• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Career

I applaud the members who remain or did the full time!! I can't imagine the amount of crap they must of went through. However, I only been in for 20 years and the one thing I could say is how the military has changed, or maybe the generation of people has changed the military. 15 years ago, it was awesome to be a CAF member, now these days, the options are put up or get out!.
  In the Medical world, from my experience, people are not staying in anymore. Some have chosen to go back to school to better themselves, some OT'd, some chose to work odd jobs in the civie world. Most of these people have 12 years and less. Maybe this is not the place to say this but it's true. The common denominator is the lack of compassion, lack of good leadership within the branch, and the lack of comradery.

Yeah the CAF talks a big game with leadership. The organization has plenty of supervisors, managers, and executives. Leaders? Not so much.

After 20 years, my military career had came to an end last month due to an injury(s) I had been fighting for several years. I could of been release many years ago, but my pride got in the way. My decision to stop hiding came very clear to me after realizing during my last year or so. What I always knew came to light, especially when my daughter almost lost her life, my family will always be there, not the military. My CO turned her/ his back and told me " shit happens". I knew then, it was time to stop hiding.
    As of right now, I don't miss it ( the organization in whole, especially the politics that came with promotions). For the biggest part, I have met lots of outstanding people, people that I trust my life with. I like to think that it was a great experience and I have learned so much. For that, I am grateful. Had lots of laughs and made so many friends, that I will miss!.
    As a purple trade I had served with the majority of my career with the Army, some recruiting, and even sailed on the HMCS Iroquois for a year. I did a lot of travelling along with seven different postings. Up to the last two years, my experience had been great.  The last year and a bit I feel like I went through hell and back, constantly dealing with back stabbings and a chain of command that are useless. That was the biggest reason why I requested a posting to JPSU ( now transitioning unit). The transitioning unit was outstanding to me, my section commander was always there when I needed anything. If she didn't know something, she didn't hide or pretended to know, she went and found the answer and gotten back to me quickly!
      Now, my last several moths prior to my posting to the transitioning unit was under a command of an ex clerk who became a Commanding Officer.  A Commanding Officer who was approached by a Jnr Officer asking for support, the response was " You ask for support, I'll ask you your bra size". A CO that have been to the conflict resolution center four times in one year with people from the same unit. A CO that is supported by most Snr NCO who really thinks that any harassment complaints against the CO must go to that CO. An Snr NCO who said in front of many people, " Military Members with children that have special needs should not be in the military", the same Snr NCO who said, " A CO can say whatever he wants to anyone". The same Snr NCO received a leadership award.
      It took me a bit to write this after my release, I had to find some peace, not to be angry anymore, it wasn't worth it. I am not looking for attention, I just wanted to share this story.

I am sorry crap went sideways for you boss.

Heck it seems like every big organization has the exact same issue. I know once I quit, the following pay period, people will forget I ever existed with the company I work for now.

Take care of your family, ain't no one else going to do it.

To top it all off, thank you for your service. If you find yourself out in the north west, look me up, coffee is on me (a general extension to most the membership here too).

So any exciting plans for a second career, I can get you a job on choo choo trains if ya want ;) haha

Congrats on your retirement again mate 👍👊
Abdullah

Good luck Mediman, civilian life is the start of another career. Your military experience will be a plus. Again I wish all the best for the future.

AbdullahD said:
Heck it seems like every big organization has the exact same issue. I know once I quit, the following pay period, people will forget I ever existed with the company I work for now.

After a lifetime of camaraderie, there must be fellowship with those you served with.

That's why organizations have pensioner associations.

Mediman14 said:
An Snr NCO who said in front of many people, " Military Members with children that have special needs should not be in the military",

Said Snr NCO would be picking his teeth up off the ground if he had said that to me. What the fuck is wrong with people? Trust me, everyone would be better off if I didn't have a special needs child, not the least of whom would be my son, but it's not like we were given the choice.

Luckily, I had a good boss when I found out. I was prepared to quit because I didn't feel like I could do both, be in the military and be the parent of a special needs child. He told me, "if you quit, we can't help you" so I stayed in and with one or two exceptions I have had good experiences with my CoC. I never made it a crutch to skate out of things  and most of the people have realized I am willing to do everything required of me, but I may need a little extra notice to make things work smoothly.

I'm sorry you had such a rough go of it but I'm glad you seem to be on the other side of it now.

Tcm621 said:
Said Snr NCO would be picking his teeth up off the ground if he had said that to me. What the frig is wrong with people? Trust me, everyone would be better off if I didn't have a special needs child, not the least of whom would be my son, but it's not like we were given the choice.

Luckily, I had a good boss when I found out. I was prepared to quit because I didn't feel like I could do both, be in the military and be the parent of a special needs child. He told me, "if you quit, we can't help you" so I stayed in and with one or two exceptions I have had good experiences with my CoC. I never made it a crutch to skate out of things  and most of the people have realized I am willing to do everything required of me, but I may need a little extra notice to make things work smoothly.

I'm sorry you had such a rough go of it but I'm glad you seem to be on the other side of it now.

My kid brother has asperger's syndrome. I'd be inclined to pay your legal fees if any, if I witnessed a pos say that.

I don't have a special needs child, but my wife was quite ill for the last 6 or so weeks of her pregnancy and my Coc was quite understanding if I had to leave early or skip some training days. Thankfully the end of her pregnancy was during Christmas standdown.

Tcm621 said:
Said Snr NCO would be picking his teeth up off the ground if he had said that to me. What the frig is wrong with people? Trust me, everyone would be better off if I didn't have a special needs child, not the least of whom would be my son, but it's not like we were given the choice.

I have a beautiful daughter that has special needs. I simply got tired of fighting and trying to balance both worlds, not having the support of my CoC made the decision clear to me. My daughter was hospitalized three times and almost lost her life twice within a year, not once did that CoC had asked how things are going and if I needed anything. Instead my CO said to my face "shit happens" with a smile and walked away. It took every ounce of me not to hit him and walk away. But I did walk away for good.
    I wanted to place a complaint but I knew it would never go anywhere, just like all the other complaints against him. I thought of writing an article for the newspaper or even contacting CBC but I refused to have my daughter associated with that. I have to be better than that. And just to think of most Snr NCO in that unit received an leadership award from the CDS. All I could do is shake my head, I wish people are better vetted to receive some rewards or even some rewards should come from the bottom up.
    I gave it my all, I still feel betrayed but I can't let it get to me. I have to be better. I will never discourage anyone from the CAF, but I would tell them that your family will always be there for you, not the CAF, you are a number, to some you are lower than that.

Back