• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Training without ships?

Maxadia

Inactive
Reaction score
First the Royal Navy was left with aircraft carriers but no aircraft. Then it was made public that British waters were no longer protected by an emergency standby ship because resources were so stretched.

Now it seems sailors may not even go to sea – at least while they are training.

The Royal Navy has announced what it is calling “the most radical change to its training” in four decades. Sailors will prepare for warfare from ''virtual ships’’.
The new £108 million Maritime Composite Training System was unveiled yesterday at two bases in Devon and Hampshire.
The “operations rooms” feature banks of LCD screens replicating equipment used at sea.
The Ministry of Defence said the system would be used by about 1,000 trainees every year and would allow existing personnel to maintain their warfare skills.

The two sites are nearly 200 miles apart, at HMNB Devonport in Plymouth and HMS Collingwood in Fareham, near Southampton.
At the bases, crews will prepare for service on the latest Type 45 destroyers, as well as Type 23 frigates, Type 42 destroyers, assault ships and carriers.
The Government cut the Navy’s surface fleet to 19 frigates and destroyers in last year’s defence review.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8937203/Navy-training-minus-a-ship.html

We have been doing versions of that for years.

FSTO said:

Is that what your doing when you say your heading to the trainer for the afternoon ?  ;) ;D

Just pulling yout chain!

FSTO said:
The Ops Room staff have been doing that for years. As I continue to tell my MARS coworkers, there is more to the ship than the Ops Room. Try going below 2 deck and aft of frame 21 - There's a whole other world!
All that said, I am hearing from DMTE (Ooops, sorry; MTS)  that the RCN will be shooting for a similar thing-No training in an operational unit; It is all done prior to via trainers and simulators. Albeit this is 5+ years out, as a stoker (AKA hands on), I think you can guess my take on this.

I seem to recall going to a building in Stad for training on the CPF Damage Control Console in the mid '90s, and I recall NE Techs doing Computer Based Training on TACAN (and some other systems, can't remember which) around the same time frame.  There have been lots of simulators and mockups around for non-Ops Room types.

Pat in Halifax said:
The Ops Room staff have been doing that for years. As I continue to tell my MARS coworkers, there is more to the ship than the Ops Room. Try going below 2 deck and aft of frame 21 - There's a whole other world!
All that said, I am hearing from DMTE (Ooops, sorry; MTS)  that the RCN will be shooting for a similar thing-No training in an operational unit; It is all done prior to via trainers and simulators. Albeit this is 5+ years out, as a stoker (AKA hands on), I think you can guess my take on this.

Whoa!  Hold on! There is a deck below 2 deck?
  :D

I don't know if this is a new thing or not but they've been mentioning here in the MARS world that it is possible to get some of our NOPQ req's done in the NABS because of the lack of available platforms.

Why can't we just have remote controlled warships? I wouldn't mind pulling extra shifts from the comfort of Ottawa - granted that I am allowed to bring my Iphone into the ops room, and have pizza delivered on lunch.

It can't be that hard to drive one of those things, right? As for weaponry - just give me a button and my finger will be on it!

Spectrum said:
Why can't we just have remote controlled warships? I wouldn't mind pulling extra shifts from the comfort of Ottawa - granted that I am allowed to bring my Iphone into the ops room, and have pizza delivered on lunch.

It can't be that hard to drive one of those things, right? As for weaponry - just give me a button and my finger will be on it!

Do you *really* want to give up port visits, sea pay and the stories involved?  :blotto:

Occam said:
I seem to recall going to a building in Stad for training on the CPF Damage Control Console in the mid '90s, and I recall NE Techs doing Computer Based Training on TACAN (and some other systems, can't remember which) around the same time frame.  There have been lots of simulators and mockups around for non-Ops Room types.
True, true, and there is also a Halifax class MCR mock up in the Pullen Bdg and an Iroquois class one at CFFSE but these were NEVER intended to replace 'real' training. I recall (as a steamer trained stoker) 'playing' on the mockup in the Pullen Bdg just to get a feel for this 'ultra new' technology prior to requalling my Cert 3. These were also intended to train the individual, not the team as team training can only gain the appreciation with that 'pucker' factor by doing it for real. I have had a few emergencies for real and by having done something close in practise, trust me, it helps but the team still needs to bring their individual talents together in the real world.

Back