• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

naval communicator jobs

koss78a

Inactive
Reaction score
I know this thread is on here in some way or another.

I would like to know if naval communicator is a good career  and if many people who go into that profession?
Do they stay in it for all of their lives?

Is it a very demanding job? Does this position have to wave flags lots or do they get to work all over ship?

WHat is the demand on this job right now?
Is lots of math needed in it?
thank you

You should start with going to this link, look under Regular NCM and then Naval Communicator.  It gives you a lot of information about that trade.

http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/engraph/navy/jobs_e.aspx

As for personal experiances about that trade, I can't help you with that.

I began as a signalman and then it became the communicator trade.  In total, it has been 14 years for me.  I am a reservist, but have been employed (most recently) for over 3 years continuously.  Although I preferred the trade as a sig, NavComm is okay too.

I am sure that someone will reply on the Reg force position, but I can let you know about being a reserve comm.  As a reservist working full-time, you will be one of 3 or 4 comms onboard an MCDV.  While alongside, you will be busy with sending and receiving messages which will involve typing and computer skills.  While sailing, you will be standing watches in the Communication Control Room where you will be also working with incoming and outgoing messages, radio communications including sending, receiving and setting up the frequencies or channels.  You may also be employed on the bridge of the ship with communications by radio, flags, semaphore or flashing light (morse code).  You may also be tasked with IT responsibilites and keeping all of the computers onboard working.  And you are relied upon for all matters of ceremony.  As you work through your qualifications, you will be working to sign off on-the-job training packages for yourself, as well as help junior members of the department advance on theirs. 

To answer some of your specific questions:  This job does not require math in the day-to-day aspect of it.  You do get to work throughout the ship also.  For instance, you may be part of "part ship hands" and handle lines for departing from, or coming alongside, the jetty.  You will also be part of the manning pool for shipboard emergencies and aid in fighting fires and floods.  This job can be quite intense and demanding.  When you are on course, most of the pass marks for the exams are 100%.  You must be exact in your radio procedures, ceremonial, signalling etc.  You are often reporting directly to the Commanding Officer and must be confident and right!  You must think quickly on your feet, especially when it comes to radio communication.

This job is not for everyone, but it is excitement-packed and enjoyable.  Like any position, it is what you make of it.  If you have any other questions, please ask.  And the link above will give you some other background too.

navymich said:
I began as a signalman and then it became the communicator trade.  In total, it has been 14 years for me.  I am a reservist, but have been employed (most recently) for over 3 years continuously.  Although I preferred the trade as a sig, NavComm is okay too.

I am sure that someone will reply on the Reg force position, but I can let you know about being a reserve comm.  As a reservist working full-time, you will be one of 3 or 4 comms onboard an MCDV.  While alongside, you will be busy with sending and receiving messages which will involve typing and computer skills.  While sailing, you will be standing watches in the Communication Control Room where you will be also working with incoming and outgoing messages, radio communications including sending, receiving and setting up the frequencies or channels.  You may also be employed on the bridge of the ship with communications by radio, flags, semaphore or flashing light (morse code).  You may also be tasked with IT responsibilites and keeping all of the computers onboard working.  And you are relied upon for all matters of ceremony.  As you work through your qualifications, you will be working to sign off on-the-job training packages for yourself, as well as help junior members of the department advance on theirs. 

To answer some of your specific questions:  This job does not require math in the day-to-day aspect of it.  You do get to work throughout the ship also.  For instance, you may be part of "part ship hands" and handle lines for departing from, or coming alongside, the jetty.  You will also be part of the manning pool for shipboard emergencies and aid in fighting fires and floods.  This job can be quite intense and demanding.  When you are on course, most of the pass marks for the exams are 100%.  You must be exact in your radio procedures, ceremonial, signalling etc.  You are often reporting directly to the Commanding Officer and must be confident and right!  You must think quickly on your feet, especially when it comes to radio communication.

This job is not for everyone, but it is excitement-packed and enjoyable.  Like any position, it is what you make of it.  If you have any other questions, please ask.  And the link above will give you some other background too.

Thanks for sharing.  I have a few more questions regarding the trade that I can't seem to find.  These questions are directed to ALL Naval Communicators. 

Of all the NCM trades, how stressful (in your opinion) is this trade compared to that of the others?  I read something about the turnover rate being quite high.  Is this because of  the stress in the job or because people missing  their families and such?  I'm trying to figure out if I'd make a good NAV Comm or not.  I meet all the requirements on paper, but I feel there might be more to it than this.  The unwritten requirements for a lack of better words.

You mentioned you must be 100% accurate when it comes to certain tests.  How does a potential like myself know if I have what it takes to complete these objectives?  I hate wasting time and more so the time of others.   What if I fail these tests?  How many times do they let you re-do these tests (if at all!)? 

If you could give me a breakdown of how much time you spend with the following duties, I would appreciate it.    I tailored the duties based on the "What they do" section from the jobs website. Please feel free to rewrite these duties to however you see fit as I'm quite green and learning the jargon still.

IE:

Ships Husbandry: 20%
Operate on board communications systems : 20%
Computer/IT: 20%
Communicate inter-ship by ship/shore: 15%
Ceremonial Flags: 5%
Advise Command on tactical signalling and ship manoeuvring: 15%
Misc (Ship's Diver, etc): 5%

Next, I have some questions in regards to the NAVY in general;

1) I'm a big guy.  I'm 6'4 or 6'5.  Will I be comfortable for space in my bunk or will I be having problems waking up sore all over? 
2) With my size mentioned, will my clothes fit?  I have a 36 inseam.  If the Navy can't provide me adequate wear, could I purchase my own clothing that meets their standards? 

If my 2 personal requirements can't be met in the NAVY, would I be better off as a Sig Op in the ARMY?

I'll probably have more questions later, but I really want all of these addressed first.  Thanks for reading!

As far as height and fit.  I'm 6'2" and no real issues with my bunk but you tend to nail your head allot throughout the ship.  You kinda get used to walking through the ship though and I've seen many people taller than me.  Clothing...the military will find stuff to fit no worries there.  As far as Army vs Navy been both now.  The warm racks and hot food are big perks but the biggest perk is in the main cave it cost 1$, its lit up and purs all 24/7.  >:D

:cdn:

Tempest,

You can't break down the NavComm trade into percentages like that.  What you do is completely based on what operation, evolution or training the ship is involved in.  For example, if you are conducting a MARS Officer training program, you will be heavily involved in radio communications utilizing tactical signalling, if you are conducting a tow or other seamanship evolution, you will most likely be spending alot of time on the flag deck with signals or semaphore.

As for ship's husbandry, that is a never ending job, it seems.  You will be in cleaning stations every day, and other times you could be involved in upper deck scrub downs, and paint ship routines.

IT is dependent upon what happens to work (or not work) at the time, and could be busy one day, and nothing new for weeks.

As for the tests on your courses, you will be given ample time to learn things, and if you do not have success with this time, there are opportunities for extra study including evenings and weekends.  If you fail an exam, you are given a rewrite.  If you fail the exam again, or fail another exam, you are given a TRB or Training review board.  These end up different each time, and are dependent on how well you are doing with all other aspects of the course, and whether the instructors feel that you are putting effort into learning.  If you fail again after a TRB, you then are put on a CRB or Career Review board.  This is much more serious, as they will determine here whether you are considered suitable to remain in your trade, and sometimes even the military.

But if you put effort into what you do, request extra training when required, and work as a team with your course mates, there is no need for any of that to happen.

As for stress on the job, sure I have had many days that I wish would end really quickly.  When the CO wants an immediate tactical message sent out, or we are having troubles with equipment or..or.. the list goes on.  But I love my job, I feel that I know my job really well, and that I am good at what I do.  This helps alleviate the stress, because it means less thinking for me when I need to know answers right away, or am put on the spot.  But comparing the stress of my job to others?  I can only speculate, as I have only seen others in action, never been in their shoes.

You may think that the above didn't help you much, but the truth is that many of your queries do not have specific, or direct answers.

navymich said:
You may think that the above didn't help you much, but the truth is that many of your queries do not have specific, or direct answers.

navymich, I was kinda expecting and hoping to get a reply like this!  The way that I read into your reply, it sounds as if there isn't much monotony from day to day!  That's great!  One of my pet peeves is doing the same thing for long periods of time with no variety in other chores / duties.  What kind of work rotation can I expect if I'm in the regular forces? You have addressed every question / concern I had  in my last post!  Thanks!  I"m sure I'll have more questions later!

Currently, I'm taking the next month or so to brush up on my Algebra for the aptitude test.  From reading these forums, looks like it is very advisable.  However, what other things could I study to make my application stronger?  I see that all new recruits learn CompTIA's A+ and Network+.  I already have these and other related certifications.  I also have work experience directly related to this.  Should I take the initiative to learn anything else?  IE: Ceremonial Flags, Morse Code, etc...

Navy_Blue, Good to hear!  When I was in high school, some of my part time jobs would provide a uniform and it would NEVER fit.  It looks stupid and I feel stupid for wearing something that doesn't fit properly.  I'm also glad to hear that my bunk will be adequate.  Just out of curiosity, how much space do you get on a ship?  Do you share a room with someone else / others?  How much sleep do you get on average if out at sea? 

Thanks!  ;D

tempest77 said:
Navy_Blue, Good to hear!  When I was in high school, some of my part time jobs would provide a uniform and it would NEVER fit.  It looks stupid and I feel stupid for wearing something that doesn't fit properly.  I'm also glad to hear that my bunk will be adequate.  Just out of curiosity, how much space do you get on a ship?  Do you share a room with someone else / others?  How much sleep do you get on average if out at sea? 

Thanks!  ;D

There are a couple of very tall guys on my ship - anything up to 6'5" is small compared to these guys, so being tall is no big deal.  6'4" is about the height at which you may need to get shirt extensions - it's no big deal, but once they are on your shirts go down to your knees!  They never come untucked though.

On a CPF you share what is called a messdeck with, on average, 11 other guys (some messes are bigger, some smaller - the smaller ones are for Chief and Petty Officers).  You get one bunk in a stack of three, a good size locker, and a drawer under your bed.  There is always a small sitting area in the messdeck with maybe a couple of couches, and many messes have a TV and game system of some sort (we have an XBox 360 when we go to sea).  Depending on your section, you can use some of your spaces for storage, too.  Sonar operators have two good spaces for storing souveniers and so forth, but most sections aren't as lucky.  Don't know about NAVCOMMs.

On the destroyers the messing is a little more traditional, with a messdeck of 50+ guys.  I think the tankers are similar, and have no idea what the messing is like on an MCDV.

At sea you will almst always either sail in a 1-in-2 or 1-in-4 watch system.  That means either every second watch or every fourth watch, you are working.  1-in-2 is better, as you work five hours, are off for seven, work seven hours, are off for five.  Repeat for as long as necessary, and change the order for the other watch (work seven, sleep five, etc).  1-in-4 is pretty bad for working bodies because you have to work a full 8 hour day and then stand a four hour watch, the time of which changes every day.  And every fourth day you have to clean and stand by for formal evening rounds.  Watchstanding Petty Officers like it because they only have to do a Petty Officer of the Watch duty a couple of times a week, otherwise they just work the 8 hour day (and I can see where they're coming from, but it still stinks for MS and below, particularly below).

There's also a 1-in-3 watch system that I've never done.  Stokers and other MSE types do it sometimes, and so do bridge watchkeeping officers.

MCDV's typically sail with a crew of 45.  There are 2, 3 and 4 person cabins onboard, with the CO, XO and Coxn each having a 2 man (CO doesn't typically share his with anyone).  The 2 and 3 man cabins are 1 set of bunks, whereas the 4 man cabins have 2 sets of 2-person bunks.  As well, there is an accommodations pod secured to the sweepdeck.  All cabins (not the pod) have a locker for each member and a sink, the pod has a locker for each, plus a table.  Some of the cabins are a bit bigger then others, and have a desk in them as well.

Each head and shower (6 of each) is a separate stall with it's own door and lock.  The CO and XO share a head which has a sink and shower in it.

The complement is usually broken down as follows: 32 Junior Ranks, 8 Chiefs and Petty Officers, and 5 Officers.

An MCDV stands in a 1in3 watch rotation.  This is not the best for working bodies, as you are still required to work during the regular work day, and then also your watches throughout the night, but there are not enough bodies to stand a 1in4 rotation.  As well, due to there being fewer personnel onboard, and most are required for evolutions, it is not possible to stand in a 1in2 rotation.  This has been done due to operational requirements, but is not typical.

I'm looking forward to learning the nav comm trade. One of the reasons I chose this trade was because of the computer experience which could be used in many civie jobs.

One big requirement for the NavComm trade is the security clearance.  When you have been enrolled, they will have you fill out all of the forms for it, but ensure that you stay on top of the progress of it.  Without the required clearance, you will be unable to attend your trade courses.

navymich said:
One big requirement for the NavComm trade is the security clearance.  When you have been enrolled, they will have you fill out all of the forms for it, but ensure that you stay on top of the progress of it.  Without the required clearance, you will be unable to attend your trade courses.

Mich, in the last 2-3 years they have allowed students on courses that required level 3 as long as it had been submited in full and was in progress......I'm living proof of that !!

Why am I not surprised that you are an exception to the rules aesop!

...But specifically regarding NavComm courses:  They cancelled 4 or 5 QL1 courses last summer due to students not having level 3.  All of them were in progress at some level, but had not been completed.  They were able to get a few more students on the course by calling DPM Sec, but with how backlogged they are, and the lengthy procedures for level 3, it wasn't a guarantee.

They are attempting to find a way around some of it, including sectioning the course to at least allow a student to commence, but no word as of yet.  It would be nice if they could follow the same track as you and as long as it was in progress, it was acceptable.  There are now quite a few kids a year behind in training.

Mich , my level 3 application was submited over 2 years ago !!  When i checked last week it was still "processing".  Turns out they only started processing it last november....wtf ?

navymich said:
Why am I not surprised that you are an exception to the rules aesop!

...But specifically regarding NavComm courses:  They cancelled 4 or 5 QL1 courses last summer due to students not having level 3.  All of them were in progress at some level, but had not been completed.  They were able to get a few more students on the course by calling DPM Sec, but with how backlogged they are, and the lengthy procedures for level 3, it wasn't a guarantee.

They are attempting to find a way around some of it, including sectioning the course to at least allow a student to commence, but no word as of yet.  It would be nice if they could follow the same track as you and as long as it was in progress, it was acceptable.  There are now quite a few kids a year behind in training.

It must be different for Reg Force as myself and most of my classmates didn't have Top Secret throughout our QL3.

aesop081 said:
Mich , my level 3 application was submited over 2 years ago !!  When i checked last week it was still "processing".  Turns out they only started processing it last november....wtf ?

I am in the process of submitting an update.  From what I understand, simple updates are taking a year to process.  They have been short-handed at DPM Sec for years, and that's the only thing that I can understand would be holding things up (except for the people that have travel to scheduled countries, out of country relatives etc. that would take longer to process).  As for upgrading an application, that is BS that it is taking so long.  I completely understand that upgrading to a Level 3 is alot more information and footwork required, but still, taking so long for a member already in.  As for why it just started with the processing, who knows.  That pile of files must be higher then I thought.

RowdyBowdy said:
It must be different for Reg Force as myself and most of my classmates didn't have Top Secret throughout our QL3.

That is a question that I have just asked through some of my contacts at Fleet School.  I am curious too as to what the difference would be, and also what there plans are for this year so that they are not losing students again.

How would I check on the process of my security clearance?

Check with Ship's Office at your unit.  Actually, disregard that.  Go through your divisional system and THEY will check with the clerks.

SoF said:
How would I check on the process of my security clearance?

You can try doing what navymich has said, but in actual fact, there is probably little to no way to really check on the progress of the Clearance.  As long as it has not been bounced back to you, or some glaring questions come back to you, you will know it is being processed and all you can do is wait the year or so it takes to be done.

Although it is annoying to go through, the nice thing about the electronic way of filling out security forms is that it does a completeness check for you so right away you know if you are missing anything.

If a clearance has been submitted for awhile, sometimes a call made by the ship to DPM Sec will help to determine the status, but from previous experience of calling them, it had better be an important reason why you are asking.

As you get closer to your 1's course SoF, your unit will stay on top of it, as well as Fleet School to ensure that it is progressing.

Back