• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NATO Climate Change and Security Centre of Excellence

Perhaps we could splurge for some portable, teleprompters so the PM doesn’t look like he’s just reading from a sheet of paper… 🤷🏻‍♂️

$4,500…look like…(looks down to check notes)…a professional

Maybe we can use this as an opportunity to leverage some dollars do more combined operations e.g.,

Navy-Marine war game puts their climate action strategy to the test​

The Navy conducted a war game Wednesday to assess how amphibious exercises in the Western Pacific will navigate the consequences of climate change, particularly in terms of resourcing deployed units and logistics.

The goal was to test out the service’s new climate action strategy and identify ways to become more resilient against such threats.

Anand, Trudeau and Joly on the platform.

Joly looking dead chuffed.

Anand looking dead.

Canada skates again.

If there was a version of this with a little girl…accurate.

bill murray GIF

1656683487490.png

This is the Screen Cap I was looking for. Global Affairs smug and engaged. Defence depressed

Joly's expression only changed to "if looks could kill" when Trudeau was confronted by questions from David Akins, Murray Brewster and the Europeans wanting to know how many (troops), with what (equipment) and when (would they arrive) - oh, and how much (money).

It was noteworthy that Anand got thrown under the bus for all those questions and had to deliver the non-answer.

Anand, Trudeau and Joly on the platform.

Joly looking dead chuffed.

Anand looking dead.

Canada skates again.

View attachment 71754

This is the Screen Cap I was looking for. Global Affairs smug and engaged. Defence depressed

Joly's expression only changed to "if looks could kill" when Trudeau was confronted by questions from David Akins, Murray Brewster and the Europeans wanting to know how many (troops), with what (equipment) and when (would they arrive) - oh, and how much (money).

It was noteworthy that Anand got thrown under the bus for all those questions and had to deliver the non-answer.
Could be that Minister Anand looks that grim because she is the only one of the three who understands just how grave the situation is.

Could be that Minister Anand looks that grim because she is the only one of the three who understands just how grave the situation is.
Yup,....I'd love to have screenshots of some of you folk while you're in your meetings. Meme central I'm sure....

Looks like me at my staff meetings!
I may have, as a fairly junior captain, after my (fairly senior) boss declared himself to be a “man of the 90s” during a staff meeting added audibly “you mean of course, the 1890s…”. It brought the room down, but I paid for it…

Luckily, he had a good sense of humour and laughed about it later…

And when people are starting to reach their limit of tolerance of the governmental fear-mongering around the world, a new Ozone-hole is conveniently discovered around the tropical belt… 🤔

Sounds like Canada can come to the worlds rescuer with a Montréal Convention - Mk.2

The other two could care less. As long as the gravy train continues for these so called “leaders” and their loyal minions nothing will change.

And when people are starting to reach their limit of tolerance of the governmental fear-mongering around the world, a new Ozone-hole is conveniently discovered around the tropical belt… 🤔

Sounds like Canada can come to the worlds rescuer with a Montréal Convention - Mk.2

Shocked I tell you, Shocked!

For example, monitoring stations in Japan and South Korea revealed significant levels of CFCs being released in parts of China in 2019, likely from factories and manufacturing processes.

Some surprising opinions in this one. Why shouldn't a security alliance be taking seriously a major phenomenon that has security implications?

Let's remember that we're fat dumb and happy in the west. Food insecurity affects us in the form of food costing a bit more at the grocery store. Because staple foods are commodities, it's a supply and demand thing and as long as we can afford more than other poorer places, we'll get our Cheerios and 5 minute rice. Elsewhere in the world, though, failed harvests due to out-of-pattern flooding, droughts, heatwaves, etc may mean that millions of people don't eat. Millions of hungry people is a major security threat. Wars start and are fought over this. That's relevant for a military alliance.

We'll see increased melting in the north. Should NATO be concerned about a navigable northwest passage? I'd say so. Hell, even within the alliance we've got divergent views (that very much don't work in Canada's favour).

Militaries are increasingly getting pulled to do domestic disaster response for climate-related disasters. This has impacts on force availability and readiness.

Among government departments, agencies, and programs, militaries will for obvious reasons have potentially the largest carbon output. Thinking that governments won't look to militaries to do their bit is unrealistic, and this is a pressure that will be felt to some lesser or greater extent across the major allies. Nothing wrong with exchanging knowledge, innovation, and best practices. The militaries are under civil control, so if the governments decide this is going to be a reality, then the question isn't whether or not militaries will deal with it, but rather, simply 'how?'

So yeah, I get it, this can at first glance be an easy eye roll.. But once we remind ourselves that we have to contend with reality as it is, and that climate change with real impacts on the ground is one of those realities, it makes sense that the alliance should approach this cohesively.

I have faith you will make another GOFO and staff for it…
Oh, yes, I think it will need a very, very senior civil servant - maybe even deputy minister level (is Catherine McKenna looking for a job?) - and a military two star as a "strategic advisor." Wonder if they cold finesse that two star advisor into a three star level job.

One obvious thing that comes to mind is how the farmland in India, Pakistan and I believe parts of China all rely on the same glacier run off for growing crops.

That glacier is shrinking every year, and with those countires having something like a third of the world population and being nuclear powers there are some pretty obvious potential national security related items around access to water for growing food. Also, things like general global warming is evaporating more water so storms are more intense, which also threatens basics like food security.

We're fat, dumb and happy here in Canada until the US starts having serious drought issues and starts looking at our small population and abundance of fresh water. So doing things like turning off the taps for companies like Nestle that extract billions of litres for bottled water might be a more obvious COA if you start looking at the overall strategic impacts of water shortages (and crop yields etc).

Shocked I tell you, Shocked!

For example, monitoring stations in Japan and South Korea revealed significant levels of CFCs being released in parts of China in 2019, likely from factories and manufacturing processes.

I believe I read on skepticalscience.com that one of the theories for those CFC plumes were believed to be from recyling facilities in China working on refrigerators and AC's sent there from here.

One obvious thing that comes to mind is how the farmland in India, Pakistan and I believe parts of China all rely on the same glacier run off for growing crops.

That glacier is shrinking every year, and with those countires having something like a third of the world population and being nuclear powers there are some pretty obvious potential national security related items around access to water for growing food. Also, things like general global warming is evaporating more water so storms are more intense, which also threatens basics like food security.

We're fat, dumb and happy here in Canada until the US starts having serious drought issues and starts looking at our small population and abundance of fresh water. So doing things like turning off the taps for companies like Nestle that extract billions of litres for bottled water might be a more obvious COA if you start looking at the overall strategic impacts of water shortages (and crop yields etc).
Thus the importance of the Kashmir region

The Lake Mead/Lake Powell/Colorado river situation is probably going to come to a head sooner rather than later and with 80-90% of pretty much every fruit or vegetable grown in the US coming from California and most of that from 500,000 acres in one valley there is no way to turn that tap off

Back