• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OCdt Speaks at Freedom Rally

Two quick questions for the legal beagles here.
One, will the Court Martial be open to the public? And two,can I bring popcorn ?
Quite frankly if it is opened to the public unless there has been some sort of change in the general attitude of these folk. It will be a a gong show.
Decorum inside or outside of the courtroom hasn't been their strong point.

One, will the Court Martial be open to the public? And two,can I bring popcorn ?
Quite frankly if it is opened to the public unless there has been some sort of change in the general attitude of these folk. It will be a a gong show.
It should be open to the public. That is the default setting for Court Martials.

You MAY NOT bring popcorn unless you have enough for the judge. He might want some too.

My apologies I assumed the gender of the judge. Woe is me…🤦‍♂️

I thought the CM was in Borden, not Edmonton? :LOL:

That will be worth watching. Do they stream courts martial now?
No, but they should

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Notice: Members of the public wishing to attend this judicial proceeding are requested to send an email, if possible at least 72 hours before the start of the judicial proceeding, at +CMA-ACM@CMJ@Ottawa-Hull or DND.CMA-ACM.MDN@forces.gc.ca, to indicate their desire to attend this hearing. The person responsible for access to this legal proceeding will then provide, by e-mail, the particulars related to the method of attendance. IMPORTANT: It is strictly forbidden to record legal proceedings without the express permission of the presiding military judge.

I just read that the encouraging mutiny charge was withdrawn, scandalous conduct was stayed, and he took a plea deal to conduct prejudicial. Pretty predictable result.

I just read that the encouraging mutiny charge was withdrawn, scandalous conduct was stayed, and he took a plea deal to conduct prejudicial. Pretty predictable result.

Prosecution and defence agreed on asking for $4,200 fine and severe reprimand.

Besner and Gélinas-Proulx nonetheless agreed in asking that Pelletier sentence Kenderesi to a severe reprimand and $4,200 fine. They added the officer cadet has already served 80 hours of community service.

Pelletier appeared to acknowledge the precedent that his ruling would set for future cases, calling it unique due to the context of the pandemic as well as the public nature of the officer cadet’s comments.

Prosecution and defence agreed on asking for $4,200 fine and severe reprimand.

That's a pretty good outcome IMHO. Well done the legal system!

I'm pretty upset with it, he won't see any jail time and won't be released. How is this supposed to deter other people from doing the same thing?
I fully expect he’ll be released administratively, as opposed to being bounced out as a sentence. Plus he’s COATS and wasn’t even active for a while. Not like he was actually anything close to a soldier.

$4200 isn’t a cheap tab either.

I fully expect he’ll be released administratively, as opposed to being bounced out as a sentence. Plus he’s COATS and wasn’t even active for a while. Not like he was actually anything close to a soldier.

$4200 isn’t a cheap tab either.
So the reprimand will be essentially useless. I'm sure some of the anti-vax crowd will find a way to contribute to paying that fine.

So he's going to be administratively released out of the public eye? Would he have received this same sentence if he had been an NCM or in a different role?

I'm pretty upset with it, he won't see any jail time and won't be released. How is this supposed to deter other people from doing the same thing?
So the reprimand will be essentially useless. I'm sure some of the anti-vax crowd will find a way to contribute to paying that fine.

So he's going to be administratively released out of the public eye? Would he have received this same sentence if he had been an NCM or in a different role?
I think that this punishment was appropriate because of the scope and context of his "mutinous" activity.

I believe that there would have been very VERY few people in uniform would could possibly have listened to/watched him and been motivated to actually act mutinously. He deportment and demeanor screamed "don't take this guy seriously", even if you agreed with his underlying premise. So, the threat of actual mutinous activity as a result was never serious.

I’m sure the sentence adequately reflects his relevance to the institution as a whole. Don’t forget, he was not convicted or sentenced for mutiny; the charge related to that was withdrawn. He was convicted for conduct prejudicial and he ate quite a mouthful of shit for that offence. Sentencing must be based only on the offence(s) for which someone is convicted; not anything of which they were merely accused.

If a CAF member who was actually in a position to be taken seriously encouraged mutiny, and if that offence was prosecuted and convicted, I’m sure we’d see a fit sentence.

Back