• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

don't feel bad Sig pig, we are at what a couple hundred pages, all the easy ones have been done!

here is one
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/colinpark_photo/guess%20the%20AFV_zpsipe6frnh.jpg

With the spare wheel on its left side, this (to me) could be the prototype of a Daimler Ferret.

ME

good one the one in my picture is the Panhard 178 B, they seemed to have gone through a number of turrets

cupper said:
Quick question, why wouldn't you have all 4 sets of wheels powered?

Best guess.. At the time 4 wheel drive systems were new yet fairly common. 8 wheel drive systems would have been very costly and tricky to engineer. I think they chose what they felt would be the best combination to power using the 2nd and fourth axles.

Resurrecting this long dormant thread because I came across a piece of ephemera while digging through a box in search of something else.  It was a training aid from the mid-1980s which was a set of cards with photos of miniature models of armoured vehicles.  Ah, memories of the Cold War.

I shuffled the cards and randomly dealt out a few and scanned them.  Anyone want to take a crack?

Attachments

• CVI.jpg
    CVI.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 111
  • CVI-1.jpg
    CVI-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
Here are the reverse side of the cards.  I'll give the benefit for the T54/55 and T62 because of similarity and the repeat of the ZSU 57-2.

Attachments

• CVI-1 answers partial.jpg
    CVI-1 answers partial.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 93
Here are the two not previously identified.

Also a few more for some quick recognition drills.

Attachments

• CVI-1 answers partial 2.jpg
    CVI-1 answers partial 2.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 117
  • CVI-2.jpg
    CVI-2.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 108
Blackadder1916 said:
Resurrecting this long dormant thread because I came across a piece of ephemera while digging through a box in search of something else.  It was a training aid from the mid-1980s which was a set of cards with photos of miniature models of armoured vehicles.  Ah, memories of the Cold War.

I shuffled the cards and randomly dealt out a few and scanned them.  Anyone want to take a crack?

Second row, 1st pic - BMD.

Blackadder1916 said:
Here are the two not previously identified.

Also a few more for some quick recognition drills.

Pic CVI-2. 

2nd pic - T72.

3rd pic - BTR 50

4th pic - BTR 60 early model.

Eye In The Sky said:
Pic CVI-2. 

2nd pic - T72.

3rd pic - BTR 50

4th pic - BTR 60 early model.

3 of 4.  Some hints on the other.

Attachments

• CVI-2 answers partial.jpg
    CVI-2 answers partial.jpg
    944.6 KB · Views: 71
Blackadder1916 said:
You got it.

Okay. I'll get a bit detailed here. I think the picture is of a 1960s era Kanonenjagdpanzer 90 (which is quite a different vehicle from a WW2 Jagdpanzer which generally meant the Jagdpanzer IV)

maxresdefault.jpg

Eye in the Sky, you're right about the return rollers. With the Jagdpanzer IV there were versions with three and four return rollers which, however, were always equidistant. (as an aside it also had more roadwheels than the Kannonenjagdpanzer) The Kanonenjagdpanzer, on the other hand had, three rollers of which the front two were closer together than the second was to the third. I've looked at some Roco Minitank models in 1/87 scale in which there was a version (like the one in the picture) where the two rear rollers were closer together. (Yeah. Yeah. I had a whole lot of Roco Minitanks when I was a kid)

ROCO-Minitanks-187-%C2%A0-Nr-173-Kanonenjagdpanzer.jpg

:cheers:

FJAG said:
Okay. I'll get a bit detailed here. . . .

Thanks for the detail.  The cards in the training aid that I've used does not delve down to that level and, considering the source (US  Army), probably was aimed at the lowest common denominator.  When I used them thirty odd years ago, it was certainly commented that there was a higher expectation for more detailed vehicle recognition in the Canadian Army.  We might not have had the tools for destroying them farther out, but at least we knew who to say hello to when they got close.

And though the name "Jagdpanzer" was used in multiple variations by the German Army, all the examples used in the trg aid were of contemporary vehicles expected to be encountered in NATO and Warsaw Pact forces of the 1980s.

Attachments

• Jagdpanzer according to the trg aid.jpg
    Jagdpanzer according to the trg aid.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 118
Back