• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

At Chilliwack in BOTC in the 1980s, I cannot recall the staff being overly concerned about hair length (meaning that everyone seemed to figure out the “acceptable” standard on their own). There was certainly no haircut parade.
I did driver support there several times, who knows I might have driven your platoon to the training areas. The Staff were fairly relaxed with the Officer Cadets, focusing on how well they could work as a team, leadership and problem solving.

I did driver support there several times, who knows I might have driven your platoon to the training areas. The Staff were fairly relaxed with the Officer Cadets, focusing on how well they could work as a team, leadership and problem solving.
That is what I recall. There were room and dress inspections every day we weren’t in the field, but I don’t recall them being terribly onerous.

That is what I recall. There were room and dress inspections every day we weren’t in the field, but I don’t recall them being terribly onerous.
I did BOTC five years after basic training. Compared to Cornwallis, it was a joke.

Suppose a soldier goes full send and pushes the new dress regs to the limits. All good. What do you suppose the punishment should be if another soldier were to see them and tell them they think they look absolutely ridiculous? Maybe even stupid.

Promote that person to MCpl, immediately, so they can continue to be tortured by the wierdos but get paid for the pleasure ;)

That seems fair. I wonder if we can be scolded for polite compliments.

You look very professional. I like what you did with your hair. Both things I've said to co-workers in the past. You're right about harassing behavior though of course.
Glass half empty:

You can no longer make fun of people who wear course t-shirts 20 years later

Glass half full:

I wanna see the look on someone's face when someone wears Jeans in the Petawawa Officer's Mess 🤣

Glass half empty:

You can no longer make fun of people who wear course t-shirts 20 years later
Course T-Shirts, CF garrison belts, gerbers, desert boots, I'll still take that harassment hit lol

Glass half full:

I wanna see the look on someone's face when someone wears Jeans in the Petawawa Officer's Mess 🤣
I have it on good authority the Petawawa officers mess continues to treat people who do them favors like shit. I'd imagine the no jeans rule is still sacrosanct.

I am one small cog in the (fast growing) wheel that wants to allow "tasteful" (not torn? acceptable for "casual Friday" in a brokerage firm? (I've seen that.)) jeans in the Ottawa Army Officers Mess all year round.

Right now they are allowed during the United Way campaign if you are wearing your "I donated" button - if they are OK then they are OK now.

(Parenthetically: I remember (1960s) when our first combat uniforms were issued. Most officers' messes declared them OK for coffee-break and lunch and for one drink after work, BUT in most units combat uniforms were NEVER worn as "dress of the day" unless the majority of the day was to be spent on the ranges or in the local training area. I remember one colonel saying that "combats" were the army's "jeans.")

There are Army officers that own jeans? I get RCEME officers who want to do some work on their Triumph in their garage, but outside of them I can't imagine Army officers owning dungarees. And to wear them in the mess? Maybe for a Halloween party dressed as convicts? Jolly good fun those Halloween parties. Cracking good times they were.

I go on leave for one week. One week. Jeans in the mess. What's next!?!

There are Army officers that own jeans? I get RCEME officers who want to do some work on their Triumph in their garage, but outside of them I can't imagine Army officers owning dungarees. And to wear them in the mess? Maybe for a Halloween party dressed as convicts? Jolly good fun those Halloween parties. Cracking good times they were.

I go on leave for one week. One week. Jeans in the mess. What's next!?!
Officers wanting to mow their lawns without wearing a jacket and tie (Present company excepted, of course)?

I'm definitely interested to see what happens with the mess dress rules. I think it's pretty clear that every mess is going to be expected / required to reformulate their dress rules to be gender neutral. But a number of messes really just say something like "shirt / tie or ladies equivalent". Or, for example, the aforementioned officer's mess in Petawawa specifies for informal "Men – Jacket and tie with dress Trousers, Women – Dress or Blouse with slacks", which really that when we get rid of the gendered specification in the rules, you're going to be effectively removing the requirement for the jacket and the tie that men previously had to adhere to.

There was a good thread tangential to this back in April on twitter

No jeans in the mess is really still a thing?

Dude, you realize that you've just triggered a mass kitten cull, right? ;)

hangover GIF

I had a roommate at a now closed base, who worn dresses on weekends. That was the 1990s.

Every generation of soldier has some reg changed that will ruin the army in the eyes of the old timer. For my generation it was the following.

C1 family changing to the C7 Family, we were not going to kill anything with the plastic gun, and how it bad it looked on parade compared to oak.

When being gay was legal, they did a tv talk show on it in Toronto ( The Shirley Show) and they had experts on the panel saying guys and girls would be uncomfortable in the shower because we would worry some same sex person was checking us out. Not enough time to do that in the mornings, too much to do to look around. Get wet, get clean, get out, go eat. i was at the taping wearing my RCR Battle School T shirt.

Co-ed barracks on courses, real eye opener for me girls on the bunk across from me during my CLC at the RCR battle school on the Mattawa plains. Got over it quick, too busy to care.

Now you have boots that do not require polishing, I would miss not polishing my boots, was a great time killer on Sunday nights watchign tv in the barracks. Older RSMs must be going nuts looking at the all different boots on parade.

This new dress reg is not going to be the down fall, it is just another new thing that we will get over and move on, till the next change in uniforms or equipment.

Just my opinion

Back