• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Med Tech Training

mls617

Inactive
Reaction score
I’m looking to switch from Reg F Firefighter to Res F Med Tech.
I’ve been told the QL3 for med tech doesn’t include PCP anymore and is much shorter. I’ve also been told going through QL3 for reservists is different than doing it as a Reg F.
Can anyone tell me how long I can expect to be in Borden with the new QL3 as a reservist?
Also does anyone know if the emergency medical responder course will PLAR and get me out of some of the QL3?
Thanks!

PCP is still a requirement for all med techs. Reserve force medics without PCP are considered med A's and have a reduced scope of practice. There have been some res f mbrs who have taken the reg force pcp course but this is rare.
Emr will likely not be plar'd for any credit

I hate reviving old threads, but CFHS Support isn't a very active board and I'd like this information here if anyone else has queries.

Reserve Medical Technicians are not eligible to do the QL3. Part of the training for QL3 is PCP for both Regular Force and Reserve Force.

Regular Force Medical Technician (NQual ALGE) basic occupational training is broken up as:
  • BMQ
  • RQ Med Tech Pte Mod 1 (Clinical)
  • RQ Med Tech Pte Mod 2 (Emergent Care/PCP)
  • RQ Med Tech Pte Mod 3 (Military Casualty Care)
Reserve Force Medical Technician (NQual ALGE) basic occupational training is broken up as:
  • BMQ
  • Med A QL3 (AKMI)
  • Med A QL4 (AKMJ)
  • Med A GAP Training
  • QL3 Med Tech Ticket - Protocols and Procedures
  • RQ Med Tech Pte Mod 2 (Emergent Care/PCP)
A Reservist must already have PCP to become a Medical Technician.

Without PCP a Reservist can become a Medical Assistant

Reserve Force Medical Assistant (NQual ALGE) basic occupational training is broken up as:
  • BMQ
  • Med A QL3 (AKMI)
Once a Reservist Medical Assistant completes their Med A QL4 package there is a paid initiative currently in place for them to complete PCP training to do a VOT to Medical Technician.

The EMR might be eligible for a PLAR (depending on where the training was done) for the Med A QL3 Mod 2 for both ResF Med Tech and ResF MedA.

This information is accurate as of 21-August-2023; please note that Med A & Med Tech are currently going through an occupational restructure.

A Reservist must already have PCP to become a Medical Technician.

As far as off-duty Ontario paramedics moonlighting as reservists, this section of Ontario law applies to them,

R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER A.19
Holding out
No person other than a paramedic acting in the course of or in relation to his or her duties as a paramedic for an ambulance service shall hold himself or herself out as a paramedic. 2017, c.25, Sched. 1, s, 6.

When a Paramedic is hired by a special event agency that is not contracted through a licensed ambulance service, they are providing independent service contract (volunteer or paid it does not matter) and are not covered by the Medical Director of their Base Hospital to provide controlled acts.

IN ALL INSTANCES WHILE OFF DUTY A PARAMEDIC MAY NOT PERFORM CONTROLLED ACTS AND WILL HAVE NO AUTHORITY TO UTILIZE THEIR ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT SKILLS OR EQUIPMENT.

"As far as off-duty Ontario paramedics moonlighting as reservists, this section of Ontario law applies to them,

Holding out
20.0.1"

No, it doesn't. The CF is its own health authority, and a civi paramedic working in a Reserve capacity would be able to practice at the scope defined by the CF. Provincial statutes tend not to be enforceable when applied to federal circumstances.

"As far as off-duty Ontario paramedics moonlighting as reservists, this section of Ontario law applies to them,

Holding out
20.0.1"

No, it doesn't. The CF is its own health authority, and a civi paramedic working in a Reserve capacity would be able to practice at the scope defined by the CF. Provincial statutes tend not to be enforceable when applied to federal circumstances.

I don't know what province you are in, or if you are a licenced paramedic.

If you are a licenced paramedic in Ontario, you can argue that with your Base Hospital Medical Director.

Base Hospital makes it clear that off-duty Ontario paramedics are not covered by the licence of their Medical Director.

No disrespect to the opinions of strangers on the internet.

But, this was our career. Militia was our hobby.

I don't know what province you are in, or if you are a licenced paramedic.

If you are a licenced paramedic in Ontario, you can argue that with your Base Hospital Medical Director.

Base Hospital makes it clear that off-duty Ontario paramedics are not covered by the licence of their Medical Director.
I did not say that they were covered by the licence of their Medical Director. I explicitly stated that they would be under the scope of the RCMS.

As far as off-duty Ontario paramedics moonlighting as reservists, this section of Ontario law applies to them,

Holding out

Deja vu all over again. I think I've seen this same argument discussion (or something verging on the same - maybe a couple of times) before on these means.

I recognize (and understand) your cleaving to the rigidity of the Ontario acts and regulations pertaining to "paramedics". Having standards and maintaining them (both in law and actuality) is important. But as @ModlrMike pointed out, provincial regulations do not always apply to the activities of federal organizations, though the standard practice is to adhere to them to the greatest extent possible as long as it is practicable.

In your example of Ontario paramedics "moonlighting" as reservists, there a few inconsistencies. To begin with, those "paramedics" are not moonlighting as "paramedics" in the reserves; they are "Medical Technicians". They do not "hold themselves out as paramedics" (or they shouldn't). In the rare instances that any Class A reserve Med Tech (or Class B, in many cases) provides any medical care, it is unlikely that the patient would be a Ontario civilian. And in those instances when RCMS personnel do provide health services to civilians (such as during the recent pandemic), the scope of practice of Reserve Med Techs (and Med As) would be regulated in the same manner as Regular Force Med Techs. While both are outside the purview of provincial licensing bodies (save for those military occupations that require licensing - Med Techs don't), the oversight and delegation of controlled acts to those trades (and it doesn't matter whether that care is provided to a military or civilian patient) are handled in much the same manner as for similar civilian trades.

In that deja vu moment, I posted a response in another thread that included a link to that "Med Tech Scope of Practice".

For those who (like me) have strong pedantic genes, first off there is no trade in the CAF called "combat medic", there are two medical branch trades Med Tech (for those who have been 'qualified' as PCPs) and Med A (a reserve only trade for those not PCP qualified); and secondly the "CPSO" is applicable only to Ontario. For clarity, "qualified" doesn't mean that there is a continuing need to maintain a license/registration in a Canadian jurisdiction, just that they had successfully completed a recognized training program that leads to registration as a PCP in a province or territory.

Now to your question.

Yes, no, maybe, maybe not, possibly, it depends, whatever, doesn't apply. Even if stationed in Ontario, military physicians can practice without being licensed in Ontario (same holds true for all the other provinces and territories). The caveat to that is they would not "normally" see civilian patients so their ability to work in a civilian hospital, moonlight at a doc in the box or making connections for their post-military second career is severely limited. But that doesn't mean the same practice of 'delegation of controlled acts' is not used for CAF Med Techs/Med As. In fact it is much more stringent and formalized than back in the day when I was 'practicing medicine' without a license.

Though the Med Tech Scope of Practice document included in this 2017 Request for Proposal (for Emergency Medical Advisory Services) is dated from 2014, in the similar solicitation that was posted last month the same Scope of Practice is referenced and linked (just not viewable as it is a .mil link). Go to page 29 of the following pdf to view MEDICAL TECHNICIAN QUALIFICATION LEVEL THREE - SCOPE OF PRACTICE, 28 MAY 2014 (the QL 5A follows). It should give you a better understanding of how the CAF delegates controlled acts to Med Techs.

When I wanted to work on days off, I volunteered for OT or Paid Duty.

That paid more than the militia was paying me to drive a truck.

PRes MSE Op paid the same as Med Tech.

More importantly, MSE Op kept my career licence beyond the reach of OBHG.

Disclaimer : Licenced Ontario paramedics should consult their Base Hospital Medical Director on this subject. Not the internet.

Back