• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need Guidance on Rucksack March

Delta

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me some pointers when doing the rucksack march? Because I was training on my own, I found that the following problems happening:

1. my left trapezius muscle seems to be taking more load than the right one, even though I secured the rucksack equally tight on both sides.

2. my upper body seem to be leaning forward at a 10-15 degree angle. I tried to march upright but found that really awkward.

These problems didn't appear when I was doing it on course, should I decrease the load and try again? Any help would be appreciated, thnx.

For #1, it's probably due to your walking style. I'd need to see you walk to say if it's that, but chances are your steps are uneven.

For #2, personally I always lean forward a bit, keeping my back straight. Never found anything wrong with that. It seems to allow the weight to go down my legs more easily.  ???

#1, ensure your rucksack is packed evenly and the valise is centred.  You may have more weight on one side, hence it is dragging on your shoulder.

#2, try to keep the weight towards the top (i.e. heavy items).  If your ruck's centre of gravity is low, it will drag you backwards.  In any case, having a load on your back should cause you to lean forward slightly to counterbalance it.

I've done a few "humps" and have come to realize, the waist belt, "it's a good thing".  It takes the weight off the shoulders and places it onto the hips, preventing slouching and chafing of the shoulders.  This isn't the answer for everyone.

Most (not all) infantry guys don't use it for personal reasons and obvious compatablility issues.  Nonetheless, if you have a heavy load and have the time to properly adjust and use the waist belt, it will only help you in the long run.

Delta, after having done some "rucking" both for unit training purposes and on a few courses (which for an infanteer is basically inevitable), here are a couple of things I can offer from my own experience which has been bettered by practical regimen and the advice of a handful of thorough-bred infanteers.

1) The human body (as far as I know) tends to naturally lean forward to compensate for various loads carried on the back. Essentially, the heavier the load the steeper the angle of the back and of-course the lighter the load, the more upright your back positioning will be. Furthermore, I have not seen a person marching on a 90 degree angle (well maybe a couple of times in the movie: The Devil's Brigade, sneaky suspicion that Hollywood had something to do with that) on a 13k or a 24 k for that matter.

2) When loading the ruck up for the deed, try and stuff bigger and heavier items on the large center of the ruck and fold the items evenly so that you don't end up having your socks and undies hanging out one end and your Gortex jacket and fleece on the other end cuz that will chafe your shoulders and armpits and believe me they will chafe you good. Same rule applies to the contents of the sleeping bag.

3) Tighting up each strap will be extremely beneficial as it will pack your equipment tightly and closely knit together. Make sure that you tighten the shoulder straps only to the point of comfort. Very loose will hurt your back and too tight will hurt your shoulders. I'll let you figure that out on your own.

4) Tracker23A has a good point on the use of the waist belt, after-all it is there for a reason. My first ruck came with the chest belt too so they both help. I personally have used the waist belt very little but on longer humps I have used the waist belt on and off for tactical/friendly situations.

5) Try and keep your pace at a constant and steady tempo (usually dependant on the mood of Sr. NCOs, scattered staff and situational readiness) and avoid stomping, instead attempt taking softer paces. I have seen several folks tired halfway during a BFT or a LRP because they started stomping or dragging their feet on the ground.

6) Finally, there is no such thing as a perfect hump and you will be miserable one way or another. If the chaffing doesn't slow you down, the blisters, the weather or some other earthly anomaly will. Good news is that they do tend to (or seem to) become easier with a steady diet of regular practice, constant hydration and the phenomenon known as the "WILL". Just keep on keep it on! Hope that helps  :salute:

Cheers!

Oh and if your staff doesn't mind, ask permission to carry a Camelback. Most of the time on recruit courses, you won't be allowed... but you never know. Not ever being dehydrated during a march is one of the best ways to keep going.

Hi,
I was just wondering whether we are allowed to go on rucksack marchs on our own time, and if so, can I wear civies or do I have to wear uniform?
Thx!

Wait to see what the more knowledgeable members have to say, but in my opinion, if you only wore civvies except for the ruck sack, you would look like a civilian just going for a hike with some old army rucksack from the surplus store. You would probably want to wear your boot too though to help break them in more...because i think the more broken in, the better.

leed24 said:
Hi,
I was just wondering whether we are allowed to go on rucksack marchs on our own time, and if so, can I wear civies or do I have to wear uniform?
Thx!

Go ahead in civvies.  Adrian_888 has it right - you'll just look like a "wannabe civy".

One point, however - make sure that ruck marching is down on your personal fitness form (correct form name and number escapes me - it's been a few years - the one you fill out when you take the EXPRESS testing) as part of your personal fitness regime.  If you get hurt doing it (twisted ankle, etc), you want it to be "official PT".

The above holds true for whatever fitness regime you do on your own time.

Roy

Relax Boys
Hike with whatever is comfortable. Military rucks generally suck until you have 100lbs in them, then they're the bomb. You need to practice with weight, civvies have no idea, I recommend using a military ruck till you're out of basic ,switch to a 64.
Not sure how the Royals operate, but, if you  get a 64 pattern ruck, I'm sure the taliban don't care.

I personally hike around with my ruck sac, and never had problem in civvies, people look at me sometimes, but its part of the game.

As for the boots, I never wear them while walking in civvies because the ones I have are due to exchange because they are way over used.

Altought Don't always go walking with you ruck. Include also some "light weight" walk. even if you don't have the weight on you its a good exercise that will help. 

Roy Harding said:
One point, however - make sure that ruck marching is down on your personal fitness form (correct form name and number escapes me - it's been a few years - the one you fill out when you take the EXPRESS testing) as part of your personal fitness regime.  If you get hurt doing it (twisted ankle, etc), you want it to be "official PT".
DND 279 if I'm not mistaken, which I have been in the past. That said, I am fairly certain that it is the 279.

On your own time feel free to throw your ruck on anytime you want.

Dress can be full civilian clothing,or full combats.Depending on the base it can be combat pants,boots,and regimental shirt.Ive also seen beign allowed ballcaps with combat bottoms and regimental shirt,or floppyhat/toque.

I use it from time to time to run with.Started off with it lightly loaded and slowley working up the weight.
However course has totally fudged up my workout regime.Back at it after may I guess.

I run in civi's with my ruck on,but usually on base.I really couldnt care if someone thought I was "a wanna be civi".As I'm not really big on people anyway,and I'm use to people staring when I'm out running at 24h00.Who going to say anything to you anyway?WTF would they say?

My former course officer told me to ruck in full combats if I want.  He even told me to throw on my tac vest if I want, just don't do it wearing my helmet.

Best way,
head down, ass up, one foot in front of the other and watch your arcs.

JarheadBC said:
My former course officer told me to ruck in full combats if I want.  He even told me to throw on my tac vest if I want, just don't do it wearing my helmet.

Why not.
I can see if your wearing combat bottoms and a pink jacket with blue furry hood,someone saying something to you.
However I have marched/ran with ruck with regimental top and combat bottoms.At the regiment it is actually the way we normally did it with just the rucksack.I have also done it in appropriate civilian attire.I.E track pants and t shirt with out "I Fk for chocolate bars"written across it.
Why the heck would a soldier be not permitted to use his helmet?That's just someone talking out of their ass.If you can carry it home,you can wear it appropriately.

Not sure why he said not to bother with the helmet.  I never got a chance to ask him.

Some bits of advice i was recently given.  Buy a better waste belt (with those side pads (kidney pads?), and if possible, a better frame.  Also make sure there is no space between the valise and your frame.  Apparently your aloud to customize your ruck sack... or at least hopefully.  :-\

If you're using the 82 pattern ruck, (which, less face it, unless you're lucky enough to have gotten you're hands on a 64 pat and are allowed to use it, you will be!) Make sure you don't pack too much in the very top part that sticks up above your head. If you do, when you put on your helmet it pushes your head forward. This causes you to lean forward and it is more difficult to breath properly with your head down. Also, make sure that you drink lots of water, even if you don't really feel thirsty. Most people who fall out of ruck marches, haven't been drinking enough water. As a general rule, if you haven't finished off your canteen at the end of a 13k march, you haven't been drinking enough.

Just a little correction to Jeff's post. It's an 82 pattern ruck, not 84.

Back