• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National Post is reporting Plan to evacuate Canadians from the Middle East

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
National Post aka Post Media is reporting the Government of Canada is in the planning stage of evacuating 45 000 Canadians from the Middle East due to the war in Gaza, Lebanon and Israel.

They are suggesting Canadian troops are already in the area to start the planning and staging areas.
Lebanon, Israel, Cyprus, and Greece.

I am guessing Navy, Air Force assets plus civilian assets like cruise ships, and chartered jets. Last time the government took this sort of action the Canadians were made up of dual citizenships and most ended up returning back to the Middle East.
15 000 people were evacuated last time and huge uproar over the fact some had never lived in Canada but held a Canadian Passport.

I am wondering the cost, and who are the people that they are offering to evacuating from the war zone. Good thing we just purchased new aircraft, and we have arctic patrol ships that can set sail for the Middle East .

story is on National Post 24 June 2024, has been updated.

I imagine a lot of the planning is identifying what we don’t have that we would need to get it done.

From what I learned about the ships we hired and the companies that owned and operated them . Those people had every right to complain .
According to guy I meet some years after the event. He was actually impressed they hadn't had any one die of food poisoning and they actually managed to make port. .
I guess that happens when have you have no choice , no time and very few People in government familiar dealing with those sort of situations.

National Post aka Post Media is reporting the Government of Canada is in the planning stage of evacuating 45 000 Canadians from the Middle East due to the war in Gaza, Lebanon and Israel ...
More from ISR media ...
Canada is preparing to evacuate 45,000 of its citizens from Lebanon should a full-scale war break out between Israel and Hezbollah, Hebrew media reported on Friday.

The Channel 12 report quoted what it said was a tense conversation held earlier in the day between Foreign Minister Israel Katz and his Canadian counterpart Mélanie Joly. The latter was said to have told Katz that Ottawa had already sent military forces to the region in preparation for “the largest evacuation we have ever undertaken,” amid fears of an escalation in violence between Israel and Hezbollah along the border with Lebanon.

It was unclear if similar plans were being made for the roughly 35,000 Canadian citizens living in Israel.

Katz reportedly urged Joly to put pressure on Hezbollah’s Iranian backers to reign in the terror group.

“The window of opportunity is closing,” Katz was quoted as saying. “Israel will not put up with… the situation where residents of the north can’t return to their homes.” ...

But with this government, it is news. They manage to get caught flat-footed on the most mundane of “emergencies”.

To be fair, the provinces haven’t been covering themselves with glory either.
I don't really see evacuating (like dual citizen) Canadians living overseas, in a country that has been at war for eight months, and generally some levels of war for 2 millenia to be an emergency though, as it just didn't come out of no where.

At a certain point it become a 'you' problem, especially when it's months after your government tells you to leave the area. If you have citizenship of that country as well, really should be on that government to protect you first and evacuate you if required.

Back