• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OBUA in the CF

Spooks

Inactive
Reaction score
Boy is it fun. Though we had to go to Ft. Lewis, WA to do it, it still kicked ass. For anyone in LFWA if you have a chance to goto Ft. Lewis or to train in "Leschitown" do it right away as you will not only be amazed at the size of the complex area but you will learn more in four days than you could learn maybe in four monthes anwhere else.

We did well there and showed to the highers that indeed we can adapt to anything thrown at us in a quick manner.

-Spooks

Great stuff Spooks. Have any of our posters tried out the new modular FIBUA building sets that were developed in LFCA? I saw a brichure on this system just before I deployed. We were thinking about getting some for our Bde units to train with. What do folks think of it?
Cheers.

PBI, the modular sytem has recieved mixed reviews. It is cumbersome to set up, and requires two sea cans to move, so it is not terribly mobile.  Having said that, , for SG 04 I had two more built, so each of the CBGs now have one.  We wrote an LFCAD that allows units to fire simunition inside the Armoury, so it is possible to get in some good basic skills and drills training on a Thursady night.  As to the wider OBUA facility problem, I have probably already talked on this forum of the site in Pet.  16 buildings, with 3 more in a hamlet under construction.  Overall, a pretty good site - and the largest in Canada.  What we need now is a kill house...

Dave

I thought the mock city in Pet was nice. What are these modular systems you talk about?

MikeM said:
I thought the mock city in Pet was nice. What are these modular systems you talk about?

I am talking about the area where you did rehearsals for the OBUA attack - the plywood panels.  I do not know where 32 CBG plans to put theirs up - one would hop ein the GTA somewhere...

CFL said:
Not another acronym.   What the heck does this one mean now?

OBUA-Operations in Built Up Areas
FIBUA-Fighting in Built Up Areas
FISH-Fighting In Someones House

PPCLI Guy: Thanks for that info. The brochure (of course...) was more positive. We had toyed with the idea of three; one for each of our multi-unit garrisons at Regina, Wpg and TBay. What is the approximate cost of a set, not incl seacan? Also, how easy is it for the Res CBGs in LFCA to get SIMUNITION? We have used MILES quite regularly in 38 CBG  but I have yet to see SIMUNITION used. Cheers.

Other Dave

pbi said:
PPCLI Guy: Thanks for that info. The brochure (of course...) was more positive. We had toyed with the idea of three; one for each of our multi-unit garrisons at Regina, Wpg and TBay. What is the approximate cost of a set, not incl seacan?

IIRC around 25K per set

Also, how easy is it for the Res CBGs in LFCA to get SIMUNITION? We have used MILES quite regularly in 38 CBG  but I have yet to see SIMUNITION used.

The ammo isn't the problem - it is the kit.  LFCA bought 400 sets of its own, so we are looked after  ;)  Once you get the kit, you can always use O&M to by the ammo - PM me and I will tell you how to get around the PWGSC problem etc.

P.S. You will only get away with it once, so buy lots!...

Other Dave

Other other Dave

2VP plans on making there own kill house with changing rooms etc based on the designs of a member of the JTF 2.   It will probabley only be big enough for 1 to 2 sections but I guess its better then nothing.

Ahh yes the plywood practice area, how could I forget.

They didn't seem all that modular.. looked like they were a bitch to setup quite frankly. The area we were in with them was poorly setup too, the walls were almost falling over.

It was fairly good practice for stacking and practicing entries though.

ToRN said:
lol, where'd you get that one from??

a guy in my unit says we should just call it that every time we herer a diferent abreveation for it, obua, fibu, mout. 

i was on SW, but i never used the mock ups, saw them, got a lecure right beside them, i think we ran outa time, and had to go back to doing nothing in our biv site.

MikeM said:
Ahh yes the plywood practice area, how could I forget.

They didn't seem all that modular.. looked like they were a ***** to setup quite frankly. The area we were in with them was poorly setup too, the walls were almost falling over.

I don't know abouting setting them up, but they sure were a bitch to take down.  Man.  My platoon had the job of taking one down after SG and then, right after we had them in a nice pile, someone came along and told us to change the piles into something like 10 walls, 1 in window and 1 mousehole.  After that, we then had to go 100 meters away, and pick up about 75-80 boards alreayd in piles, and move THEM over to the FIRSt pile.  Trust me, there not THAT modular.

Rumor has it that CMTC is planning for one in LFWATC a large kill house for live possibly similar in design to the american ones. Problems with it though is climate as the ones in Lewis aren't subjected to the -40C winters of wainwright. So being that they're just thinking of it, maybe I'll be an RSM by the time it's completely built.

-Spooks

Back