• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New toy at the DC school

Navy_Blue

Inactive
Reaction score
Had to opportunity to try out a new toy today at lunch.  The DC school is looking at the IFEX3000 impulse fire extinguisher.  It was very cool and seems like it could be very effective.  It would run off a back pack (fitted with MSA bottle) or in the case of a Sub could run off and EBS rail.  They were saying the Germans were putting 3 on they're subs.  It has the kick of a 12 gage and uses next to no water.  They said they tried it at the HRM's fire school and it was very impressive (the Propain at the DC was not a realistic test). 

http://www.ifex3000.nl/

I always love new toys  ;D

:cdn:

That is one very cool looking toy!  What is the cost of something like that going to be?  And I guess there is no sense in getting it for the school (other then demonstration) until the ships actually have it to use? 

Gone are the good ole days with the 5 man attack teams with high and low velocity nozzles!!  One of the things I miss most from my Navy days is playing with fire.

unofficially it was not really expensive for safety equipment which is normally pricey.  I'm not sure of the exact amount so I wont say.  The one thing for us would be the requirement to use a BA on our back.   But as far as ship board it could be very effective in many situations...including force protection  :warstory:  Its a super soaker on speed basically.

Navy_Blue said:
...including force protection.  Its a super soaker on speed basically.

Much easier then rigging the fire hoses on the focsle, more practical too!  I wanna play  :crybaby:

That is a interesting piece of kit.  You never know it may just be adopted one day by the Fleet.  But first of all it will have to go through so  many friggin hoops and survive the bean counters in Ottawa to make the final cut.  For example, the new DC helmets were not the ones requested/reccomended by the DC School staff.  The present ones were of course cheaper, and sadly less effective in the grand scheme of things.  And yes, I will freely admit they are a damn sight better than the construction helmets they replaced, but still.....
Of course the folks who make the decisions and pull the strings (purse and otherwise) are not the people who have to use and live with the gear at the end of the day.  If they were, things might be different in the procurement world.

Tried it last week during DCOTT, agree, pretty neat, but it'll be quite a shift in the way a ship responds to things internally...we would not see it until after we changeover to SCBA's at a minimum.

NS

Thats a nice piece of kit, I can't wait to see my kids use it in 18 years on the Trumped Trumps!

jollyjacktar said:
That is a interesting piece of kit.  You never know it may just be adopted one day by the Fleet.  But first of all it will have to go through so  many friggin hoops and survive the bean counters in Ottawa to make the final cut.  For example, the new DC helmets were not the ones requested/reccomended by the DC School staff.  The present ones were of course cheaper, and sadly less effective in the grand scheme of things.  And yes, I will freely admit they are a damn sight better than the construction helmets they replaced, but still.....
Of course the folks who make the decisions and pull the strings (purse and otherwise) are not the people who have to use and live with the gear at the end of the day.  If they were, things might be different in the procurement world.

You sound pretty informed on what the Navy needs and how to get it.  Talk to your career manager in January and ask for a posting to LSTL as an LCMM.  After your there for a year, feel free to report back on your sucess in changing PWGSC rules in procurement.

Back