• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs šŸ¤£

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This policy will change very little in my own life and appearance, as I personally have no desire to grow out my hair, dye it, pierce my ears, get a face tattoo, or start wearing a skirt.

That said, I am elated for the leagues of current and future troops that this will have a massive positive effect on. The changes I have seen in the past 15 years have all been "OMG NOOOO!!!!!" followed by a resounding "meh" 3 weeks after.

We didn't lose combat effectiveness when we incorporated women into combat roles in the 1980s.

We didn't lose our societal mores when we stopped discriminating against LGBTQ2IA+ soldiers from serving openly.

We didn't go soft when we no longer tolerated racist and bigoted behaviour after Somalia.

We didn't become feral with Reefer Madness in 2018 with WEEDFORGEN.

We didn't have a single soldier die in a CBRN attack on CFB Petawawa due to BEARDFORGEN.

We will be just fine.

This is going to be some funny shit when it's up and running.

More at Link
Mike Tyson Lol GIF by DAZN

This policy will change very little in my own life and appearance, as I personally have no desire to grow out my hair, dye it, pierce my ears, get a face tattoo, or start wearing a skirt.

That said, I am elated for the leagues of current and future troops that this will have a massive positive effect on. The changes I have seen in the past 15 years have all been "OMG NOOOO!!!!!" followed by a resounding "meh" 3 weeks after.

We didn't lose combat effectiveness when we incorporated women into combat roles in the 1980s.

We didn't lose our societal mores when we stopped discriminating against LGBTQ2IA+ soldiers from serving openly.

We didn't go soft when we no longer tolerated racist and bigoted behaviour after Somalia.

We didn't become feral with Reefer Madness in 2018 with WEEDFORGEN.

We didn't have a single soldier die in a CBRN attack on CFB Petawawa due to BEARDFORGEN.

We will be just fine.
I'm sure we will. This isn't the first change we've been through. I have no expectation of it damaging our readiness or quality. But we all know, it's the minor, insignificant things that tend to bring the most controversy, splashed front page, every commentator following it. I don't care one way or another. I'm just looking forward to all the angst, upheaval and claims of doom that will follow it's initial release. :) Usually, something that might be this controversial is reserved by the government when they need a deep distraction from something else. To find it going from idea to direction in such a short period of time is disturbing to me.

When did Pet have a CBRN attack that affected the whole base? No deaths, with everyone's respirators stowed away in their bug out kit? Was everyone equipped with a new, sealed in the pack, NBC suit?

Lol, this is gonna be great.

I suspect those most up in arms and butthurt about this will be those least relevant to our nationā€™s defence.
The issue is fundamentally cultural. The Military has its own culture and has been unable to adapt as quickly as modern society has.

The impact of this is that this will fudamentally impact the immediate readiness and capabilities of the Military in the short term. It will be every bit as destructive as unification or the disbandment of the CAR was.

The justification of this is longer term progress. We will see how the organization balances this.

Lol, this is gonna be great.

I suspect those most up in arms and butthurt about this will be those least relevant to our nationā€™s defence.

Que the howls from the long retired folks who served 6 months back in '65; they now type everything in caps lock, act like they are an expert on all defense related issues, and believe anyone born after them are weaklings...

Not sure how a beard or a dude with long hair will fundamentally impact the immediate readiness and capability in the short term.

Not sure how a beard or a dude with long hair will fundamentally impact the immediate readiness and capability in the short term.
The beard itself won't but people will leave the organization which is already happening due to the culture. That will impact numbers which will impact readiness.

It already has impacted readiness. Again though, if those people are seen as counter-productive to the institution long term, then the short term losses are justifiable.

@Infanteer in other words:

When has an institutional purge every improved immediate readiness in the short term?

There will be a transition period that will result in a temporary decline. Did the CAFs readiness improve when they unified or disbanded the CAR? Or was their a temporary decline?

I would be more enthused by this if they had a second slide deck showing all the new gear we could be getting. Look at how your new hand tattoo looks bad ass as you hold this new pistol. And watch how your multiple ear rings sit so perfectly in the ear piece of this new radio set. As well, your hair will flow in cool fashion as you launch a rocket from our new AT system.

Ah well.

Still doesnā€™t fix the core issues of recruiting or retention, but at least I can go an extra week or two between haircuts. Probably save me $80-100 over the course of the year.
How much do you wanna bet our members of Parliament receive letters from local barbers talking about their businesses being undermined by Government Policy šŸ˜

Cue the commencement of the Great Canadian Barber Lobby šŸ˜

Back