• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Reserves Questions

JSoff

Subscriber
Reaction score
I decided to change my file from Army Reserves to Navy Reserves, just honestly everything about it sounds better (At least from what I have heard). I have a few questions, that I have attempted to search for but I am really coming up with nothing. All I can find is Army Reserve questions and answers.

Where is BMQ done for Naval Reserves? Is there an option to do Full-time BMQ for Navy Reserves, that isn't just in the summer?

Also I came across a slightly dated video so I am not sure if a lot of it still applies, but do Naval Reservists actually have the option to work full-time hours? During the video it also mentioned being posted on Regular Forces ships, I would assume this goes a long with the full-time Reserve hours?

In the case of traveling, do Reserve vessels usually get to go out and see the world?

Thanks in advance,

AlphaBravo

AlphaBravo said:
I decided to change my file from Army Reserves to Navy Reserves, just honestly everything about it sounds better (At least from what I have heard). I have a few questions, that I have attempted to search for but I am really coming up with nothing. All I can find is Army Reserve questions and answers.

Where is BMQ done for Naval Reserves? Is there an option to do Full-time BMQ for Navy Reserves, that isn't just in the summer?

Also I came across a slightly dated video so I am not sure if a lot of it still applies, but do Naval Reservists actually have the option to work full-time hours? During the video it also mentioned being posted on Regular Forces ships, I would assume this goes a long with the full-time Reserve hours?

In the case of traveling, do Reserve vessels usually get to go out and see the world?

Thanks in advance,

AlphaBravo

I believe BMQ is now done in Valcartier during the summer. Check with a recruiter if you can get on another outside the summer period. There is plenty of opportunity for full time work once you are trade qualified. There is no such a thing as reserve ships, you can be put on MCDV's or any other RCN vessel except subs. You will have plenty of opportunity to see the world.

AlphaBravo said:
All I can find is Army Reserve questions and answers.

Naval Reserve BMQ 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/109833/post-1215869#msg1215869

Naval Reserve
https://www.google.ca/search?q=naval+reserve&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=IFuaVsLnIsmC8QeK9ImYBA&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+naval+reserve

Navy Reserve
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+acs+Navy+Reserve&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=XKabVrmKMKeC8QeTgrWABQ&gws_rd=ssl

NAVRES
https://www.google.ca/search?q=naval+reserve&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=IFuaVsLnIsmC8QeK9ImYBA&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+NAVRES

Is the Canadian Naval Reserve all but finished?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/114367.0

Forces.ca
Naval Reserve
http://www.navy-marine.forces.gc.ca/en/about/structure-navres-home.page

Recruiting.ca
The Navy Reserve in the Canadian Armed Forces
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123#tab3

Chief Stoker said:
I believe BMQ is now done in Valcartier during the summer. Check with a recruiter if you can get on another outside the summer period. There is plenty of opportunity for full time work once you are trade qualified. There is no such a thing as reserve ships, you can be put on MCDV's or any other RCN vessel except subs. You will have plenty of opportunity to see the world.

To amplify what the Chief has said:

BMQ is done in Valcartier, typically in the summer. It is possible for you to attend a Reg Force BMQ outside those dates, but the opportunities are few. Your unit training office will have better visibility on the question than Recruiting.

Both your BMQ and trade training will be full time. After qualification, you may have the opportunity to serve at sea. It will be up to you to keep your eyes and ears open. Your unit should have a notice board that posts the open positions - seek it out. Keep in close contact with your chain of command and training department. Don't restrict yourself to sea based taskings. Depending on your trade there may be more shore based opportunities available. The short version is that you have to ask to go away, you will not be tasked without your involvement in the process.

Thank you all for your replies, I am going for Cook so I have the availability for anywhere, in the links mentioned above it seems all over the place for working times, before BMQ what type of working hours can I expect? I see things like "every night" to only one night a week possibly two if in a admin trade. I will likely be relocating to be closer to the unit so I am going to have to look at renting a place in Victoria, also meaning I will have to find a new job. How frequent is it that after BMQ and Trades qualification you are able to do full-time hours? Also is base housing a  possibility, or is that only for contracts?

The hours/days you will work prior to and after BMQ and your QL3 will vary greatly. Once  you've completed trade qualification opportunities for full time employment open up considerably. That being said, if you're looking for full time employment and stability you should join the Regular Force.

I would also caution you from moving to Victoria in hopes of getting work easier through the reserves. While it is vertainly true that short term employment in Orcas, KIN class or at CFB Esquimalt are easier to get as a local hire (and by short term I mean less than 30 days) you de-facto make yourself ineligible for PLD and LTA among other benefits if you do find yourself fortunate enough to get a long term contract (1 year or more).

While it may seem a trivial concern, PLD as of this writing  is 816 dollars a month.

Anyhow, in sum - looking for stable, continuous work? Ask to join the Regular Force.

1. Here's what happens at my unit; your mileage may differ.

Parade twice weekly to:
- complete your pre-BMQ package;
- learn how to wear your uniform correctly;
- learn some elementary drill;
- learn some general service knowledge (history and customs, rank structure etc);

2. The opportunity for full time work is highly variable. It helps that you will be a cook as it increases where you can work.

3. Most of the tasking messages I've read recently state that members must live on the economy. Certainly there is no on base housing if you don't have a full time contract.

If you want secure, full time employment with the CF then perhaps the Regular Force is a better option.

AlphaBravo said:
How frequent is it that after BMQ and Trades qualification you are able to do full-time hours?

This may help,

Class B
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+Class+B&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=8bGbVurPDKiC8QewirjABw&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+%22Class+B%22

Full time
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+Class+B&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=8bGbVurPDKiC8QewirjABw&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+full+time
( You can also search: "full-time" and "fulltime". )

From Ask a CAF Recruiter,
Full time possibilities in the reserve
http://army.ca/forums/threads/117634/post-1346981.html#msg1346981

There is a Reserve Employment Opportunity website that advertise available full time employment positions. Each position listing includes the following:

-MOC (Military Occupation Code) that may apply for the position.
-The rank required for the position
-Qualifications required for the position
-Location of employment
-Length of contract

Similar to the recruiting process to join the CAF individuals wanting the full time employment must apply through their chain of command for the position number being advertised. After the closing date of the advertisement for the position the individuals who meet the requirements for the position are contacted for an interview. Full time employment contracts with the Primary Reserve are highly competitive. 
END QUOTE

As mentioned on here many  times over the years, only the Regular Force can guarantee full-time employment.

AlphaBravo said:
Thank you all for your replies, I am going for Cook so I have the availability for anywhere, in the links mentioned above it seems all over the place for working times, before BMQ what type of working hours can I expect? I see things like "every night" to only one night a week possibly two if in a admin trade. I will likely be relocating to be closer to the unit so I am going to have to look at renting a place in Victoria, also meaning I will have to find a new job. How frequent is it that after BMQ and Trades qualification you are able to do full-time hours? Also is base housing a  possibility, or is that only for contracts?

There is plenty of full time work for cooks in the naval reserves right now, in fact we are crying for personnel. The RCN wants to increase the number of naval reserves on all CPF's in a major way, so there is employment. If you decide to move to the regular force you can component transfer over with no loss of rank or seniority as the qualifications are the same. Like was mentioned before do not transfer units to Malahat or Scotian as it makes you ineligible for PLD.

What is your plan?

Are you using the reserves as a way to try to Navy without being locked into a contract? And then should you like it  do class(a/B/c)? Until/if and when your CT goes through?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth but that is the vibe I'm getting.

There is nothing wrong with trying the Forces through the reserves (i did it, but I was also studying full them when I joined ). 

Just make sure you know what you are getting into. The saying "It depends" and "your mileage may vary" really applies to the reserves.

Maybe the Navy is different but I've watched friends do class A/B in the army while waiting for CT's and I wouldn't recommend it.

runormal said:
What is your plan?

Good question,

AlphaBravo said:
I currently have an application in progress to become a Combat Engineer,

AlphaBravo said:
Hello, I was wondering how I would go about changing my application from Reserves to Regular Force?

Thank you all for your replies, I have discovered I can't join HMCS Malahat, as I live in the Lower Mainland and had no plans to move to Victoria.

So I ended up letting the Sergeant at the Army unit know that I will not be going that route, and he said it was fine and moved on from there.

Today I finally received medical and interview dates, and confirmed I will be attending them, however right after I confirmed the dates, I received a call from a Master Seaman at HMCS Discovery and she asked if I still would like to join the Naval Reserves, I told her yes.

So now that I have a interview date (Next week), should I just proceed with the interview like normal? But explain to the MCC interviewing me that I had a change of heart, and that Master Seaman (Name) at HMCS Discovery has contacted me and told me that they're hiring for Cook?

I was told by the Master Seaman that because it's just a unit change, and not a trade change that it should be fine, but I am worried that it will make my interview invalid if I tell them I would like to change units.

Thanks in advance.

AlphaBravo said:
So now that I have a interview date (Next week), should I just proceed with the interview like normal? But explain to the MCC interviewing me that I had a change of heart, and that Master Seaman (Name) at HMCS Discovery has contacted me and told me that they're hiring for Cook?

Yes, although don't use that approach. Tell them that a different opportunity presented itself and you would like to take advantage of it. Positive vs negative.

AlphaBravo said:
I was told by the Master Seaman that because it's just a unit change, and not a trade change that it should be fine, but I am worried that it will make my interview invalid if I tell them I would like to change units.

Thanks in advance.

You'll be fine. As long as Discovery has an open position for a Cook, which would be the inference from the phone call, it shouldn't change things for you.

Fantastic! Thank you so much, I will have to come up with a much better way to bring it up haha. They do have positions at Discovery, I am actually fairly happy as I have been wanting to get into the unit since I first applied. Hopefully my process won't be much longer! Thanks for all the help!

Just wanted to post this, and ask a quick question. I didn't feel like it was worth starting a new thread over, question is partially rhetorical anyway. (Still curious, just not sure if there is a quick answer here.)

In this video, a naval reserve unit is doing some small arms training. On their rifles, I noticed quite a few of them have forward mounted grips installed. Is this common? The norm? Unusual? Are these grips being introduced forces wide? Are they optional?

The reason I ask is because during my entire time in the Army, we never ONCE had access to forward grips like these. The only exception was when deployed to Afghanistan, we were issued forward grips while at KAF, before heading out. And when the tour was over and we came back to glorious 'garrison life' - again, I didn't see any unless the rifles were used by certain/specialty trades.

Just wondering about the grips is all -

I believe this is what we have in the wpns vault. I can ask the Coxn about it when I next see him if you like.

If it comes up, I wouldn't mind knowing. I've been out for a while, and I've seen these grips become more common. Was just wondering if DND has/was sending out a few boxes of grips to various units - the question came mostly out of jealousy when I saw the video 😅

If it doesn't come up or you don't remember, not a big deal. Appreciate the offer either way :)

Yes, they are readily accessible now.

Yes, as someone now out who started with the FN FAL, I am also jealous.

Back