• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Moldy kit

Shrek1985

Inactive
Reaction score
I am looking for a way to clean moldy web gear and load bearing equipment.

The material is mostly nylon with some canvas.

There is a car wash down the street I can rent time on a power washer from, but I'd like a solution (no pun intended) that involves soaking some of it at a time in a bucket and then scrubbing if I have to.

The mold in question is this white stuff so common on our older webgear, but most of it also has a somewhat sticky/tacky texture. Though that may be the waterproofing that was likely added at some point.

Thanks for your time.

Shrek1985 said:
I am looking for a way to clean moldy web gear and load bearing equipment.

The material is mostly nylon with some canvas.

There is a car wash down the street I can rent time on a power washer from, but I'd like a solution (no pun intended) that involves soaking some of it at a time in a bucket and then scrubbing if I have to.

The mold in question is this white stuff so common on our older webgear, but most of it also has a somewhat sticky/tacky texture. Though that may be the waterproofing that was likely added at some point.

Thanks for your time.

Sounds like old gun tape residue if it's sticky/tacky....

Like NFLD Sapper, I tend to think your problem is old gun tape residue.

If so, a trick is to use some Cutex (nail polish remover) and rub it off as much as possible. You should be able to get just about all of it that way.

As for mould, if that is what it is, remember that you never use bleach on mould. Best bet is to soak in a strong dishwashing soap mixture and after well soaked, brush gently then rinse thoroughly. If it is mould, remember that if it has been on for a long time, it will have stained your webbing, and there is nothing that will remove that stain, even after the mould is gone.

NFLD Sapper said:
Sounds like old gun tape residue if it's sticky/tacky....

No, it's literally all over some of this gear. my thinking is; old water proofing spray gone way overboard.

What about CLR or oxy clean?

Was this gear issued to you this way?  If it was, it's unfit for use and should be returned for disposal.  On the other hand if you're responsible for its current condition...

Sadly, the only surefire way to get rid of old (which is a living organism) is to kill it with chlorine bleach and then scrub it out.  Unfortunately, that could also remove the colouring, which is bad (unless you're going to use it exclusively in winter conditions  [lol:)

Sounds like this is old style webgear so i doubt returning it is what the op wants. Likely just wants to keep some old stuff looking good.

Id try woolite first. Its what we use on our parachute rigs (civilian) it doesnt degrade the materials and cleans stuff nicely

sidemount said:
Sounds like this is old style webgear so i doubt returning it is what the op wants. Likely just wants to keep some old stuff looking good.

Id try woolite first. Its what we use on our parachute rigs (civilian) it doesnt degrade the materials and cleans stuff nicely

Bingo!

I'll add woolite to the list of possibles and the local home hardware has it!

I have always used CLR (diluted of course) and have had great results. But that's my experience. I, as a Supply Tech on the front counter at Clothing Stores, have often offered that opinion to customers and to my knowledge thay have had good results as well.

BinRat55 said:
I have always used CLR (diluted of course) and have had great results. But that's my experience. I, as a Supply Tech on the front counter at Clothing Stores, have often offered that opinion to customers and to my knowledge thay have had good results as well.

what level of dilution? and are off-brand CLR equivalents just as good?

If you care about UV you might want to do some research into which detergents make you light up like a bulb under the watchful eye of UV lights. ...of course that white mould is probably already doing it to you.

Shrek1985 said:
what level of dilution? and are off-brand CLR equivalents just as good?

Off-brand should be fine although I haven't tried any... and i am not a measurements kinda guy - i go "one glubb glubb, two glubb glubb" and add a bunch of steaming hot water till its covered. I let it sit for an hour, then pin it to my clothes line and pressure wach it. Like new!

BinRat55 said:
Off-brand should be fine although I haven't tried any... and i am not a measurements kinda guy - i go "one glubb glubb, two glubb glubb" and add a bunch of steaming hot water till its covered. I let it sit for an hour, then pin it to my clothes line and pressure wach it. Like new!

Really? That little? I bough a 4l jug and I was thinking; dump it all into a big bucket, add about 20L of water and dump my gear in. so that's a 5/1 dilution by my math.

If I use just a bit, can I just leave it in longer?

Back