• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NETPO Living arrangements

theSeaDog

Inactive
Reaction score
I could not seem to find the answer to this question. During the NETP-O phase are you required to live on base? Further, are you required to while doing the CSE training in halifax? I admit I haven't searched on the latter question yet - I figured I'd tag it in there in case someone had a quick answer.

theSeaDog said:
I could not seem to find the answer to this question. During the NETP-O phase are you required to live on base? Further, are you required to while doing the CSE training in halifax? I admit I haven't searched on the latter question yet - I figured I'd tag it in there in case someone had a quick answer.

Last I heard you are required to live on during NETP-O.

You are not necessarily 'required' to live on base, depends on your situation. A couple of people on my course were living off base, but they were both MARS, and hence were going to be spending a lot of time there. If you are an engineer you will only be there for the course and then back to Halifax, so you probably will have to live on base. Take heart though, Kingsmill building is very new, and quite nice. Netpo is also one of the easiest courses you will ever do, so it should be fairly enjoyable no matter what.

Best of luck!

Also, for CSE training, there is no such thing as living on base in Halifax, you will be required to find your own place to live in the city, and enjoy the benefits of PLD.

MSEng314 said:
Also, for CSE training, there is no such thing as living on base in Halifax, you will be required to find your own place to live in the city, and enjoy the benefits of PLD.

Many of the NCM Students at CFNES on their QL3's and QL5's from the West Coast Live in 'A' Block.

True enough, but since he said netp-o I am assuming he is talking about the officer course, and they don't have lodgings for officers on base, at least not that they like to let you have anyways.

MSEng314 said:
they don't have lodgings for officers on base, at least not that they like to let you have anyways.

Who are they filling Juno Tower and Russell House with?

N. McKay said:
Who are they filling Juno Tower and Russell House with?
Chiefs and POs and senior officers, with an odd vacancy for Lt(N)s and Slts. Junior subbies on career courses will almost certainly end up in Wellington Block: single rooms, common bathrooms, rats.

Don't be hard on the rats.  They've been there longer than anyone! ;D

hamiltongs said:
Junior subbies on career courses will almost certainly end up in Wellington Block: single rooms, common bathrooms, rats.

That doesn't seem so bad really. When we arrived fresh off the plane from St. Jean they basically told us that they would provide us a room in Russell House (that we would have to pay for, along with the overpriced rations in Juno) for thirty days maximum until we found an apartment off base. Even the people on IR could only stay for a month before they had to find a place off base. Not really so bad I guess since living off base is generally cheaper, but it seemed to us that they didn't really care and just wanted us out the door as soon as possible, not the best first impression if you've just arrived at your first real posting after basic training...

Ah, well if Halifax is the location of your posting then you may well have to find accommodations off-base. If you're just there on TD pending a final posting you'll be put up in the shacks.

MSEng314 said:
, not the best first impression if you've just arrived at your first real posting after basic training...

I have been to Halifax many times. I would think that the reality of having so many people transiting through and having to house them outweighs the need to make a good impression. I dont blame them for wanting you our ASAP, looks like they need the room.

MSEng314 said:
You are not necessarily 'required' to live on base, depends on your situation. A couple of people on my course were living off base, but they were both MARS, and hence were going to be spending a lot of time there. If you are an engineer you will only be there for the course and then back to Halifax, so you probably will have to live on base. Take heart though, Kingsmill building is very new, and quite nice. Netpo is also one of the easiest courses you will ever do, so it should be fairly enjoyable no matter what.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the answers. I suppose my circumstances are different from most. If it is not option that is fine, but I'd prefer to sleep in the apartment I share with my girlfriend that is 20 minutes away  8)

Back