• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"My taxes pay my salary" tangent split from the Liberal Minority Government 2019

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Halifax Tar said:
What is so wrong with people wanting to keep the money they earn ?

How is one person entitled to anothers earnings ?

... says a person paid by the government of Canada out of tax revenue...

dapaterson said:

...says another person paid by the Government of Canada out of tax revenue...

:not-again:

Are public employees somehow not entitled to do with their post-tax income as they legally wish?  If the Government wants more from people, then have the fortitude to raise taxes.  The legal source of ones income should have no place in arguments about whether one has a right to voice concern over efforts that influence that or any other person’s income.

Government and services cost money.  Complaining about taxes when they are what are paying you seems a tad... odd...

It's almost like I pay the same amount of my salary as someone else is paying of my salary as a public servant...by your logic we should ban public sector unions because they should just be happy they have jobs.

The average Canadian also already pays 42.5% of their salary in various taxes, there's only so much blood left in that stone.

dapaterson said:
Government and services cost money.  Complaining about taxes when they are what are paying you seems a tad... odd...

Why?  Does being a public servant take away one’s right to note concern about what affects their income.

I didn’t take you for a “I pay your taxes, so I can tell you what to do or how you should use your money” type....and using your argumentation, being a public servant as well, why should you feel entitled to comment on Halifax Tar’s comment?

dapaterson said:

This is such a ridiculous argument that comes around once in a while which makes zero sense. The extreme end of your argument means you'd have be a full-fledged communist to work in any level of government in any capacity, or maybe even any job period since there is so much corporate welfare these days (which wasn't what you voted for but it's forced upon you so I guess we should all just quit our jobs).

Everyone has a different perspective on what services are best to be provided by government. For some, it's limited to defence, police, judiciary, etc. For others, it has no limits.

If you're in the former category, and believe that defence is a legitimate role of the government, and serve in the CAF, and you're providing that legitimate requirement in exchange for income, it doesn't make you a hypocrite. FFS, you might be striving to make the CAF more efficient / more streamlined / less expensive for taxpayers, etc. because you are such a staunch believer in efficient, small government.

If you're a libertarian advocating for reduced size of government while working in the federal Redundancy Department of Redundancy, then maaaaaybe there's an argument that you're a hypocrite. But trying to extend that to any person who receives money form the government in any way shape or form is absolutely ridiculous....

dapaterson said:

Am I paid an earning or are you insinuating the CAF is some sort of welfare; and I should shut up and be grateful?

So, can "my taxes pay your salary!" be a thing again? Please? Now I'm long gone from the govt yoke I've been itching to whip that one out.

Target Up said:
So, can "my taxes pay your salary!" be a thing again?

My taxes pay my salary. Does that make me self-employed? I hope so because there's a hockey sock full of deductions I could now claim.

Can we get back to prognosticating about the future of our current government, please?

Good2Golf said:
...says another person paid by the Government of Canada out of tax revenue...

:not-again:

Are public employees somehow not entitled to do with their post-tax income as they legally wish?  If the Government wants more from people, then have the fortitude to raise taxes.  The legal source of ones income should have no place in arguments about whether one has a right to voice concern over efforts that influence that or any other person’s income.

That seemed just to obvious to bother saying yesterday but well done, because it appears it has to be said by somebody.

Obviously the issue is not that taxes have to be paid, and not just for wages but for everything that is a 'country's' needs. The issue is of course, who pays the taxes, and that is where the discussion should have gone.

Oh, and add in the issue of waste of taxpaayer's money for something else relevant to talk about.

Cheeers, Don.

Back