• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Old Engineer qualifications

reboog

Inactive
Reaction score
I was reading through the old demolitions pt1 PAM and came across "Engineer officer qualification 45B or 45C". Does anyone here know what that translates to in today's terminology?

Chimo

What ever the current classification for an Army Engineer Officer is. 45B was the classification for the MILE officers that would hit the Regiments. The 45C is slipping my mind, sorry. Too much pot water I guess.

00181 is the MOSID for Engineer (i.e. Army Engr Officers)
I wanna say 00189? is the MOSID for Construction Engineer Officer.

I posted a link to the Medical threads that has all the old MOC and new MOSID in column corresponding with Trade and Minimum Medical Standards ......just cross ref there:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/112032/post-1263376.html#msg1263376

or here:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/1295e03011cb7f966dc5cd953d7c17c6/tumblr_muphln9bHO1slpo2ko1_1280.png

dapaterson said:
MOC was 24; not certain about the MOSID.

Yeah, 24 came after 45. The Airfield Engineer split triggered the need to renumber IIRC.

45C was the forerunner of the Airfield Engr MOC . 45U was untrained. I don't know if there ever was a 45A but it may have been a future Mapping and Charting MCE type classification.

In 1995 we were told they were going to phase out 45C Engrs as they were no longer required. Hence a few of us, 5 or 6 decided to go 24. (Not a good career move by the way)  ;)

Back to the original question: the common 45 Engr MOC were given basic demolition training and an attempt was made to bring it up to HA qualification but this did not fly with the powers that be.

It was too soon after the tragic event at Slesse Range and the Engrs had a tough slog back to regain our CF wide trust. Things did not get sorted in the Engr world wrt explosives training until after the first Roto into Afghanistan.

I'm a bit out of my lane here, so consider these comments as a personal opinion only.

Jed said:
Things did not get sorted in the Engr world wrt explosives training until after the first Roto into Afghanistan.

How so?

I was never qualified HA, HB, HF etc so that is why I am out of my lane. Basically, as I saw the issue on the fringes, the Sappers using explosives in the Afghan hills were pretty proficient and the Ammo tech world began to work with the Engrs in a more congenial fashion than in the 1990's time frame.

During the 90's it seemed to me getting the required training was hit and miss and when the CF had to compete in FTXs with the US, for instance, we were at a significant disadvantage with the USAF CE organizations.

I'm not sure I'm following you. Is your comment about explosives about the Slesse incident or that the branch let the EOD skillsets slide in the '90's?

I will 100% agree that the RCE got back on board the EOD train full time after 2002's first foray into Afghanistan, but I would be hesitatant to say that things did not get sorted in the Engr world WRT explosives until that time. I can recall in the late '90's a large push was on to reduce the amount of "extra" safety we were placing on ourselves during explosive tasks that resulted out of the Slesse incident which had introduced a culture of fear of the explosives for the junior members of the trade. Respect the explosives and handle them appropriately, yes. Handle them like you're afraid of them and base the conduct of your continuation and proficiency trg around the 1% chance "something" might happen,  come on  ::)

FWIW, common sense prevailed in about 2004-ish when the powers that be decided the BMD / CMD trg all RegF Cbt Engr NCMs were doing as part of our core trg equated the old HA qualification after completion of the Sect 2IC course. Officers still have to do the CMD(B) (the old HA) course separately from their core training.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

So from what I've gathered, 45B was what would translate to a Ph 4 qualified Engr and 45C was the precursor to the CE trade

Capt Happy, we recall things the same way. I don't think the EOD skill set tailed off, it just was too restrictive on the safety aspects, especially in the field environment, as you pointed out.  Of course as time goes on, things continue to evolve. After all the Federal Dept of Agriculture no longer gives instructions on how to use fertilizer in 5 gallon pails to blow holes for water dugouts.  ;D

Back