing issues in need of resolution…the duck hunters, etc…

Canada remains an unserious nation. 😞

Sadly, you’re expecting more than the Government is willing to acknowledge. As SKT noted, there are more pressing issues in need of resolution…the duck hunters, etc…

Canada remains an unserious nation. 😞

Hopefully it lends some momentum to the bail reform bill the Justice Minister introduced in May:

Although Hope is generally not an approved method.

I have a difficult time accepting that the Government suddenly will go back on its prior softening of bail…where trust is involved, they’re asking me more than I can give…

Although Hope is generally not an approved method.

I have a difficult time accepting that the Government suddenly will go back on its prior softening of bail…where trust is involved, they’re asking me more than I can give…
I mean, if it was just talk that would be one thing, but this is a government bill. Hopefully it gets a bit more traction. The measures, at a glance, appear reasonable.

I mean, if it was just talk that would be one thing, but this is a government bill. Hopefully it gets a bit more traction. The measures, at a glance, appear reasonable.
That much is true. However the Justice Minister has said that he expects charter challenges. This bill could fall into the 'too hard" pile.

That much is true. However the Justice Minister has said that he expects charter challenges. This bill could fall into the 'too hard" pile.
Yes, but they’ve have gotten DOJ counsel to weigh in on Charter considerations during the rafting process. That obviously doesn’t make it bulletproof, but it’s not unthinking, either. They’ll have games it out against s.1 Charter case law already. The bill appears to have been crafted to be pretty incremental and to largely depend on proven and relevant criminal history, so that seems tailored to the rational connection and proportionality needed to safe a provision under s.1. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Yes, but they’ve have gotten DOJ counsel to weigh in on Charter considerations during the rafting process. That obviously doesn’t make it bulletproof, but it’s not unthinking, either. They’ll have games it out against s.1 Charter case law already. The bill appears to have been crafted to be pretty incremental and to largely depend on proven and relevant criminal history, so that seems tailored to the rational connection and proportionality needed to safe a provision under s.1. I’m cautiously optimistic.
except that when parliament meets in the fall the first thing Trudeau will do is terminate the session and take another 3 months to travel the world before resuming parliament at which time all active legislation will have died.

except that when parliament meets in the fall the first thing Trudeau will do is terminate the session and take another 3 months to travel the world before resuming parliament at which time all active legislation will have died.
And your speculation of a sudden fall prorogue is based on what, exactly? The only thing I would see ending Parliament abruptly would be if we suddenly went into a new election, but I maintain my belief that neither NDP nor LPC stand to benefit from that.

Back