• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OFP timelines for CANSOF

Pathloser

Inactive
Reaction score
I knew there was something I forgot to ask the PSO, so before I try to get a hold of them maybe somebody on here can help me out. I did selection for one of the units while I was a reservist which required me to change my trade and a component transfer to the regular force. Unfortunately I didn't quite make it to the end of my course, and spent some time floating around the BTL as an untrained operator. I have since changed trades again and am going through the training pipeline for that. I am considering doing selection for a different unit in a year or two but I have been told that I am required to serve 3 years in this new trade after I reach my occupational functional point. I have two years left on my contract before I need to either resign or move on with my life outside of the military. Does anybody know if this 3 years is waived after a successful selection, or is the 3 years firm?

I have since changed trades again and am going through the training pipeline for that.

This is the important bit, are you untrained or have you reached OFP in your current trade? If you've reached your OFP in your current trade, and are looking to apply to another then you're bound to whatever TOS you agreed to upon entering your current trade. Sounds like they have a 3 year restricted release because they want their money out of you, very normal. If you're perhaps on your QL3 for that trade, then you're considered untrained, and you do not fall under the same restrictions as someone who's reached OFP.

Assuming you reached OFP, the 3 years will not be waived. This used to be possible for SOA as it was special employment, but as it's an OT now just like CBRN/SF Op, you need to meet all of the requirements as laid out in the AVOT CANFORGEN for all.

Sounds like you need to reach out to the PSO and get clarification. It's your career, if it takes multiple appointments to get your answers then do what it takes. Be advised though, PSO's treat all applications steps like job interviews, and being disorganized can weigh against you. They're the ones recommending you after all.

Got it thanks. I will not reach OFP until sometime in November for my current trade. So sounds like I should submit my NOI sooner rather than later. SOA must have become an OT pretty recently then, I was not aware of that. Thanks for the info

Last edited:
You're probably SOL then. The VOT-U CANFORGEN typically drops same time of year as the others, and right in the CANFORGEN it states that an applicant shall not be removed from trg until they accept an offer. For any OT application this year, an offer would not arrive until spring 2022. The only thing I think that has the pull here is going back to the unit you nearly finished course with. If the recommendation wasn't a compulsory OT, that may be an option, reach out to them. NOI's to another unit will not put a pause on trades training, I genuinely don't think you have an out on this one. As always, seek real advice from a PSO.

I guess worst case it adds 1 extra year to the timeline. That will put me at 30, so no spring chicken but I think I will still have enough gas in the tank to be competitive. At least I will have wisdom on my side lol.
Thanks for the info, I'll take your advice to confirm.

Back