• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer Dev Period 3 (JCSP) changes

Harris

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This just in.  Will probably enable a few more Reservisits to actually complete the course:

1. A NEEDS ANALYSIS OF SENIOR OFFICER EDUCATION WAS RECENTLY COMPLETED FOR DEVELOPMENTAL PERIODS (DP)3 AND DP4. THE AIM OF THE ANALYSIS WAS TO DETERMINE IF CURRENT PROGRAMMES IN BOTH DPS ARE MEETING THE NEEDS OF THE CF. THE RESULTS OF THE ANALYSIS WITH RECOMMENDATIONS WERE BRIEFED AND APPROVED BY AFC.

2. FIRSTLY, IN GENERAL TERMS, IT WAS SHOWN THAT THE CURRENT JOINT COMMAND AND STAFF PROGRAMME (JCSP) HAS THREE CORE CURRICULUM THEMES WHICH REMAIN RELEVANT FOR THE CF OF TODAY: A. COMMAND AND LEADERSHIP (CL) B. SECURITY AND INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS (SIA) C. MILITARY PLANNING AND OPERATIONS (MPO)

3. TO THAT END, IT WAS DIRECTED THAT THESE THREE CORE CURRICULUM THEMES WILL CONTINUE TO BE THE MAINSTAY OF THE JCSP FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.

4. NEXT, IT WAS SHOWN THAT THE CURRENT JCSP PROVIDES INSUFFICIENT OFFICERS AT THE MAJ/LCDR RANK TO MEET RANK REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CF. AFC DIRECTED THAT THE THROUGHPUT OF OFFICERS BE INCREASED FOR DP3 TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE CF.

5. TO THAT END, AN ADDITIONAL SYNDICATE (9 CDN AND 2 FOREIGN STUDENTS) WILL BE ADDED TO JCSP BEGINNING WITH SERIAL 35 IN SEP 08, FOR A TOTAL OF 132 STUDENTS. ADDITIONAL STUDENTS COULD BE ADDED IN SUBSEQUENT YEARS TO BRING THE TOTAL TO 156 STUDENTS PER PROGRAMME. AS WELL, A DISTANCE LEARNING (DL) VERSION OF THE JCSP WILL BE IMPLEMENTED IN SEP 08. THIS PROGRAMME WILL BE CONDUCTED OVER A TWO-YEAR PERIOD AND WILL BE EQUAL TO THE JCSP IN CONTENT AND ASSESSMENT SO THAT GRADUATES WILL RECEIVE THE JCSP NATIONAL QUAL (AJGM). IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT AS PART OF THE DL PROGRAMME, THERE ARE CURRENTLY TWO RESIDENTIAL PHASES: ONE IN THE FALL AT THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE PROGRAMME AND A SECOND OF APPROXIMATELY TWO WEEKS IN JULY AT THE END OF THE FIRST YEAR. SOME ADDITIONAL RESIDENTIAL PERIODS MAY OCCUR DURING THE SECOND YEAR.

6. COURSE LOADING FOR THE PILOT JCSP (DL) SERIAL WILL BE 110 OFFICERS COMPRISED OF 50 REGF AND 60 PRES - CDN AND FOREIGN. REGF OFFICERS FOR THE PILOT SERIAL WILL BE SELECTED IN THE SAME WAY AS STUDENTS FOR THE EXISTING RESIDENTIAL PROGRAMME ARE SELECTED. PRES OFFICERS WILL BE IDENTIFIED USING THE SAME PROCESS THAT HAS BEEN APPLIED TO THE JRCSP. THE SELECTION PROCESS OF REGF OFFICERS FOR STEADY STATE JCSP(DL) SERIALS WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT A LATER DATE

7. YEAR ONE OF THE JCSP(DL) WILL BE BUILT UPON THE EXISTING JOINT RESERVE COMMAND AND STAFF PROGRAMME (JRCSP)SERIAL. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THE CURRENT JOINT RESERVE COMMAND AND STAFF PROGRAMME JRCSP CONTAINS ELEMENTS OF CL AND MPO (INCLUDING ONE EXERCISE), BUT NO SIA ACTIVITIES. THE JCSP(DL) WILL ADD SIA ACTIVITIES AND ENRICH THE MPO CURRICULUM TO PRODUCE A GRADUATE WITH AN INCREASED COMPETENCY IN CAMPAIGN PLANNING. THESE WILL BE BUILT INTO YEAR TWO OF THE PILOT

8. PRIMARY RESERVES (PRES) OFFICERS WILL HAVE THE OPTION DURING THE PILOT SERIAL OF COMPLETING JUST THE FIRST YEAR OF THE PROGRAMME. DURING YEAR ONE, PRES OFFICERS WILL HAVE TO CONFIRM THEIR INTENTION TO COMPLETE YEAR TWO. FOR THE TIME BEING, PRES OFFICERS CHOOSING NOT TO COMPLETE YEAR TWO, BUT SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETING YEAR ONE, WILL BE GRANTED THE FORMER JRCSP QUALIFICATION (AJGN) IN RECOGNITION OF THE WORK COMPLETED DURING YEAR ONE. FOR PRES OFFICERS WISHING TO COMPLETE YEAR TWO OF THE JCSP(DL) AT A LATER DATE, ELIGIBILITY WILL BE CONFIRMED BY CFC ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS AND WILL DEPEND ON THE CURRENCY OF THE STUDENT S QUALIFICATION AND THE SCOPE OF THE CHANGES THAT HAVE OCCURRED TO THE PROGRAMME DURING INTERVENING YEARS.

9. THE OPTION OF COMPLETING A MASTER OF DEFENCE STUDIES (MDS) WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE TO JCSP (DL) STUDENTS MEETING THE UNDERGRAD DEGREE REQUIREMENTS, I.E., A FOUR YEAR DEGREE WITH A MINIMUM B- AVERAGE. COMPLETION OF THE MDS REQUIRES 10 CREDITS, 4 CREDITS FOR EACH YEAR OF COURSE WORK AND 2 CREDITS FOR A RESEARCH PAPER TO BE COMPLETED DURING YEAR TWO

10. LASTLY, THE JCSP QUALIFICATION CAN BE ACHIEVED THROUGH COMPLETION OF AN EQUIVALENT RESIDENTIAL OR DL VERSION OF A FOREIGN COMMAND AND STAFF PROGRAMME. AT PRESENT THE US ARMY, AIR FORCE AND MARINE CORPS OFFER DL PROGRAMMES EQUIVALENT TO THE JCSP

11. THE REVISIONS TO OFFICER DP3 WILL ENSURE THAT A LARGER CADRE OF REGF OFFICERS ATTAIN THE JOINT COMMAND AND STAFF PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE CF IN THE FUTURE SECURITY ENVIRONMENT. THE CDA HQ DESK OFFICER FOR CFC DP3 PROGRAMMES IS LCDR HENDERSON, WHO CAN BE CONTACTED AT CSN 271-8459 12. SIGNED BY MGEN W. SEMIANIW, CMP

Here's a silly question:  Why would RMC refuse to grant a master's degree to someone without a Baccalaureate if they are able to complete the full course of study (para 9 refers)?  Or what of the poor soul who graduated with a C+; again, denied the opportunity to complete an MA.

dapaterson said:
Here's a silly question:  Why would RMC refuse to grant a master's degree to someone without a Baccalaureate if they are able to complete the full course of study (para 9 refers)?  Or what of the poor soul who graduated with a C+; again, denied the opportunity to complete an MA.
I haven't the foggiest what constitutes a letter grade for my Bachelor's: the grades were all numerical (I went to UWO).
As for no MA if not BA, I believe that the former is a prerequisite to be awarded the latter in any event (eg: you can't get to graduate school without having first completed undergrad, no?)

It is the usual progression, but it is not unheard of to have a MA with no BA.  I think Athabaskan offers an MBA where you can be admitted without a BA, should you have support from references.  However, that's a bit "outside the box", not a term I'd associate with the limestone albatross in Kingston...

dapaterson said:
Here's a silly question:  Why would RMC refuse to grant a master's degree to someone without a Baccalaureate if they are able to complete the full course of study (para 9 refers)? 
Academic elitism. 

dapaterson said:
It is the usual progression, but it is not unheard of to have a MA with no BA.  I think Athabaskan offers an MBA where you can be admitted without a BA, should you have support from references.  However, that's a bit "outside the box", not a term I'd associate with the limestone albatross in Kingston...
I didn't know that you could get an Masters without Bachelors.  Of course, this albatross is in Toronto, no? ;D

PS: Just learned that B- is 70%.  Given that for my Honors (at Western) I needed a 70% average, with no grade below 60, I qualify!  W00t!
Now to convince the powers-that-be that I should go for my DP 3 (yeah, right.  That'll happen when the Leafs win the cup!)

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
I didn't know that you could get an Masters without Bachelors.  Of course, this albatross is in Toronto, no? ;D

PS: Just learned that B- is 70%.  Given that for my Honors (at Western) I needed a 70% average, with no grade below 60, I qualify!  W00t!
Now to convince the powers-that-be that I should go for my DP 3 (yeah, right.  That'll happen when the Leafs win the cup!)

All degrees issued carry the RMC seal, as it's the CF's only accredited university. (Why the CF needs an accredited university is another question for another thread).

As for you on DP3:  I'd say that's much more likely than the Leafs winning the cup.  But then, that's not saying much...

Am I reading this right?  Reserve Officers have the opportunity to train as Pilots in the CF??  I thought only ex-CF pilots (or highly skilled civvie pilots) could join the Reserve officer ranks as Pilots.

J

Shoot me - I'm such a fool!  I re-read the document - Pilot, referring to "test" program and not CF Pilot flying aircraft...I need to stop reading this stuff at work (I have to rush through things).

J

Back