• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Ensign

Sub_Guy

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/05/02/ns-navy-flag-ensign.html

After 48 years, the Royal Canadian Navy will be flying a new flag.

The new ensign will debut on May 5, marking the anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic, a time when the navy and Canadians salute the sacrifices of sailors during the Second World War.

Since 1965, the Canadian maple leaf flag has flown off the stern of Canadian warships. The new design harkens back to the wartime navy. Back then, the naval ensign had a British flag in the upper corner on an all-white background.

In a reversal, the flag known as the Naval Jack will become the new Canadian naval ensign and the maple leaf design will become the new Naval Jack.

The new naval ensign incorporates the national flag in the upper left hand corner and the naval badge.

The navy said the switch doesn't mean they’ll scrap the maple leaf flag. Previously the ensign flag was displayed on the bow of Canadian warships, a less prominent position in navy protocol.

The new ensign will fly on 34 Canadian warships. The first ship to show it will be HMCS Toronto, now serving in the Persian Gulf.

I heard about this but couldn't find anything on it. Interesting.

34 warships-Are we hiding one somewhere???

Looks fine:

BJS-h2iCIAAEeGc.jpg:large

Will look strange at first until we become accustomed to it again.  It's not like we're re-inventing the wheel or anything, just retuning to what was once again.

E.R. Campbell said:
So here is the new "white ensign" - distinctively Canada and well grounded historically - as it was when it was the Naval Jack.

And all at no cost, too. BZ, Navy!

Looks good, distinctive....

E.R. Campbell said:
So here is the new "white ensign" - distinctively Canada and well grounded historically - as it was when it was the Naval Jack.

And all at no cost, too. BZ, Navy!

Couldn't they find a ship without a stove in bow, for the picture?  ;D

I really think that manhours and resources could be used better elsewhere. Why not go back to hammocks and hard tack too?

Steam is good......though, the wood gets kinda damp.... :)

Finally, the National flag is back at the place of honour on a ship: The Jackstaff.

And switching the Ol' Jack to become the Ensign is exactly what I proposed in these pages two years ago when the curl was reintroduced - Either someone in Ottawa is reading these pages or great minds think alike ;) .

The next question now: Will the CFAV's switch theirs too, so they now fly the Canadian Blue Ensign ?

...And 130 deg Boiler Rooms, asbestos dust (Yumm!) and of course 'Tiller Flats' justice!!!
I am still wondering why the majority of us were likely informed of this through the press?

Dolphin_Hunter said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/05/02/ns-navy-flag-ensign.html

After 48 years, the Royal Canadian Navy will be flying a new flag.

The new ensign will debut on May 5, marking the anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic, a time when the navy and Canadians salute the sacrifices of sailors during the Second World War.

Since 1965, the Canadian maple leaf flag has flown off the stern of Canadian warships. The new design harkens back to the wartime navy. Back then, the naval ensign had a British flag in the upper corner on an all-white background.

In a reversal, the flag known as the Naval Jack will become the new Canadian naval ensign and the maple leaf design will become the new Naval Jack.

The new naval ensign incorporates the national flag in the upper left hand corner and the naval badge.

The navy said the switch doesn't mean they’ll scrap the maple leaf flag. Previously the ensign flag was displayed on the bow of Canadian warships, a less prominent position in navy protocol.

The new ensign will fly on 34 Canadian warships. The first ship to show it will be HMCS Toronto, now serving in the Persian Gulf.

That's funny. I was always taught by the old Chiefs at comm school that in Commonwealth navies, the Jack was the place of honour onboard.

stokerwes said:
I really think that manhours and resources could be used better elsewhere. Why not go back to hammocks and hard tack too?
A hammock couldn't be worse than our new mattresses.  Would probably sleep much better.

I can't see there being too much cost to this since it's essentially just a matter of swapping ends where the flags go on the ships

Here here!

(EDIT to add: I meant this in response to the tot. I apparently wasn't fast enough)

NavalMoose said:
I can't see there being too much cost to this since it's essentially just a matter of swapping ends where the flags go on the ships

You forgot all the bureaucratic man-hours spent on the paperwork that is involved in amending publications, orders, etc.; not to mention the translation of said orders and publications prior to reprinting them.  >:D

Just had hands fall down after lunch.  The old man said (paraphrase) there's more corrections coming with the intent of ridding any semblance of the what was done at unification.  I'm not too sure what else needs to be done to bring the wheel back around once more, he didn't elaborate further.  Will have to wait and see.

NavalMoose said:

To be fair, there are some minor costs associated with this.  The one I am aware of was the requirement to procure new ensigns for our small boats.  But again, I think that was, relatively speaking, a minor cost

Back