• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Oh sure, make me think why don‘t you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

army

Inactive
Reaction score
Oh sure, make me think why don‘t you!

Posted by Michael A. Dorosh from Canada on April 22, 1999 at 21:20:36:

In Reply to: Leadership - A Great Topic... posted by Rob Clarke on April 22, 1999 at 14:21:35:

Well, as extreme as the reaction was to the guy who didn‘t use "general" in his post here, I must say, I do agree with everything you said in your last post. The growing problem of "bending the rules" is getting worse, and it seems to some that the guys at the top are just not setting the example. Prince John paying a maid for his private quarters out of army money, that kind of thing. You‘re right, it has to stop somewhere. And better the right attitudes soak in when you‘re a private/2nd Lt, cause by the time you‘re a Sgt or Captain, it‘s too late.

How to deal with transgressors? Well, the punishment should fit the crime, in an ideal world. I must admit, I get irked when I see privates speaking to CSMs without coming to attention and the CSM doesn‘t say anything. Call me old fashioned, but it‘s a sign of respect. When my sergeant takes me someplace secluded to talk to me, I brace up until he invites me to stand easy. Doesn‘t matter what the talk is about, he‘s my boss. When an officer invites me into his office, I don‘t sit down but wait to be offered a chair. But it seems like the little respectful details like that are going the way of the dodo.

I may sound hippocritical, having said what I did about the comments to the private about not posting the general‘s rank, but I consider that a whole other area.

You have to look at the causes of transgression, too. If it‘s ignorance, the problem is easily fixed. Inform the soldier what he is doing wrong, and make sure he understands WHY we do things. Basic training crams a lot of stuff in, and sometimes the WHY is missed. Everything we do, we do for a reason. Sometimes all the WHYs can‘t be absorbed by a new recruit all at once. A little leniency and patience goes a long way there.

If transgression is purposeful, then you have a discipline issue. Verbal warning/written warning/charge/fine/jail/discharge seems to be the standard approach.

So give me a f‘r instance. I don‘t think I answered your question about rule bending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back