• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officers…only desk jobs?

Eye In The Sky said:
A good plan.  As most of us (well at least I did) will have to Google "minions", but we will only get results for mini onions.  If only we would have listened to the teacher we would be more better learned to spell!  :'(

Or you can rent Despicable Me.    >:D

Thanks everyone for your comments. I like the fact how everyone is so helpful in the CAF with the rookie questions we (applicants) have.

Michael O’Leary, I really appreciate your breakdown of the answers to each of my questions…great to have an officer’s PoV.

mkil, wow…that’s impressive that you have three degrees! You sure are a good example of someone who took the NCM route given both options.

RoyalDrew, thanks for all your input and the link to the CP video…really interesting. I sent you a PM back.

Pusser, thanks for your input. Like how you said, “sometimes that Army officer's desk is a folding table in a forward operating base in a combat zone, that Naval officer's desk is bolted to the deck of frigate in the middle of the ocean, or that Air Force officer's desk is decoratively placed against the wall at the Holiday Inn.” Not the typical 9-5 cubicle environment I imagine on the civvy street.

Both routes seem to have their pros and cons as it applies to my unique dilemma. I am giving CFA a serious thought and most likely will set up an appointment with a recruiter and apply online. I am at the state right now where one moment I feel like sending in the application, and the next moment, I retract! Same with choosing between NCM vs. Officer – it’s alternating every other moment.

RoyalDrew said:
I feel like people have this idea that officers just tell their subordinates to go out and do the work while we sit back and slam cavier and shiraz.

You've seen me in action, have you?

Marchog said:
That's a cute story but unfortunately I'm pretty sure "sir" comes from the Old French "sieur" (Lord).  ;D

To add to the discussion this is why I'm initially applying for an NCM position. I'll have all the time in the world to sit in an office when I'm older and more decrepit.

Wait a second here... You really needed to correct me because you thought I was serious?  I guess I need to work on my delivery.

Infanteer said:

I've been watching you off and on since 2007, and I have yet to see many signs of "action".... >:D

PPCLI Guy said:
I've been watching you off and on since 2007, and I have yet to see many signs of "action".... >:D
Oh, feel the burn.  :evil:

Infanteer said:

Shouldn't that be "inaction"?

Then again, I do remember a certain subbie taking a Colonel's beer...

mkil said:
That's the crappy part about internet writing; very hard to convey tone. Education does not give me a rank; it give me choice. And I actively chose to be an NCM. I totally agree with you about no such thing as wasted education, but every month when my $600 student loan comes out, I kind of kick myself in the rear for not doing this when I was 18 instead of paying all that money for education which may or may not be of direct use to me in the future. I wish that instead of spending 7 years in university, that I spent that time in the forces, doing the job I do now. And please, there is no need for the condescending tone. I know how difficult it is to commission, so there is no bubble to be burst.

I apologize if I sounded condescending.  I didn't really mean to be, but as you said, it can be difficult to convey tone in writing sometimes.  My concern though was that I have seen many young hopefuls assert that since they have a degree, they "know" they can be officers and as both I and many others on this forum have said, it's really not that simple.  I especially cringe whenever I hear someone (usually a senior NCO or warrant officer) referring to "taking my" commission.  One can apply for commissioning, but they are not for the taking.  They are granted by Her Majesty and must be earned (although I will admit that whether all officers actually "earn" their commissions is sometimes doubtful or at least puzzling  ;D).

Wait a second here... You really needed to correct me because you thought I was serious?  I guess I need to work on my delivery.
On the internet, you can never really tell.

I'm a junior officer in the reserves. I'll give you my experience.

I've been in the field with the guys, we do similar tasks lots of times where I can pitch in. I do the PWTs just like the gunners. Pitch tents, lights stoves, handle weapons, patrol etc. BUT-

Last weekend while they did their mortar course I did UER paperwork. They asked if I'd prefer to sit in on the course but it's important that PERs and UERs get done so they, the NCMs, are getting the support they need.

You have paper responsibilities. I have found, limited in my experience as an officer, that it's a good mix. But it is different.

Every officer has different experience. Quite literally. I was pres.  I am regs.  I'm at a desk today.  Yup a tour...at a desk.  Great friends have more field time.  Other friends have never deployed on tour.  There's no one course or path.  No debate here.  Normal career path isn't normal. 

Thanks goose....li get eloquent once in a while.

ajp said:
Every officer has different experience. Quite literally. I was pres.  I am regs.  I'm at a desk today.  Yup a tour...at a desk.  Great friends have more field time.  Other friends have never deployed on tour.  There's no one course or path.  No debate here.  Normal career path isn't normal.

In the last 30 months, I have taken my desk to Central America, West- East and Central Africa (I’m there now)…a total of 8 taskings in Africa alone.  In addition, multiple taskings to various Eastern European countries and finally various countries in Central Asia ending with Stan and Jan as far as the border with China.  Add to that related trips to Europe and the US - I have filled two passports moving that desk. 

Departing for Canada today, I will be in Canada probably less than two weeks before I deploy again….this trip has been three weeks, the next will be for a month.

Deducting basic and time spent posted to schools – some 10 years of my 36 years (all Reg Force)…the rest of my time has been in operational units. 

As someone said, “mileage varies.”

Thanks everyone for your valuable input! All of you have definitely motivated me and I've applied last week for Signals Officer position. I think I am lucky cause I heard back from the virtual recruitment centre in only two days to book my CFAT! I believe this has to be some kind of a record. Worth mentioning here that I had been trying to get in touch with Toronto recruiting centre for five days straight prior to that...unsuccessfully! The phone keeps ringing and ringing, but no one EVER picks it up! It will definitely be a challenge booking my CFAT, or get any other questions answered for that matter.

Thanks again.

Back